"Microsoft wants to move Windows fully to the cloud"

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I disagree. All hardware needs an OS that provides unanimity and supported by a single entity to keep pace with progress. Hence, why Windows, out of many other reasons, including MS's dirty bag of tricks relegated Linux to a fart in the wind.

The argument would be more appealing if we're talking Mac and iOS, but there is a reason Apple got curbstomped too. And MS is not going to force a transition without many prerequisites being in place (so as not to leave a nasty gaping whole ready to be exploited opportunistically by anyone - they're not that stupid). That doesn't stop them from thinking about how to do it and working towards this goal, bit by bit.

Those investing on MS dominated or dependent platforms (PC, Valve and Xbox) can't say they weren't warned.
The linux desktop is a fart in the wind, linux is fucking everywhere. Even microsoft is a heavy linux 'customer'. What Valve has done does effectively decouple "PC Gaming" from "Windows Gaming", and that's a big deal. Apple is already using this tech to improve gaming support on OSX. One of the "dirty tricks" for a long time was controlling the gaming APIs rather than supporting standards. That grip is loosened a lot now. It could be loosened even more if more devs adopted Vulkan and used portable APIs rather than DX.

Steam is able to "provide unanimity" and be one of those "single entities". It advances way more quickly than Xbox or Playstation front-end systems. Valve is better than anyone at this, to the chagrin of Tim Sweeney. They don't need linux to beat windows to do this. The goal isn't that you use SteamOS to edit video and write documents. It's a platform for gaming.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The linux desktop is a fart in the wind, linux is fucking everywhere. Even microsoft is a heavy linux 'customer'. What Valve has done does effectively decouple "PC Gaming" from "Windows Gaming", and that's a big deal. Apple is already using this tech to improve gaming support on OSX. One of the "dirty tricks" for a long time was controlling the gaming APIs rather than supporting standards. That grip is loosened a lot now. It could be loosened even more if more devs adopted Vulkan and used portable APIs rather than DX.

Steam is able to "provide unanimity" and be one of those "single entities". It advances way more quickly than Xbox or Playstation front-end systems. Valve is better than anyone at this, to the chagrin of Tim Sweeney. They don't need linux to beat windows to do this. The goal isn't that you use SteamOS to edit video and write documents. It's a platform for gaming.
Lazy MS never even attempted a decent gamepad interface for their system, Valve was the one that had to do it on Windows.

All MS ever did to PC gaming was get in the way with their unnecessary and lacking APIs tied to Windows.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Lazy MS never even attempted a decent gamepad interface for their system, Valve was the one that had to do it on Windows.

All MS ever did to PC gaming was get in the way with their unnecessary and lacking APIs tied to Windows.
Yeah, and that's 100% been either negligence or another dirty trick. Xinput as a API that just happens to plug-and-play with Xbox controllers. It's actually a usability problem for Windows that a Dualsense won't "just work" for a lot games with gamepad support. I don't think Linux is perfect, but gamepads definitely work a lot better. Even with Bluetooth!

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah, and that's 100% been either negligence or another dirty trick. Xinput as a API that just happens to plug-and-play with Xbox controllers. It's actually a usability problem for Windows that a Dualsense won't "just work" for a lot games with gamepad support. I don't think Linux is perfect, but gamepads definitely work a lot better. Even with Bluetooth!
Linux never gets credit for what works and always gets blamed for what doesn't work.

When it comes to Windows is the other way around, it never gets blamed for what doesn't work. Moving to Linux even fixed the stutter in games for me.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022

Folks can cherry pick whatever stats they want to feel a bit better about the viability of investing in PC Gaming (and Valve). Fact is for Desktop PCs (including Laptops) aka PC Gaming.... Windows is King, followed distantly by OS X aka Mac aka Apple, and the rest of the farts in the wind, including Linux. MS will attempt to drag that marketshare to the cloud.... kicking or screaming.

Valve making their Store OS work on Linux will not save PC Gaming from what MS has in store for it. Valve will just end up being a console manufacturer of fixed hardware at best (if not acquired) with a client Store that runs on Linux - what the SteamDeck is more or less. You can fight with it all you want to your hearts content and even believe your own rationale but hey... it's what it's. "PC gaming" will exist in this future, just on the MS dominated cloud. 2060 for 1080p, 4060 for 4K at a price tiered difference (for those looking for the most premium experience - best graphics out of the cloud - a marketers dream come true). I can only imagine the benchmarks scene :ROFLMAO: (just made me spill the water I was sipping).

Last edited:

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
MS can do what they please, PC gamers will always find workarounds. If this accelerates folks migrating to a less bloated gaming oriented OS and most of all API so be it. DX12 has failed as it didn't account for developer laziness.

I am fine with windows for now but eyeing chimera and upcoming steamOS 3.0 as well. Valve should release CSGO 2 and half life 3 Linux only to seal the deal.

Last edited:
  • fire
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: catchew and Entropi