Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
On the topic of shills, why are so many professional journalist such shills of Xbox?
Destin Legarie, Jez Corden, Ryan Mcaffrey and Tom Warren for example.

These guys are editors of IGN, windows central, the verge etc. Shouldn't they behave in a more professional manner?

Where are the playstation equivalent of professional journalists who shill as hard as these 4?
These guys are literally paid for propagandaists for Xbox in my opinion. They’re not objective. PlayStation doesn’t die this because it’s breaking records without hype guys. Maybe if they were on the back foot they’d have some, Greg miller types, but right now they don’t need to.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
A billion in revenue from subs ~= $330m per month, is this including xbox live gold or not?
Great point about Xbox live gold because I think that gets forgotten about. A billion in revenue combined with Xbox gold and gamepass does not seem great to me all things considered since subscriptions are foundation of the entire Xbox division now.

Sony will have like 8 billion in revenue with multiple first party games on the sales charts and only take home like a billion. Revenue doesn’t tell full story at all.

Reactions: Deleted member 417
24 Jun 2022
A billion in revenue from subs ~= $330m per month, is this including xbox live gold or not?

Xbox Live Gold, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout '76, and I think Bethesda has some creator's club that is also subscription-based. Not to mention any other gaming subscription services MS have that I may not know of.

All of those are included in the $1 billion figure. Believe me, Game Pass itself isn't pulling in anywhere near $1 billion a quarter. Maybe $500 million, based on some numbers I looked at a while ago with Heisenberg 007.

Which would put it around $2 billion a year in revenue strictly for Game Pass. Not "terrible", but not that great either considering how far below the expected ARPU it is combined with the number of subscribers.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Xbox Live Gold, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout '76, and I think Bethesda has some creator's club that is also subscription-based. Not to mention any other gaming subscription services MS have that I may not know of.

All of those are included in the $1 billion figure. Believe me, Game Pass itself isn't pulling in anywhere near $1 billion a quarter. Maybe $500 million, based on some numbers I looked at a while ago with Heisenberg 007.

Which would put it around $2 billion a year in revenue strictly for Game Pass. Not "terrible", but not that great either considering how far below the expected ARPU it is combined with the number of subscribers.
It's terrible considering they're essentially cannibalizing half of their potential revenue to sustain gamepass

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
On the topic of shills, why are so many professional journalist such shills of Xbox?
Destin Legarie, Jez Corden, Ryan Mcaffrey and Tom Warren for example.

These guys are editors of IGN, windows central, the verge etc. Shouldn't they behave in a more professional manner?

Where are the playstation equivalent of professional journalists who shill as hard as these 4?

Yes Microsoft 100% pays them, either through straight cash or access/information/leaks. You ever notice Jez always has some Xbox leak around the time of some bad PR? There are tons of others too all over twitter like colteastwood who literally has pics with Aaron Greenburg at the top of his profile.

Want to see something CRAZY, I was looking into this guy I have been seeing on Twitter a ton attacking Playstation and making pro Microsoft comments, his name is Florian Mueller. Looking into him I found out he is a long time paid Microsoft shill. You can see more about him here

http://techrights.org/2012/08/18/vile-lobbyist/

Now look at the internal Microsoft document linked in the article.

It basically lays out Microsoft's entire astrofurfing strategy and how to deal with "enemies". All laid out clear as day. It became public in a previous Microsoft antitrust lawsuit which they lost. It somehow seems to have been lost over time but it's all there and I recommend people read it and it explains all the bull crap you see from the media attacking Playstation and promoting Xbox. It is dated but they certainly adapted the strategy to modern times

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
CMA will publish their decision tomorrow. 99% it'll go through, most likely without major concessions.

Also, the U.S is installing their own employees into EU regulatory agencies to help them/stifle the competition. Cool, huh?
Small correction.

MS is just but one of many clients for such a plant. And she's small time compared to others already in place doing the bidding of the shinning city on a hill on much more important and consequential matters in the "E.U".

Anyways come tomorrow I'll give you all a meltdown to remember.

angry-fist-angry-fist-arthur.gif

:ROFLMAO:

Since a user posted this earlier I took the liberty to update it somewhat. But I've already written extensively on the question that puzzles many commoners as to why Microsoft continues to support Xbox despite being a "failure" to the superficial eye.... it would seem, apparently, for any normal corporation that any venture that is performant such as Xbox = a prohibitive failure. So it puzzles the commoners as to why MS does not figure what's "apparent" for themselves but double down instead to the tune of triple digit billions (rounding). Of course to MS failure is relative, for the commoner is doing a flawed superficial analysis of what competition really is and what Xbox is for. Where the Windows phones, and Zune failed, Xbox had relative success by opportunistically leveraging the then market leader (SIE) colossal mismanagement of the PS2-PS3 transition. Unlike Sony, Apple, accustomed to battle with Microsoft, was ready for it and stamped the weed out.

