Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Well, I guess the bright side in this is we wont have to worry about MS making any other massive purchases until this ABK integration is good.
Also, they probably need the heat off of them for a little bit.
None of us know that and i wouldnt be surprised if they felt embolded now.

So what ever happened to that uber lawyer sony hired for tough acquisitions?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Well, I guess the bright side in this is we wont have to worry about MS making any other massive purchases until this ABK integration is good.
Also, they probably need the heat off of them for a little bit.
I wouldn't be so confident about that.

Red2Radio

Icon Extra
13 Mar 2023
Germany
With minecraft, cod, elder scrolls, and diablo, MS acquired it's way into gaming's biggest franchises with absolutely no pushback. Thank god for sony first party or I'd completely check out of this hobby.
Yep, same. Ever since MSFT has entered the market, things have gotten progressively worse and for the past 2-3 years I've been thinking of leaving this hobby behind me, since I'm getting tired of all this stuff. I enjoy it less and less and days like today just make not want to play at all. I own every console, but that doesn't mean I like all the decisions these three companies make. And the fact that MSFT can just get away with this acquisition, possibly opening the gates for even worse practices in the future, just fills me with sadness.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony needs to accept that these little support studio and garage start up studios is no longer the only thing they can do. They need established, recognizable IP. A bargaining chip or 2 should microsoft pull anymore franchises. Thye should be wrapping up a deal with square enix right now, and looking for whats next. instead their on the back foot.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony needs to accept that these little support studio and garage start up studios is no longer the only thing they can do. They need established, recognizable IP. A bargaining chip or 2 should microsoft pull anymore franchises. Thye should be wrapping up a deal with square enix right now, and looking for whats next. instead their on the back foot.

Square? That isn't a chip on the level of COD and all the other IP's of ABK...

They need TakeTwo at very least.

But I agree with your sentiment very much.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
With minecraft, cod, elder scrolls, and diablo, MS acquired it's way into gaming's biggest franchises with absolutely no pushback. Thank god for sony first party or I'd completely check out of this hobby.
It's absurdo how MS simply buys the biggest IPs there are. They're not buying Mario and Zelda simply because it's not for sale.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Square? That isn't a chip on the level of COD and all the other IP's of ABK...

They need TakeTwo at very least.

But I agree with your sentiment very much.
Square has ff14 which i assume would be a revenue machine for a first party. I maintain that sony shouldve went after square instead of wasting their time burning bridges fighting this deal. Consolidation is here to stay whether they like it or not.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Well that happened

Happy Hour Drinking GIF by Jess

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So, what does everyone think Sony’s next move ought to be?
First order of business should be Invest heavily in, or outright buy Square enix and up the investment in fromsoftware. Acquire Firewalker, deviation, emberlabs, arrowhead assuming their next game looks special. Sony dragging their feet after the zenimax deal i think has put them in a bad spot.

As a side note, do we know if destiny lightfall was a big success? I havent seen good reviews of it, one of the main characters is extemely polarizing, and i havent seen much talk about after its initial launch.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings