More layoffs and a studio closure coming to SIE

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
sony definitely need to start diversifying its strategy to making less budget intensive games.

They can have studios making games in the 50-80 million range. I’m pretty sure thats how much it cost Remedy to make Alan Wake 2
As long as they don’t cut Naughty Dog’s budget, I’m good. Naughty Dog makes among the best most technical games in the industry. With the best animations. That cost money. As great as Alan Wake is, It’s not TLOU 2 in many ways.

Last edited:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I do wonder which studio will be axed. Bend, London, Media Molecule or one of the new ones like Haven or Firewalk….

I could see one of their planned games not working out and getting canned and the studio shuttering. None of them really produced anything worth while last generation
I still can‘t believe Hulst bought two GAAS studios without them releasing a single game yet.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Every company worldwide are having these discussions right now. It's happening everywhere...we're just not supposed to see this lol

Yep, this is happening all over the industry. Did people forget the 9000 jobs lost in gaming this year or something?

Think about how expensive the licensing for Avatar must have been, how long it’s been in development, and how expensive it looks. Now look at how fast It went on sale.

Thats the unsuccessful version of spider-man 2. It’s going to get bad

Its why ubisoft is making 12 new assassins creed games

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Fwiw, Sony actually doesn't have a lot of internal support studios, just Singapore, the 3rd party co-op ones and I think one in China that mostly does localizations.
Took a look and there's one I missed, though its a small one. Fabrik, which a small team that exists just to support Firesprite.

Also, its entirely possible that the studio closure was them mis-interpreting the Neon Koi situation? Which I notice that none of you seemed to care about, even though its a Sony studio currently going through restructuring.

Anyways, my own employer... who shall remain nameless.... also had serious security intrusions recently, and also has had the specter of layoffs and closures in people's minds recently. So I feel the pain and wish whoever it is luck.

• brain

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yep, this is happening all over the industry. Did people forget the 9000 jobs lost in gaming this year or something?

Think about how expensive the licensing for Avatar must have been, how long it’s been in development, and how expensive it looks. Now look at how fast It went on sale.

Thats the unsuccessful version of spider-man 2. It’s going to get bad

Its why ubisoft is making 12 new assassins creed games
No, no, no , ignore your lying eyes. Avatar is a sucess, honest it is, honest.

• thinking_hard

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I still can‘t believe Hulst bought two GAAS studios without them releasing a single game yet.
He didn't. Jim did. Jim was the CEO. Hulst may have suggested, but the fault falls, yet again, on the old fart.

Reactions: Umar

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Took a look and there's one I missed, though its a small one. Fabrik, which a small team that exists just to support Firesprite.

Also, its entirely possible that the studio closure was them mis-interpreting the Neon Koi situation? Which I notice that none of you seemed to care about, even though its a Sony studio currently going through restructuring.

Anyways, my own employer... who shall remain nameless.... also had serious security intrusions recently, and also has had the specter of layoffs and closures in people's minds recently. So I feel the pain and wish whoever it is luck.
good luck with your stuff

as for neon koi, i bet few people would care about a tiny mobile game studio

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
He didn't. Jim did. Jim was the CEO. Hulst may have suggested, but the fault falls, yet again, on the old fart.

It doesn’t really matter, those studios probably cost peanuts to acquire. Bungie is the bigger problem

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I also think we can put to bed any notion that Sony is going to buy a publisher. If they are looking to make cuts at insomniac of all places they aren’t going to go out and spend billions on a publisher. Best we could hope for is another capital alliance with a Japanese publisher IMO.

Reactions: Bryank75 and Puff

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I also think we can put to bed any notion that Sony is going to buy a publisher. If they are looking to make cuts at insomniac of all places they aren’t going to go out and spend billions on a publisher. Best we could hope for is another capital alliance with a Japanese publisher IMO.

Massively disappointing.

All the potential PlayStation had after the PS4 has been diminished by Jim and whoever else decided these terrible strategies.

I had a hope to see PlayStation raise the quality and reputation of their 1st party even further...

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The constant meltdowns and doom and gloom in this place from so many people is so frustrating. Xbox fanboys from twitter see this and laugh at this place and believe that they've won.

Some dudes here are complete fucking nutters and clowns. I assume they’re all teenage retards tbh tho.

50 million Ps5s sold and likely on its way to outperform ps4. New heights for tentpole IP like Ragnarök.

5:1 ps5 to series x. Sony grew its market share while also having Xbox shrink its own further.

This is one of the most dominant console war victories ever. No switch doesn’t fucking count. It’s a gameboy.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They released new IPs that broke sales records for a new IP: Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, The Division, Destiny and (not sure if it's the case) Halo.

They also made genre defining top tier MP/GaaS titles as the Bungie Halo games, Destiny or Rainbow Six Siege.

They also have worked in many other top performing AAA games, and have people from other studios who also worked in top tier AAA and GaaS games like CoD and so on.

And unlike us he and his also very talented and experienced team (which includes people like Cerny) saw them working, played their games and decided they should buy them. People like Hermen or Cerny aren't dumbasses who take random decisions.

We don't know if this document is true, and assuming it's true we don't know if Sony was asking to fire anybody. Most likely they were only talking about getting people Insomniac had in games planned to be released beyond 2028 to put them work in a new game that would be released in 2027, maybe as a PS6 launch title.

To ask them to make a new game to be released sooner I'd say isn't very compatible with having to reduce their headcount. But instead with asking them to focus their headcount in projects closer to release.

On top of that, Sony/SIE generates a lot of revenue and profit. They aren't short of money to need to fire people from their most successful team. And will acquire what they consider and when consider it makes sense to them.

They said no plans to make big acquisitions in the short term, but instead in medium to short term. Which more or less matches with when they'll have the money of selling most of their banks division, money they said will mostly use on acquisitions for entertainment (mainly gaming) and image sensors.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Studio closure and Insomniac layoffs? Sony really are becoming a Scumbag company.
Always was.

It's just that they happened to have really strong dev teams for a long time due to choices they made during the PS3 days. Without that there is nothing special about them, other than the excellent work of Mark Cerny.

Reactions: nongkris
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Always was.

It's just that they happened to have really strong dev teams for a long time due to choices they made during the PS3 days. Without that there is nothing special about them, other than the excellent work of Mark Cerny.

Theres nothing special about them besides their excellently designed hardware and software.