Microsoft concession a supposed gamechanger that will promote competition (Bullshit) . Terms accepted by CMA for Microsoft acquisition.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

The decision​

In its original investigation, the CMA found Microsoft already held a strong position in relation to cloud gaming and blocked the deal.

The sale of Activision’s cloud streaming rights to Ubisoft will prevent the distribution of important, popular content – including games such as Call of Duty, Overwatch, and World of Warcraft – from coming under the control of Microsoft in relation to cloud gaming. The restructured deal substantially addressed the concerns that the CMA had following its original investigation, which concluded earlier this year.

The CMA did identify limited residual concerns with the new deal, but Microsoft gave undertakings that will ensure that the terms of the sale of Activision’s rights to Ubisoft are enforceable by the CMA.

The CMA consulted on these undertakings and is satisfied that this will provide the safety net needed to make sure this deal is properly implemented.

For more information, visit the Microsoft / Activision ex-cloud streaming rights case page

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Nothing says competition like consolidation. Nothing says competition like allowing a company worth 2.5 trillion make an acquisition worth close to 70% of the market cap of the company they are competing with.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
The regulators did try but the market cap of a company is never taken into consideration money alone would not solve your problems if it was the case Xbox would be the very first it isn't because people like Nintendo and playstation and their brand is sticky

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
The Ubisoft deal is only for 15 years so no it is not competition. Just admit you got paid off.

Anything is available to be purchased now. Any regulation pushback will look so stupid after this.
But I think the deal allows for MS to buy Ubisoft in 10. 15 years is utter wank.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
I wonder if this Acti X MS bought was the reason Jimbo left, i would lose the little respect i had for him if it's the case

Imagine depending on Activision, would be pathetic

Reactions: Kokoloko

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
I wonder if this Acti X MS bought was the reason Jimbo left, i would lose the little respect i had for him if it's the case

Imagine depending on Activision, would be pathetic
He jumped ship it is one of the reason he wanted to block the Activision deal he shoved playstation with a gaas future

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are junk IP. They’re worthless to Activision too as they’ve moved all devs, literally every studio, to working on CoD.

Buying companies for IPs is trash. Just look what Disney did to Star Wars…. Sure if they just want to build a gamepass catalog of classics.

I’m totally fine with this purchase. Blizzard is heading towards oblivion after Diablo 4 megaflopped and retail CoD already cannabilized by f2p Warzone.

The moment Kotick is gone the Activision people actually enjoyed is dead. It’ll go the way of 343, Arkane and now what seems to be Turn 10. Institutional decay from Microsoft will spread.

RIP Activision

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Xbox now owns Crash Bandicoot (Mark Cerny - Naughty Dog creation) and Spyro the Dragon (Mark Cerny and Insomniac creation) 😳😳

If this doesn't force Sony to stop being complacent and start securing IPs, then nothing will !
Hopefully the next president has a strong backbone and understand whats going on

• haha
Reactions: Banana and JAHGamer

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are junk IP. They’re worthless to Activision too as they’ve moved all devs, literally every studio, to working on CoD.

Buying companies for IPs is trash. Just look what Disney did to Star Wars…. Sure if they just want to build a gamepass catalog of classics.

I’m totally fine with this purchase. Blizzard is heading towards oblivion after Diablo 4 megaflopped and retail CoD already cannabilized by f2p Warzone.

The moment Kotick is gone the Activision people actually enjoyed is dead. It’ll go the way of 343, Arkane and now what seems to be Turn 10. Institutional decay from Microsoft will spread.

RIP Activision
Crash works when done right. You need to make an effort for those type of controller breaking games, hard but not mentally destructive with memorable characters. Crash is a great IP provided you don't fuck it up.

Knack is a tough game with a child coating. It was too hard for kids to play but not compelling enough for adults. Crash Bandicoot lands perfect as it is hard but adults don't look stupid for failing at a kids looking game. Crash also has history and older games tended to be harder and players forgave this. The remakes allowed for the new generation to accept the old ways for Crash. In the PS4 era, new IP that looks like a kids game needs to be an easier experience.

Abdizur

Banned
5 Aug 2023
Pathetic.
Big mega corps can do & buy whatever they want and no one is stopping them.
Sad to see that a ton of politicans are bought by MS in the USA. So they keep getting what they want.
What a country....

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
MS turns everything it touches into shit. I hope the video game market is resilient enough.

Reactions: toadsage44