More layoffs and a studio closure coming to SIE

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
According to this documentation from Insomniac that leaked

This is dated from this november

Screenshot_2023-12-21_041429.png

Business plans change, and Sony would not confirm if the discussed cuts are still on the table or already completed. But a notes file referencing a November 9 PlayStation off-site meeting reiterates the 50-75 number of cuts. The notes suggest the cuts are being asked of other PlayStation studios as well, including the line "there will be one studio closure." Sony did not respond when asked to clarify.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Cancel all digital deluxe editions? Why?

They always sell more than the regular edition when preorders start. It's free money.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
According to this documentation from Insomniac that leaked

This is dated from this november

Screenshot_2023-12-21_041429.png

They are for sure cutting on their Grass strategy, you can't make and sustain those games at the level they want with even fewer people. It is weird though as to why they are cutting so much when they are profitable. IMO are they expecting some huge drop in sales?

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
They are for sure cutting on their Grass strategy, you can't make and sustain those games at the level they want with even fewer people. It is weird though as to why they are cutting so much when they are profitable. IMO are they expecting some huge drop in sales?

I do wonder which studio will be axed. Bend, London, Media Molecule or one of the new ones like Haven or Firewalk….

I could see one of their planned games not working out and getting canned and the studio shuttering. None of them really produced anything worth while last generation

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I do wonder which studio will be axed. Bend, London, Media Molecule or one of the new ones like Haven or Firewalk….

I could see one of their planned games not working out and getting canned and the studio shuttering. None of them really produced anything worth while last generation
I have a bad feeling about Bend after reading this. Dunno why.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Probably Media Molecule. Didnt another head leave there not that long ago?

Wonder what "actions over seas, legally tough" is talking about?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Probably Media Molecule. Didnt another head leave there not that long ago?

Wonder what "actions over seas, legally tough" is talking about?

Good point. Could it be that the studio is overseas? They have a few, and I dont think Guerrilla or Housemarque are in danger

Reactions: Dabaus

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Looking forward to more outlets diving a bit deeper into the weeds and giving us some industry food to ponder. This is a great read.

I'm drawn to this quote in particular :

These and other presentations provide a clear sense that Insomniac, despite its successes and the seeming resources of its parent company, is grappling with how to reverse the trend of ballooning blockbuster development costs. "We have to make future AAA franchise games for $350 million or less," reads one slide from a "sustainable budgets" presentation earlier this year. "In today's dollars, that's like making [Spider-Man 2] for $215 million. That's $65 million less than our [Spider-Man 2] budget." Another slide puts the problem more starkly: "...is 3x the investment in [Spider-Man 2] evident to anyone who plays the game?"

The costs have ballooned so much compared to pre-pandemic. I'm sure a big part of this is due to the COVID boom and how prospective employees were, rightfully so, able to secure the bag. But this has meant that the budgets that were already high, to be so MUCH higher.

Like the quote says, the budget isn't totally reflected into the final product, because it's dictated by much increased employee salary and not actual manhours and increased headcount.

Spider-Man, etc, are going to be fine.
But like the slide said, making a new IP in the future at such great cost is an a monumental risk at this point in time and will only get riskier.

Honestly when it comes to AAA gaming, I don't see the "fix" to the industry's woes coming any time soon.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Good point. Could it be that the studio is overseas? They have a few, and I dont think Guerrilla or Housemarque are in danger
When they say "over seas" are they talking from Sony Japan perspective or from the US? Either way i still think its Media Molecule thats next for the chopping block.

Or even Studio London seeing as how Sony is backing off live service. Heck could be both of them?