@Eggman
http://techrights.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/comes-3096.pdf
Evangelism is War.

Our Mission is to establish Microsoft’s Platforms as the defacto standards throughout the computer industry (Microsoft Windows – and derivatives of such aka Xbox). Our enemies are the vendors of platforms that compete with ours: Sony Computer Entertainment (SIE) aka PlayStation, Apple's iOS, Google's Android etc. The field of battle is the software industry. Success is measured in market footprint control, a more encompassing term than just plain old market share for a subset of a market. Every line of code that is written to our standards (using Windows as an OS, or other standards of ours) is a small victory, every line of code that is written outside the Windows ecosystem or for work on other standards is a small defeat (Sony’s PS OS FreeBSD 9, iOS, Android). Total victory, for MS, is the universal adoption of our standards by developers & consumers. That is, a computer or video game console or gaming device running Microsoft software.

(Sidenote: $70 billion on biggest publisher in the U.S, with big footprints on mobile should now clearly fall into place for those still puzzling trying to figure it out).

Our weapons are psychological (marketing – i.e guerrilla style), economic ( warchest ) and political (bribes, undue access, and undue influence). No one is forced to adopt our standards at the barrel of a gun …ha ha ha ha ha! Say, we can only convince you to get COD on Xbox, not compel . Those who adopt our standards do so as a rational decision to serve their own ends, whatever those may be. It’s our job to ensure that those choosing an operating system or standards are presented with an information space flood attack of overwhelming abundance of “evidence” and reasoned argument in favor of our standards – so overwhelming that the choice of our standards (as opposed to others in direct competition) seems like the obvious choice. Developer facing: Windows ecosystem and associated development tools standards, while consumer facing: Game IPs - i.e COD, Xbox, Gamepass etc. Ideally the control should be so complete that the developers and consumers will not be aware that a decision was faced and a choice was made.

Our Mission:

Drive the success of Microsoft's platforms (Windows, derivatives i.e Xbox, Gamepass etc) by creating a critical mass of third-party software applications and "business" solutions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Microsoft bought Halo before it could launch on Apple computers. They bought exclusivity as the first step into the console market.

Buh buh Sony...

$1 billion revenue means nothing. I want to see the profit.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Both Halo and Gears, under different circumstances, were to be released on other platforms before Xbox acquired the franchise / the exclusive rights respectively.

Reactions: Box

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Microsoft bought Halo before it could launch on Apple computers. They bought exclusivity as the first step into the console market.

Buh buh Sony...

$1 billion revenue means nothing. I want to see the profit.
They havent created one single big in house franchise apart from Forza in last 20 years.

Halo was made by Bungie and they bought it. Destroyed.
Gears was made by epic. They bought it. Zero progress in franchise. No1 cares about it anymore.
Minecraft bought.
ES, fallout bought. etc

And people want them gobbling ips like pokemon.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
This is what microsoft and xbots continue to believe despite 20 years of continuous L’s. They are so desperate to stay relevant and save face they would rather waste 70 billion to prolong the inevitable.

This isn’t like windows.. microsoft can’t monopolise this industry the way they did the desktop space, they will continue to fail until they have nothing left to buy and then implode harder than zune,mixer and kinect combined!
But will it be harder than the Kin phone? Lmao

"
The Kin ONE and TWO went on the market on May 14, 2010. Within two months, Verizon stopped selling the phones because of poor sales.[9] Microsoft scrapped its planned European release, stopped promoting the devices, ceased production, and reassigned the Kin development team to other projects.[10]

Microsoft updated its unsold Kin inventory with firmware that removed social and web-based features, and in December 2010 offered these re-purposed units through Verizon stores as limited feature phones, the Kin ONEm and the TWOm. In January 2011, Microsoft shut down the kin.com website, which controlled most of the earlier phones' features."

... Don't know why I'm laughing, Mr. Surface Duo over here.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
They havent created one single big in house franchise apart from Forza in last 20 years.

Halo was made by Bungie and they bought it. Destroyed.
Gears was made by epic. They bought it. Zero progress in franchise. No1 cares about it anymore.
Minecraft bought.
ES, fallout bought. etc

And people want them gobbling ips like pokemon.

They also destroyed Rare
Tried to buy Nintendo
Tried to buy Sega

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

The CMA has prevented Microsoft’s proposed purchase of Activision over concerns the deal would alter the future of the fast-growing cloud gaming market, leading to reduced innovation and less choice for UK gamers over the years to come.

The final decision to prevent the deal comes after Microsoft’s proposed solution failed to effectively address the concerns in the cloud gaming sector, outlined in the Competition and Markets Authority’s (CMA) provisional findings published in February.

Microsoft entered into a $68.7 billion deal to buy Activision, one of the most popular video games publishers in the world, in January 2022. The CMA launched an in-depth review of the deal in September 2022, and in February 2023 provisionally found that the merger could make Microsoft even stronger in cloud gaming, stifling competition in this growing market.