Microsoft Says Activision Shouldn't Have Pulled Call of Duty From Steam

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
If you're not on Steam, you're not on PC. Death to Battle.net, Epic Games, Ubisoft Connect, EA Origin, and any other "launcher" cluttering my PC or requiring a new account on console. It's good to see Microsoft recognizing Activision's failure here. One positive that could come from MS buying Activision would be the shuttering of Battle.net for Blizzard games in favor of Steam.

It should be said that MS is only halfway decent on PC. While they rightly support Steam, all Xbox 1st party games require a Microsoft login which fucks up the user experience.
proof that PC gamers are one of the worst fanboys in gaming 😂 cheering on monopolies

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Microsoft's gaming division and Valve are both primarily storefronts/platforms, which makes it a horizontal rather than vertical merger from that angle (that means it would historically get more scrutiny, not less.)
Microsoft's gaming division is also a content publishing rival to ABK/Bethesda? Microsoft Xbox is a publisher, and own studios that produce content and compete for a finite pool of consumers and their dollars (on Xbox, PC, Switch and PS). Vertical/Horizontal... if there is a will to kill a deal it gets killed, point blank. If there is not, everything gets subverted and corrupted by "correct" interpretations of what's "actually" happening. You would think this merger process would have gotten that across clearly to anyone watching but nope. Fairy land still. Here is a hint: you make your own reality - provided you're capable and have the means to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: nongkris

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Don't be surprised if the cat goes out the bag that MS is acquiring Steam in the mid-term future - 5-6 yrs from now (or at least attempting, planning, devising the strategy). MS will definitely try if they feel confident in their position on cloud and that the cloud "future" is prime and has arrived and they're in the driver's seat. It will be the coup de grace. The final touch sort of speak on their strategy. Absorbing Steam to turn that userbase into subscription sheep and transition them slowly to the cloud is a most logical step. Too machiavellian for it to not occur. I can almost guarantee it. Private company too - easy. Just a dollar term and everyone has a price. I've step back from Steam for that and several other reasons. Ain't gonna hook me with the library trap - which is one the main reasons why Valve is a storefront monopoly.
That should be pretty good for MS.
Way better than buying AB for example.

They always wanted to have it own store but failed miserably every time… buying Steam is the best and fastest way to do it.

Plus Gabe will probably retiring in some years and there is no apparent successor for him… nobody knows what will happen with Steam after that.

• brain
Reactions: KnittedKnight

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Don't be surprised if the cat goes out the bag that MS is acquiring Steam in the mid-term future - 5-6 yrs from now (or at least attempting, planning, devising the strategy). MS will definitely try if they feel confident in their position on cloud and that the cloud "future" is prime and has arrived and they're in the driver's seat. It will be the coup de grace. The final touch sort of speak on their strategy. Absorbing Steam to turn that userbase into subscription sheep and transition them slowly to the cloud is a most logical step. Too machiavellian for it to not occur. I can almost guarantee it. Private company too - easy. Just a dollar term and everyone has a price. I've step back from Steam for that and several other reasons. Ain't gonna hook me with the library trap - which is one the main reasons why Valve is a storefront monopoly.
Preposterous

Reactions: Banana

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Preposterous
Episode 2 GIF by BBC Three

Sorry, couldn't resist.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Preposterous
You know it to be true. There is a probability - the percentage just varies opinion wise per individual. But don't let fear of a hypothetical get in the way of heavy library investment on Steam. Valve would never... Ant-trust would never.... that should make you sleep well at night for the time being.

• haha

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
You know it to be true. There is a probability - the percentage just varies opinion wise per individual. But don't let fear of a hypothetical get in the way of heavy library investment on Steam. Valve would never... Ant-trust would never.... that should make you sleep well at night for the time being.
More than those things I just don't think it's a possibility.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Man you guys really are all torn up about COD.

• thisistheway
Reactions: flaccidsnake

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
If you think most people are upset because CoD you do really need to touch grass.
Or step on a banana peel.

Can't compensate perceived trolling with cheap trolling on something that is plausible - and they know it - no matter the denial front. It's a seed of doubt against the faith, with makes them extremely vulnerable, regardless of them wanting to hear it or not. Much less should it gain momentum on gamers discourse, thus the reflex reaction is to stamp it out early - redicule. Of course it should be part of discourse, serious discourse - no one's safe.

Like I often say, Windows Gaming is PC. Sooner or later daddy MS will take control of what's theirs wholesale. From MS POV ....there is way too many users on Steam just ripe for milking, and at home (Windows) too. Putting all your gaming stock on a private company and Gabe is not a sound business invesment to say the least. MS is who they are.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Or step on a banana peel.

Can't compensate perceived trolling with cheap trolling on something that is plausible - and they know it - no matter the denial front. It's a seed of doubt against the faith, with makes them extremely vulnerable, regardless of them wanting to hear it or not. Much less should it gain momentum on gamers discourse, thus the reflex reaction is to stamp it out early - redicule. Of course it should be part of discourse, serious discourse - no one's safe.

Like I often say, Windows Gaming is PC. Sooner or later daddy MS will take control of what's theirs wholesale. From MS POV ....there is way too many users on Steam just ripe for milking, and at home (Windows) too. Putting all your gaming stock on a private company and Gabe is not a sound business invesment to say the least. MS is who they are.

I love to make wild claims and prove them with "you know it to be true".

Unlike Activision-Blizzard which is publicly traded, Valve would actually have to want to sell. Valve spent the last 10 years investing in largely open source Linux development, at a loss. They've decoupled the whole lineage of PC gaming from DOS/Windows, which is a moat for MS' monopoly. They've developed their own Linux OS as a better base for gaming than Windows. While they're happy to have Xbox games on Steam, this is not a company that's positioning itself to mesh with Microsoft.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
You can believe what you want to believe. If Valve was Japanese or Chinese maybe I'll buy the "don't want to sell" angle due to "economic national security concerns" aka the politics angle (which is absolutely a real thing) but they're an American company, in Washington state (home of MS), operating on the Windows platform for the overwhelming majority of their business, founded by ex-MS employees and who, when pushed to pick a side in the console wars, always picked the MS side (and does so today). For that, and the many other reasons that I've stated in my previous posts I'm fully of the opposite opinion.

It's a legitimate seed of doubt and it should hang overhead for anyone that cares about their long-term platform investment in this new era of consolidation. Again, no western dev house and software distribution platform is safe - much less on PC, Microsoft's home turf, of all places. The funniest thing is seeing PCMR Valve fanboys believe they're safe with Gabe and that all these shenanigans affect evil Sony only - the eternal enemy on consoles - while PC gets a free ride as if there is some imaginary block preventing Microsoft from gobbling up Steam. There is not. When you get away with acquiring the biggest publisher on the planet, as well as a private company like Valve in Bethesda, another publisher, back-2-back and the whole system of check and balances crumbles at your corrupting feet no one, specially one as attractive like Valve, is safe.

One of the many reasons monopolies and duopolies are bad. So yeah the sheep can cheer Epic's Game Store being insignificant, while throwing all your money and loyalty at Steam like faithful, mindless servants - ok. Will Valve be as loyal to you? It's a for profit corp - always press X for doubt. "Loyalty" has a price - it's just a slider to the right, in this case, measured in billions of dollars. The real question is how important Microsoft believes Valve consumer base on PC is to their long-term strategic plans - that has a dollar value like everything else. In layman - your Steam library being for sale.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
I think it's time for every big company to face it: Steam is PC's default store front/launcher.
No other company has even come close to Steam's software quality, features, pricing and trust.
Steam has been around for like, 20 years, it alleviated the platform's big piracy issue, it made it's way into markets outside of the big ones way sooner than the others, with prices that matched their economic conditions. I paid for games on steam in my local currency way before Sony ever set up their local PSN, back then I used to have to get PS gift cards from amazon us. Meanwhile I paid like 5 usd on call of Juarez bound in blood back then.
Even until very recently I couldn't even buy Minecraft Java edition with local currency, only way I got it was when MS decided to bundle Bedrock and Java together.
Point is, Steam has been around, for a long time, it has good features for users, it's overall a really stable software and as a storefront it brought accessible price to multiple countries, it also has almost 2 decades of user trust, and purchases on it.
Yeah, you have many options of launchers and storefronts on pc, but none even comes closes to steam. EA Play is mediocre, Epic Launcher is trash, it barely works and downloads on it never work properly, Xbox App is super trash, it always finds a random issue with it's app and you're forced to do a windows update, sometimes it doesn't even download properly, other times it just doesn't let you install on other drives, it's random ass encryption bullshit sometimes even duplicates installs and murders your disk space (PSO2), gog is fine though
So why should I bother with anyone that isn't steam at this point?

