Microsoft Q1: Gaming revenue increased 9%, while Xbox hardware revenue declined 7%

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Tbh, Xbox 360 was a total aberration. It's a shame Sony dropped the ball that gen because Xbox would be dead and buried already. Instead they gained mind share and cultivated, well, a cult capitalising on Sony's mistakes in the USA. Xbox went from ~25 mil to <80 mil that gen. They'll be back down there this gen but it took too long.
Sony came back creating and establishing some of the best ips and sequels ever and holding the graphics mantle in exclusive games from tht point on. It was the era of Uncharted 2, TLOU, the best looking Games ever at tht point and establishing Uncharted, it was Killzone 2 and many others. The end of the PS3 era is what brought mindshare back and helped propel PS4 along with Xbox fuck ups.

So tht era was a give and take.

Last edited:

Badaboom

24 Oct 2023
Sony came back creating and establishing some of the best ips and sequels ever and holding the graphics mantle in exclusive games from tht pont on. It was the era of Uncharted 2 the best looking Gane ever at tht point and establishing Uncharted, it was Killzone 2 and many others. The end of the PS3 era is what brought mindshare back abs helped propel PS4 along with Xbox fuck ups.

GOW3!
Infamous!

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Netflix made 8 billion in revenue and 4 billion in profit yet are raising sub fees all around smh.
You need to understand Netflix needs to pay a lot of dividend to banks… so these profits are not accurate because they got a lot of money from banks.

Netflix profit is actually around 20% of their revenue ($1.6b last quarter)… it is indeed needs to take actions to increase it.

They are predicting 22-23% for next FY.
They are in the right path btw.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
dumb Xbox fans acting like this is some kind of W, "see guys Xbox has moved beyond hardware, this is awesome!" 🤦‍♂️ cheering on the death of their console is just speeding up the possibility of Xbox becoming a 3rd party publisher.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Corporations are so fucking disgusting. Microsoft posted over $22 billion in profits just this quarter and yet had several rounds of layoffs of tens of thousands of workers. Absolutely disgraceful.
Layoffs help cause profits, the two are related. I say that as someone who might be longterm staring down the barrel of a gun, myself.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
dumb Xbox fans acting like this is some kind of W, "see guys Xbox has moved beyond hardware, this is awesome!" 🤦‍♂️ cheering on the death of their console is just speeding up the possibility of Xbox becoming a 3rd party publisher.
While still capping for the hardware at the same time. Lol. These dudes write the jokes for us every time.

Reactions: JAHGamer

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Corporations are so fucking disgusting. Microsoft posted over $22 billion in profits just this quarter and yet had several rounds of layoffs of tens of thousands of workers. Absolutely disgraceful.
They are trillion dollar company after all.
They needs to reach a profit margin that a trillion company should have.

If not then why you are a trillion dollar company? It should be better to be several smaller company with better profits.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You need to understand Netflix needs to pay a lot of dividend to banks… so these profits are not accurate because they got a lot of money from banks.

Netflix profit is actually around 20% of their revenue ($1.6b last quarter)… it is indeed needs to take actions to increase it.

They are predicting 22-23% for next FY.
They are in the right path btw.
I am very aware of companies accounts payable situations (in my line of work I work with budgets) and liabilities. However I can only go by the profits stated by the Corp. My comment still stands they are making alot of profit irregardless of what they might owe and still raising sub prices.

They are beasting!

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony didn’t drop the ball the generation. Microsoft launched early and paid off publishers to keep games off the PS2 and PS3 for a bit, and once Sony had fully transitioned to that generation they never looked back.

Never forget, a significant amount of 360 sales the first three years were idiots buying replacements due to the RROD.

Sony came back creating and establishing some of the best ips and sequels ever and holding the graphics mantle in exclusive games from tht point on. It was the era of Uncharted 2, TLOU, the best looking Games ever at tht point and establishing Uncharted, it was Killzone 2 and many others. The end of the PS3 era is what brought mindshare back and helped propel PS4 along with Xbox fuck ups.

Sony were amazing come tail end (and for me, from the start - I loved Resistance and Uncharted both) but if they hadn't designed a console that required a $600 price tag, they mightve fared better. Who knows, though. Blu-ray won the format wars because of it, and the game quality of Sony 1P was beyond their competitors in the end.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
These people are getting paid to say the same script
They're mad that ps5 kicked xbox ass in September even with starfield release
And spiderman 2 sells made them more angry 🤣

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sony were amazing come tail end (and for me, from the start - I loved Resistance and Uncharted both) but if they hadn't designed a console that required a $600 price tag, they mightve fared better. Who knows, though. Blu-ray won the format wars because of it, and the game quality of Sony 1P was beyond their competitors in the end.
Yup and they were losing money on every sale close to $300

"Sony will lose over $300 on each 20GB PS3 sold, "And a further US$ 240 on high-end 60GB unit," according to research. What a strange business plan. According to gamesindustry.biz, Sony will lose over $300 on each 20GB PS3 sold, "And a further US$ 240 on high-end 60GB unit".Nov"

Thts unheard of abd obviously not a good buisness practice but it happened.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Layoffs help cause profits, the two are related. I say that as someone who might be longterm staring down the barrel of a gun, myself.
The amount of layoffs they did would have decreased their profit margins by a negligible amount. If we take Satya's CEO pay ratio as 250:1 the average employee, that means on average each employee makes ~$200k. 10,000 jobs would be ~half a billion dollars in that quarter. It's unconscionable to sacrifice tens of thousands of jobs for <3% increase in profit when they're already making crazy profits. And the fact that you are staring down the barrel of layoffs and still defending this kind of practice is honestly mind-boggling.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Blu-Ray wasn’t going to lose that format war by the simple fact that every major studio was on Blu and every manufacturer except Toshiba was in the format consortium.

HD-DVD was a technically inferior format created due to Toshiba wanting more than their share of the pie after fucking up with their proposed extensions to the DVD format that delayed consumer DVD from releasing for two whole years and their tech being discarded in the end, and Microsoft throwing a tantrum that their inferior video codec was not part of the Blu standard.

The PS3 helped Blu-Ray take off a bit quicker, but HD-DVD was a dead man walking from day one. Hell, the disc rot issue that has destroyed most HD-DVD discs was starting to be an issue a year after the format launched!

Last edited:
  • party
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Hardware down every quarter for an entire year, down 7 percent in this case. Entire revenue up single digits despite slop field launch. New series S consoles didn’t do anything. Abysmal anyway you slice it.
What is hardware decline compare to?
Is it last quarter or year on year.