Mike Ybarra - Tipping Game Creators $10 or $20 on Top of the $70 Price is a Great Idea.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I would gladly do so, if I thought it would actually lead to better produced games, and not just go towards some b.s. Or if it was something where I could submit ideas/suggestions and they'd at least reach someone in the know.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Xbots would tip without thinking. “Have to help Microsoft finances”

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
This is what many PC players do, they pirate the game on release then they tip the devs later on buying a fraction of the pirated games 90% off on Steam.

I hate tips, just charge a fair price for your product and that's it.
I've seen russians promote a similar idea that they determine the "fair price" when they buy a game with a 75%+ discount (even with regional prices that are lower), and before that, they completely play the pirated version of it, while the game in question cost the full price.

Or they had another idea: "Let developers create websites where they will upload their games for free, and grateful players will voluntarily send them money."

I think you can imagine how this gaming communism would work...

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I've seen russians promote a similar idea that they determine the "fair price" when they buy a game with a 75%+ discount (even with regional prices that are lower), and before that, they completely play the pirated version of it, while the game in question cost the full price.

Or they had another idea: "Let developers create websites where they will upload their games for free, and grateful players will voluntarily send them money."

I think you can imagine how this gaming communism would work...
That's generally how humble bundle works

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's ironic that he wants to tip developers given that he worked as an executive at one of the most infamously cheapskate devs in the biz, underpaying their staff significantly compared to industry norms
Amazing smh.

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
On one hand i kinda get where he's coming from, Hollow knight is such a great well made game that even at its launch price its a steal and if I could just be like "hey, I would play 60$ for this so here's another $45" i 100% would.
On another, this is the former president of one of the greediest fucking corporations in gaming history.
Fuck him and everything he stands for.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Lol they want a $100 for a game and that corporate is already making trillions of profits 📈
those investors, executives and CEOs are becoming more rich and rich and we are working harder and making way less.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Tipping is fine always as long as there is no expectation. As soon as there is obligation or expectation it is no longer a tip it is a charge.
Tipping isn't fine, I hate that its normalized in the US. Employers should properly pay their employees. It's refreshing to see when I travel to other countries and no tip is expected, and the service and food is even better than here in the states.

Reactions: anonpuffs

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Tipping isn't fine, I hate that its normalized in the US. Employers should properly pay their employees. It's refreshing to see when I travel to other countries and no tip is expected, and the service and food is even better than here in the states.

Agreed that employees should make minimum wage, it is supposed to be a minimum.

But what exactly is wrong with wanting to give someone some more money? The tip isn't the problem it's the expectation/obligation that is the issue. It's no skin off my back if someone wants to reward someone, but it's a problem when there is a culture of expecting tips for every transaction.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
It's ironic that he wants to tip developers given that he worked as an executive at one of the most infamously cheapskate devs in the biz, underpaying their staff significantly compared to industry norms

One cog out of many fucking things up at Blizzard and leaving it worse than when they joined as dictated by Bobby and his Activision goons.