Microsoft Says Activision Shouldn't Have Pulled Call of Duty From Steam

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Their storefront is too good to replaced by anything else, but hope they sort their stupid credit card thing. Everytime I want to buy something on Steam I have to call my bank, both my debit card and Rakuten credit card got flagged at the same time.

Honestly I want to spend money for my Steam Deck, is it that hard.
Never happened to me. Did you use a VPN or set your location to some 3rd world country to get regional pricing?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
How can MS make that statement about ACTI? Where's that "no fucking way" email screenshot about their games on competing platforms?

I kinda hope ACTI walks with their better share price, and 3B to boot.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
How can MS make that statement about ACTI? Where's that "no fucking way" email screenshot about their games on competing platforms?

I kinda hope ACTI walks with their better share price, and 3B to boot.
MS considers Steam (dubiously) as part of the "Xbox ecosystem".

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
MS considers Steam (dubiously) as part of the "Xbox ecosystem".
By market reality it's part of the Windows Gaming ecosystem. Xbox is just a trojan horse to keep consoles in check. The only difference between full ownership and the current status quo is not pocketing the revenue 100%, and milking that user-base to death with business/monetization ideas of their own. Phil rains praise on Steam and talks as someone that has plans for it - which I'm sure they do.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
By market reality it's part of the Windows Gaming ecosystem. Xbox is just a trojan horse to keep consoles in check. The only difference between full ownership and the current status quo is not pocketing the revenue 100%, and milking that user-base to death with business/monetization ideas of their own. Phil rains praise on Steam and talks as someone that has plans for it - which I'm sure they do.
"Not pocketing 100%"... actually pocketing 0%. :|

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Valve hates Microsoft and created the Steam Deck specifically so it wouldn't have to live in MS's world. It is also the world's biggest PC games storefront and a direct MS competitor. Its one of the few games companies that Microsoft legitimately would be blocked from buying for anticompetitiveness concerns (along with such "gaming" companies as Apple, Facebook, Amazon and then perhaps Epic due to EGS.)
I think because the gaming market includes mobile games, technically buying steam wouldnt mean MS has a monopoly even if they buy Steam and EA etc. I dont know, I just remember mobile gaming is included in alot of gaming market charts.
Obviously it would be less smooth than the Activision purchase but everyone will bend at the end

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think because the gaming market includes mobile games, technically buying steam wouldnt mean MS has a monopoly even if they buy Steam and EA etc. I dont know, I just remember mobile gaming is included in alot of gaming market charts.
Obviously it would be less smooth than the Activision purchase but everyone will bend at the end
There've been a lot of arguments about what types of gaming are and are not in the same market but I don't think anyone will argue that Steam, which is the leading seller of high end PC games (to the extent that you can argue its a naturally formed monopoly,) is in the same market as mobile.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There've been a lot of arguments about what types of gaming are and are not in the same market but I don't think anyone will argue that Steam, which is the leading seller of high end PC games (to the extent that you can argue its a naturally formed monopoly,) is in the same market as mobile.
I agree, I just dont know how everyone else see’s it. or what the official market is etc

Banana

10 Jan 2023
You can believe what you want to believe. If Valve was Japanese or Chinese maybe I'll buy the "don't want to sell" angle due to "economic national security concerns" aka the politics angle (which is absolutely a real thing) but they're an American company, in Washington state (home of MS), operating on the Windows platform for the overwhelming majority of their business, founded by ex-MS employees and who, when pushed to pick a side in the console wars, always picked the MS side (and does so today). For that, and the many other reasons that I've stated in my previous posts I'm fully of the opposite opinion.

It's a legitimate seed of doubt and it should hang overhead for anyone that cares about their long-term platform investment in this new era of consolidation. Again, no western dev house and software distribution platform is safe - much less on PC, Microsoft's home turf, of all places. The funniest thing is seeing PCMR Valve fanboys believe they're safe with Gabe and that all these shenanigans affect evil Sony only - the eternal enemy on consoles - while PC gets a free ride as if there is some imaginary block preventing Microsoft from gobbling up Steam. There is not. When you get away with acquiring the biggest publisher on the planet, as well as a private company like Valve in Bethesda, another publisher, back-2-back and the whole system of check and balances crumbles at your corrupting feet no one, specially one as attractive like Valve, is safe.

One of the many reasons monopolies and duopolies are bad. So yeah the sheep can cheer Epic's Game Store being insignificant, while throwing all your money and loyalty at Steam like faithful, mindless servants - ok. Will Valve be as loyal to you? It's a for profit corp - always press X for doubt. "Loyalty" has a price - it's just a slider to the right, in this case, measured in billions of dollars. The real question is how important Microsoft believes Valve consumer base on PC is to their long-term strategic plans - that has a dollar value like everything else. In layman - your Steam library being for sale.
A private company is inherently safer than a public one.

Remember, if Steam goes bad we can always just pirate our games.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
A private company is inherently safer than a public one.

Remember, if Steam goes bad we can always just pirate our games.
With regards to an acquisition? Nope. Although it's contextual on the make up of ownership.

Private companies usually have one, or few owners. Easier to reach consensus if the money is right. Publicly traded corps can sometimes have big institutional shareholders or competitors of the company proposing the merger so that can outright kill a deal due to conflicting vested interests. Public splash also brings unnecessary attention. That's why you see certain corps buy shares in another corp that is essential to their market - more so than to just earn money, to make sure they have a say in the direction of said company, to stave off aggressive buyouts by the competition, get wind of rumours/partnerships or otherwise.

With Valve I'm more inclined to say they're a much easier target for a variety of reasons as I described. Gabe is majority owner, who knows what the rest of the make up is and the splits, but again should be few. If the majority owner wants to sell, and the money is more than right - as is usually the case when MS bids for anyone it should be no problem.

$10-$20 billion can get it done - of course that's just a guess.

Piracy is not the answer to the PC platform. The reason Steam is beloved is mainly because it brought order to Windows Gaming, something Microsoft failed to do which gave consoles pretty much uncontested control of the premium games market. One of the many reasons Xbox exist - a trojan horse to fight the tide. But sure you got piracy....🫢

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That would just mean all the titles on gamepass that are on steam would get less sales same reason it would be insanity to allow it on PlayStation / nintendo , it would only benefit Microsoft
If Valve allows EA Play they would allow Gamepass, so would Sony actually all it would take is for MS to make an specific tier for those platform, exactly like EA did.

Right now MS is the one that probably doesn't want it because they still dream about pushing people towards Xbox and their windows store.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
If Valve allows EA Play they would allow Gamepass, so would Sony actually all it would take is for MS to make an specific tier for those platform, exactly like EA did.

Right now MS is the one that probably doesn't want it because they still dream about pushing people towards Xbox and their windows store.
Pretty sure EA games aren't on steam that's the reason it's on steam because they aren't losing any sales