Microsoft’s 10-Year Agreement with Nintendo Covers All Future Activision Blizzard Releases

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
In February this year, Microsoft announced that it had signed a binding agreement with Nintendo that would see new Call of Duty games releasing for the Japanese company’s platforms for 10 years after the closure of Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard, though as it turns out, it seems the deal will cover more than just Call of Duty games.
Microsoft has stated in recently submitted documents as part of its trial against the FTC that, as per the aforementioned agreement, it is contractually obligated to release all future Activision Blizzard content for Nintendo platforms, not just Call of Duty.
“Nintendo has a contractual right to obtain Activision content post-merger, including Call of Duty,” the document reads (pages 74 and 120).

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sounds really stupid unless they are counting cloud versions. Why would they commit to release every ABK games on unknown and likely weak hardware for the next 10 years before even getting to properly know the devs and what they want to do?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They will be stuck making all these demakes no one will buy for a decade. COD is easily over 120GB.

DemonRavana

30 Jun 2023
It says Nintendo has a contractual right to obtain Activision content, including Call of Duty, I think saying that covers "all" ABK material is a stretch.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It says Nintendo has a contractual right to obtain Activision content, including Call of Duty, I think saying that covers "all" ABK material is a stretch.
I couldn't imagine all of the King content getting Nintendo releases, for instance. Even if the games themselves run on toasters it would still take ttime and money porting them over, changing the UI/button inputs, testing them, etc. If its just "Activision" content without Blizzard or King then sure because at this point that pretty much is just CoD. You get like one non-CoD thing a year out of them at this point (this year's was that shitty Crash GaaS, for example.)

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Sounds like bullshit to me it'll either be through the cloud or there'll be some sweet irony to the 'most powerful console' narrative where they make all activision games be able to run on tablet hardware making the series X completely pointless 🤣

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
They will be stuck making all these demakes no one will buy for a decade. COD is easily over 120GB.
I mean, CD Red pulled off the Witcher 3 on the switch but that was them gutting out most textures. So it's possible but if they want most quality it's more then likely going on the cloud.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
I can 100% see Nintendo getting the next Crash, Spyro, LEGO etc. games alongside Candy Crush & its spinoffs, but not PlayStation. If MS are considering bringing back Guitar Hero, they will probably also prioritize Nintendo over Sony for those games since Nintendo's contract actually allows for that while Sony's is only for COD.

People are fooling themselves if they think the contracts for Nintendo and Sony are the same. Nintendo played ball with MS's BS the entire time; Sony resisted and only caved in the 11th hour, after losing their two biggest chips to leverage. They 100% got a worst deal than Nintendo, and I hate to say that, but it's true.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I can 100% see Nintendo getting the next Crash, Spyro, LEGO etc. games alongside Candy Crush & its spinoffs, but not PlayStation. If MS are considering bringing back Guitar Hero, they will probably also prioritize Nintendo over Sony for those games since Nintendo's contract actually allows for that while Sony's is only for COD.

People are fooling themselves if they think the contracts for Nintendo and Sony are the same. Nintendo played ball with MS's BS the entire time; Sony resisted and only caved in the 11th hour, after losing their two biggest chips to leverage. They 100% got a worst deal than Nintendo, and I hate to say that, but it's true.
I think its more likely that Crash just dies. Too much of his market is PS gamers and his brand seems ill-suited to "live service" bullshit.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
On console theres only 2 killer apps which Microsoft own which will shift consoles in Microsoft’s favour.

COD and Minecraft.

One is staying on PlayStation for 10 years and the other we simply don’t know.

Sony needs to make a deal to get Roblox on Playstation to fill the gap Minecraft will eventually leave.

Secondly make their own Military shooter or make a deal with EA/Ubisoft for now.

The rest of the IPs Microsoft own will not have the same impact.

People haven’t stopped buying PS5s even though Bethesda is gone.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters