Microsoft's acquisition of Activison Blizzard

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
They created a situation where the CMA is now fighting for it's own autonomy, it either blocks this deal or it loses all it's perceived power.
I was thinking that too. This pressure campaign to try and isolate the cma is really going to be a defining moment for them now. Do they fold to aggressive big tech or stand their ground? I do feel I like they have a clock though because the deal expires in 2 months. Can the cma withstand another Microsoft pressure campaign for that long? Aren’t they supposed to have to justify their decision tomorrow before the uk congress, how’s Microsoft manage to pull that one off?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I was thinking that too. This pressure campaign to try and isolate the cma is really going to be a defining moment for them now. Do they fold to aggressive big tech or stand their ground? I do feel I like they have a clock though because the deal expires in 2 months. Can the cma withstand another Microsoft pressure campaign for that long? Aren’t they supposed to have to justify their decision tomorrow before the uk congress, how’s Microsoft manage to pull that one off?
CAT is first wall. CMA is on holidays now. If m$ will appeal, it will take another 10 month from now to CAT decline it or approve

24 Jun 2022

Seems like they're taking King David's advice to "hold the line".

Of course this is a nightmare for dudes like him, they want this deal to pass badly. And quickly.

GAF thread is SANE. The bots can’t hoard the thread because DeepEnigma, Topher and others shut them down all the time. I’m sticking to GAF and f*ck resetera and their lunatics fanboys.

The GAF thread's always been rather sane...well, for the most part. Xbox fanatics hyper into the deal passing can't get away with passive-aggressive attacks or their talking points going relatively unchallenged because they aren't protected by mods & admin there like on ResetERA, and it's rather telling that even on ResetERA the thread's getting locked multiple times over the past few days due to the same Xbox fanatics.

Granted FWIW there's no one on GAF as absolutely insane as Tigerfish or (especially) Yoga Flame (from my time there), or as annoyingly disingenuous as Shoot. And while we've got Sleepy Brown over here, he's so ridiculously off-base it's just funny to point, laugh, and question his delusions. They're basically a caricature.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They created a situation where the CMA is now fighting for it's own autonomy, it either blocks this deal or it loses all it's perceived power.
They live in a world where they think other people give any kind of a rat's ass about Xbox. These govt. entities don't have their "hopes and dreams" wrapped up in a game console. they stamp "no", they move on.

It's the people who have their entire identity wrapped up in Xbox that think this is some kind of battle for the soul of the the UK nation.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022

tick-tock-jason-mantzoukas.gif

Indeed.

• haha
Reactions: BigMclargeHuge

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I’m listening to jez7780 podcast tonight and he brings up something no one else is talking about that I’ve seen. The EU approved the deal under the condition that Microsoft has to license all activsion blizzard games to competing cloud platforms for FREE. So Microsoft can’t make money on the backend, they’re just giving cod away without any recoup. So they’re spending 70 billion dollars to give cod and Other games away for free to rivals.

That means google and Luna automatically get these games for free without paying for licensing. He pointed out brad smiths tweet didn’t seem all that celebratory and neither did Tom warrens who quote tweets brad smith.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
I’m listening to jez7780 podcast tonight and he brings up something no one else is talking about that I’ve seen. The EU approved the deal under the condition that Microsoft has to license all activsion blizzard games to competing cloud platforms for FREE. So Microsoft can’t make money on the backend, they’re just giving cod away without any recoup. So they’re spending 70 billion dollars to give cod and Other games away for free to rivals.

That means google and Luna automatically get these games for free without paying for licensing. He pointed out brad smiths tweet didn’t seem all that celebratory and neither did Tom warrens who quote tweets brad smith.
If thats true then it pretty much a divestment. EU process being so political its funny because only a politician would enforce divestment but call it something else, in this case they called it “remedies”.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022

Lulu the #%unt tweet wasn’t celebratory either. All she did was talk about Activision investing more into Europe.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

It’s because they know it’s a nothing burger. The deal is still dead.

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
GAF thread is SANE. The bots can’t hoard the thread because DeepEnigma, Topher and others shut them down all the time. I’m sticking to GAF and f*ck resetera and their lunatics fanboys.
Anybody here also use reddit? I swear once the news broke reddit slowed to a crawl and I think it's because of bots used by microsoft.

I spend most my internet time on reddit and it has been clearly heavily astroturfed by Microsoft for years to the point that there are thousands of accounts just dedicated to promoting Xbox and bashing Playstation all day every day. It's wild some of the things Ive seen.

Anyway today the post on /r/PS5 was climbing modestly with up votes and only had maybe 100 - 150 upvote after 90 minutes or so. I look away for about 20 minutes and its at about 1000 upvotes. Now it has many thousands more than even Xbox dedicated subreddits or any other subreddit.

Then dozens of frequent Xbox troll accounts were all over the post telling us how the CMA is in the wrong and Sony are the bad guys and yada yada. It 100% got botted.

All the other gaming subreddits are filled with Xbox shills and astrotufers as well. It's pretty insane.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
People are seeing through the shills with each bursting of the Xbot narrative bubble.

The thing that should disgust people is that Microsoft's strategy of squeezing out the competition through predatory pricing (giving games away on GP) doesn't work if they invest any sum of money into building up their own studios - Sony survives if Xbox suddenly creates good games, even if they give them away, albeit the market is devalued. The strategy only works if they use the money to steal something that platform and the free market are already happily consuming, gives it away for free to weaken the competition, and then locks it to their platform and jacks up the price.

The pulsating rectums that form the Xbot brigade these days can't see past step 1, which is they get free games on GP right now.

Last edited: