Microsoft is talking to japanese publishers about acquisitions. Let's guess the next big Xbox acquisition.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Microsoft are reportedly in talks with big Japanese publishers but also smaller development studios over potential acquisitions claims games industry journalist Imran Khan in the Giant Bombcast episode 756 .
"[Microsoft] talked with major Japanese publishers about acquisitions," Khan said. "I can't speak on how far those conversations got but they are very clearly interested in some Japanese publishers and smaller studios."
Khan argues that Xbox Game Pass will come to a point where licencing costs will be so high that it makes more sense for Microsoft to simply buy the studio or publisher and all their IPs. He also adds that Phil Spencer's recent comments on acquisitions are not random and that the company certainly has plans in mind on where to go next in terms of buying more studios.

Source

As I have said many times: After the Activision-Blizzard deal goes through, Microsoft will go after a japanese publisher. For many years now Microsoft mentioned that they want to acquire studios in Japan. And after the Activision acquisition deal goes through, it will be SEGA who's going to join Xbox next.

Sega and Microsoft have been partners for a very long time. Sega backed Xbox day 1 when the very first Xbox launched.
Sonic, Persona Shenmue, Bayonetta, Space Channel, Phantasy Star, Shin Megami Tensei, Skies of Arcadia and all the other Sega IPs will all be Microsoft Xbox IPs soon. Available on Xbox Game Pass. Boosting Xbox GP's value to unreachable heights.

The Activision-Blizzard deal will go through in Q1 2023. I'm expecting the Sega acquisition announcement in Q3 or Q4 2023.

PS: Stop with the "Bu... but an american company can't buy a japanes publisher" BS. That's nonsense and has been debunked several times already.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Where have you been Sleepyhead, not seen you in ages,

Great to see you back.

Confused Biden GIF by Luis Ricardo

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
I could see Sega happening. But I think the Activision deal will complete till Q2 2023. Also, I think MS will not attempt another multi-billion dollar acquisition for at least a year. They'll need things to cool down for them after Activision.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They are trying for years already.

That means:

1) Studios don’t want to be brought by MS.
Or.
2) Studios wants more than what MS is proposing.

But to be fair cultural Japanese companies doesn’t like to be owned by American companies… so it become difficult… there are exceptions so I hope MS finds it own.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I could see Sega happening. But I think the Activision deal will complete till Q2 2023. Also, I think MS will not attempt another multi-billion dollar acquisition for at least a year. They'll need things to cool down for them after Activision.
Sega is not happening, unless MS intends to get into everything Sega produces which includes arcades and other media. Sega is extremely unlikely to be acquired by anyone since it's not only a game publisher.

P

peter42O

Personally, im far more interested in western studios and publishers than I am eastern but nevertheless, if Microsoft acquires a Japanese publisher, my money would be on Sega as they seem to be very close the last 2+ years and they seem to fit in with Microsoft's direction. I would prefer Capcom the most and by far with Square Enix second and Sega a distant third. There's no other Japanese publisher that is of any interest to me.

In general, I believe that Microsoft's next massive acquisition will be Electronic Arts in 2024. They want to sell and no one will offer more money than Microsoft. Plus, they would definitely cement Xbox as being the place to go for first person shooters and first person games in general. Having COD and BF would be massive. Sports games would all stay multi-platform and bring in a shit ton of money and could perhaps be a platform with paid roster updates and whatnot instead of annual releases. Respawn would be a steal. BioWare with Dragon Age and Mass Effect would make their WRPG direction pretty much the clear cut best by far.

Aside from EA, I can see a smaller AA publisher like Embracer Group or Focus Entertainment being acquired by Microsoft. Development studio wise, I believe that Microsoft acquires Asobo Studio and Certain Affinity. I'm hoping they can get People Can Fly who earlier today had Take Two Interactive void out their contract with them. I personally would like to see Microsoft pick them up. Another AA studio I would love would be Techland. Absolutely love Dying Light 2 which is currently my 2022 game of the year and im looking forward to seeing what their fantasy RPG ends up being. Would love to see them acquire Neon Giant who developed The Ascent which I loved and would like to see an AAA sequel to it with a high budget.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
If they're already under scrutiny with buying Activision ( which still hasn't gotten through), what makes you think a third major purchase wouldn't set off the alarms for regulators? MS has enough studios even without ac/ blizzard, they should focus on actually getting games out.

Also once again,man did giantbomb fall on hard times. Reduced to having someone as lame as Jeff Grubb on your show is sad.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If they're already under scrutiny with buying Activision ( which still hasn't gotten through), what makes you think a third major purchase wouldn't set off the alarms for regulators? MS has enough studios even without ac/ blizzard, they should focus on actually getting games out.

Also once again,man did giantbomb fall on hard times. Reduced to having someone as lame as Jeff Grubb on your show is sad.
Ohhhh it come from Grubb? That makes sense.
I agree they won’t announce anything until Activision deal is closed… that means nothing until half 2023.

P

peter42O

Grubb is great. Guy is 85%+ accurate according those who follow and post all his predictions and whatnot on Reddit. PlayStation fans must still be very salty that he was correct a year in advance with regards to Kojima working with Microsoft on an exclusive for Xbox. Hell, even I knew that shit and im a nobody yet everyone thought he was full of shit but obviously not. lol

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
another fake story with faked opinion. this Grubb dude is retarded or just pushing m$ nonsense.
go into Japan laws, make research about acquisitions.

• brain
Reactions: EDMIX