• brain

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I think it's time for every big company to face it: Steam is PC's default store front/launcher.
No other company has even come close to Steam's software quality, features, pricing and trust.
Steam has been around for like, 20 years, it alleviated the platform's big piracy issue, it made it's way into markets outside of the big ones way sooner than the others, with prices that matched their economic conditions. I paid for games on steam in my local currency way before Sony ever set up their local PSN, back then I used to have to get PS gift cards from amazon us. Meanwhile I paid like 5 usd on call of Juarez bound in blood back then.
Even until very recently I couldn't even buy Minecraft Java edition with local currency, only way I got it was when MS decided to bundle Bedrock and Java together.
Point is, Steam has been around, for a long time, it has good features for users, it's overall a really stable software and as a storefront it brought accessible price to multiple countries, it also has almost 2 decades of user trust, and purchases on it.
Yeah, you have many options of launchers and storefronts on pc, but none even comes closes to steam. EA Play is mediocre, Epic Launcher is trash, it barely works and downloads on it never work properly, Xbox App is super trash, it always finds a random issue with it's app and you're forced to do a windows update, sometimes it doesn't even download properly, other times it just doesn't let you install on other drives, it's random ass encryption bullshit sometimes even duplicates installs and murders your disk space (PSO2), gog is fine though
Their storefront is too good to replaced by anything else, but hope they sort their stupid credit card thing. Everytime I want to buy something on Steam I have to call my bank, both my debit card and Rakuten credit card got flagged at the same time.

Honestly I want to spend money for my Steam Deck, is it that hard.

BlueLyria

Icon Extra
29 Apr 2023
Their storefront is too good to replaced by anything else, but hope they sort their stupid credit card thing. Everytime I want to buy something on Steam I have to call my bank, both my debit card and Rakuten credit card got flagged at the same time.

Honestly I want to spend money for my Steam Deck, is it that hard.
Honestly, That hasn't happened to me ever, only time I got flagged was buying shit on Genshin and Tower of Fantasy, but those were quickly resolved. But I get how that is annoying af, you should consider getting into contact with your bank support so they don't flag steam transactions

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Facts. This was even true back in 2018 when a lot of big publishers stupidly shunned Steam in favor of EGS or their own half-baked garbage. Today Valve is going even farther, offering a user experience that gives Xbox and Playstation a run for their money. I'm looking forward to the day my PC can boot directly to a gamepad-friendly TV menu, and a single buy on Steam essentially gets you PC+console+handheld experiences with cloud synchronized saves.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
You can believe what you want to believe. If Valve was Japanese or Chinese maybe I'll buy the "don't want to sell" angle due to "economic national security concerns" aka the politics angle (which is absolutely a real thing) but they're an American company, in Washington state (home of MS), operating on the Windows platform for the overwhelming majority of their business, founded by ex-MS employees and who, when pushed to pick a side in the console wars, always picked the MS side (and does so today). For that, and the many other reasons that I've stated in my previous posts I'm fully of the opposite opinion.

It's a legitimate seed of doubt and it should hang overhead for anyone that cares about their long-term platform investment in this new era of consolidation. Again, no western dev house and software distribution platform is safe - much less on PC, Microsoft's home turf, of all places. The funniest thing is seeing PCMR Valve fanboys believe they're safe with Gabe and that all these shenanigans affect evil Sony only - the eternal enemy on consoles - while PC gets a free ride as if there is some imaginary block preventing Microsoft from gobbling up Steam. There is not. When you get away with acquiring the biggest publisher on the planet by rev, as well as a private company like Valve in Bethesda, another publisher, back-2-back and the whole system of check and balances crumbles at your corrupting feet no one, specially one as attractive like Valve is safe.

One of the many reasons monopolies and duopolies are bad. So yeah the sheep can cheer Epic's Game Store being insignificant, while throwing all your money and loyalty at Steam like faithful, mindless servants - ok. Will Valve be as loyal to you? It's a for profit corp - always press X for doubt. "Loyalty" has a price - it's just a slider to the right, in this case, measured in billions of dollars. The real question is how important Microsoft believes Valve consumer base on PC is to their long-term strategic plans - that has a dollar value like everything else. In layman - your Steam library being for sale.
Yep, if MS acquired Steam they'd pretty much own all of gaming. And given the connections between the companies like you've stated, I see it happening sooner rather than later, as Microsoft's PC gamepass ambitions get kind of stifled when you think of the Steam loyalty people have.

• thinking_hard