Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Is it really just down to the CMA? I heard that some of the European regulators did not like Brad Smith's presentation yesterday. Not sure where I can find this being verified, it's just something I've heard through the grapevine.

If I had to guess, it was probably because of the combination of once again trying to gin up the public through wordy favoritism and lock a regulatory decision in a corner, combined with what probably came off as pretentious boisterousness. Also maybe signing legal deals (of intent) with companies over assets his company doesn't legally own yet could be another factor, and the fact his appeals were less directed to answering concerns of regulators, but rather to gain cheers from an incensed public (which ties into the first point I mentioned).

Keep in mind yesterday was just MS giving their side of things. I think Sony gives theirs today, and other companies present as well. The EC aren't making the decision to approve or deny this week (AFAIK); they are just letting both sides speak their pieces in favor of & against the deal.

But speaking of which, have there been any noteworthy developments today? I know there's a Brad Smith interview with some network that's laughably bad, but I wouldn't classify that as significant. Just hilarious (and that interview might've been done yesterday for all I know).
I thought Sony gave their side yesterday in the closed hearing. Their strategy just doesn't involve engaging the media outside of that one interview Jim did towards the beginning of all this.

Also, while not confirmed I had also heard an anecdote from someone who supposedly is aware of the EC's dealings and supposedly they didn't appreciate Microsoft turning these proceedings into a media circus.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
I thought Sony gave their side yesterday in the closed hearing. Their strategy just doesn't involve engaging the media outside of that one interview Jim did towards the beginning of all this.

They did? Well that's interesting if so. Thought we'd of gotten at least a peep into their side but guess not. And if Sony went, then the others present must have, as well.

Which really makes me wonder why Microsoft were the only ones so eager to share so many details immediately with media and the public. Well, we probably already know the answer, but it could also be a sign of something else.

Lack of confidence of their arguments convincing regulators

Reactions: Ezekiel

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
They did? Well that's interesting if so. Thought we'd of gotten at least a peep into their side but guess not. And if Sony went, then the others present must have, as well.

Which really makes me wonder why Microsoft were the only ones so eager to share so many details immediately with media and the public. Well, we probably already know the answer, but it could also be a sign of something else.

MS is desperate and also allergic to being dignified when they get into hot water with government regulators. Look through their history, stunts like this are their domain almost exclusively, most other companies just issue a sane, level-headed press release, MS tries to rally the fanboys to pressure the regulators into capitulation, and it NEVER works.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023

When it comes to Xbox results, Microsoft is usually very stingy with detail. The EU Digital Services Act forces the firm to untie its tongue and give figures. And in Europe they are low.
chiffre-mensuel-xbox-ue-2023-1200x772.jpg

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

It was interesting to me that Brad Smith somewhat dodged the question when a reporter asked him about how the actual hearing went. Basically, he says that he thinks the license agreements they made give him more confidence for the deal than anything that was said in the hearing.

I also wonder why they think trotting out dudes like Bobby Kotick to make vague threats to the UK economy in interviews will endear them with regulators.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
It was interesting to me that Brad Smith somewhat dodged the question when a reporter asked him about how the actual hearing went. Basically, he says that he thinks the license agreements they made give him more confidence for the deal than anything that was said in the hearing.

I also wonder why they think trotting out dudes like Bobby Kotick to make vague threats to the UK economy in interviews will endear them with regulators.
They only know how to bully and play the victim, not how to properly negotiate with authorities. It’s their corporate culture.

D

Deleted member 417

Has Microsoft just tanked the Tech industry?

If investors now take a peak at how Social media are calculating MAU's - which is the metric used as measure for popularity of a website and ad revenue, will said investors see that they're been taken to the cleaners? (we all know this is happening, but having it spelled out in such a way could be, erm, interesting)

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Has Microsoft just tanked the Tech industry?

If investors now take a peak at how Social media are calculating MAU's - which is the metric used as measure for popularity of a website and ad revenue, will said investors see that they're been taken to the cleaners? (we all know this is happening, but having it spelled out in such a way could be, erm, interesting)
Well, anyone who looks at everything MS has revealed in court filings in the Epic V Apple suit and the regulatory processes for this merger will see that MS has bragged about numbers that mean nothing while the Xbox division lost enough money to bankrupt 10 SEGAs, but I don’t think user counts have been believed to be tied to profit for years now in most investors’ views.

People realized that users don’t automatically mean profit back in the early to mid-2000s.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
But hey, lets allow the platform with 4 million MAU's in europe buy one of the biggest selling IP's and potentially take it off of 50 million gamers in the EU.....

Seems fair... /S
The general vibe I'm getting from those in favor of the deal is that Sony are doing too well in the gaming industry and had too many games last gen, therefore they need to be brought to heel and humbled by Microsoft. It's about beating / embarrassing Playstation for a lot of them.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The general vibe I'm getting from those in favor of the deal is that Sony are doing too well in the gsming industry and had too many games last gen, therefore they need to be brought to heel and humbled by Microsoft. It's about beating / embarrassing Playstation for a lot of them.
It’s seriously ridiculous.

The company with, for all intents and purposes, infinite resources can’t get their shit together, so let’s let them buy out everyone that has success on their competitor’s platform!