MS President Brad Smith: In Europe, PlayStation has 80% Marketshare, Xbox has 20%. Globally it’s 70/30

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
they're really suffering. Jez says windiws central's traffic is down, and in 2022 because xbox released no games none of his articles were hitting.

The only thing he had with a modicum of hits was a persona 5 social link guide.

It's got to be tough for content creators on the xbox side. With such few releases, and such an uncertain brand future, it must be very worrying.

While we point and laugh and poke fun on forums, and this stuff really doesn't affect us, there are people who have their livelihood tied to xbox, and its impending failure.

I do actually feel sorry for them.

Good.

But I don't feel sorry for him or that website one single bit. Play shitty games journalism, win shitty prizes.

If they want to get some real traffic again, maybe start by not blaming PlayStation for Microsoft's incompetence with Xbox. And maybe stop making every argument under the assumption Microsoft is 100% in the right. Have some backbone and be critical of some of their claims.

But people like Jez and websites like Windows Central won't do that, because they're afraid of getting cut off.

According to papers MS submitted as a supporting party in the Epic Games V Apple lawsuit, Xbox has only ever posted two profitable quarters, non-consecutively, during the Xbox 360 generation, and by the middle of 2021 had LOST $67 BILLION since the division was opened in 2000.

Xbox was never about profit, it is about controlling the gaming market.

Jeezuz. Any other company even half their size would have either gone bankrupt or left the market as a platform holder ages ago.

And somehow Microsoft tried getting away with trying to convince regulators the ABK acquisition is just an Xbox thing. If those total losses are correct, they are essentially willing and able to take losses on a division that means very little to their bottom line, as is almost the market caps of Sony and Nintendo combined!

Yet somehow people are convinced that there's no chance this can lead to future anticompetitive practices, when it can already be argued that there are shades of predatory pricing being engaged with Xbox & Game Pass today.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Good.

But I don't feel sorry for him or that website one single bit. Play shitty games journalism, win shitty prizes.

If they want to get some real traffic again, maybe start by not blaming PlayStation for Microsoft's incompetence with Xbox. And maybe stop making every argument under the assumption Microsoft is 100% in the right. Have some backbone and be critical of some of their claims.

But people like Jez and websites like Windows Central won't do that, because they're afraid of getting cut off.

Jeezuz. Any other company even half their size would have either gone bankrupt or left the market as a platform holder ages ago.

And somehow Microsoft tried getting away with trying to convince regulators the ABK acquisition is just an Xbox thing. If those total losses are correct, they are essentially willing and able to take losses on a division that means very little to their bottom line, as is almost the market caps of Sony and Nintendo combined!

Yet somehow people are convinced that there's no chance this can lead to future anticompetitive practices, when it can already be argued that there are shades of predatory pricing being engaged with Xbox & Game Pass today.
Microsoft releasing the first Xbox was an anticompetitive act.

The machine sold for $299.99 US and cost MS $700 per unit, and due to bad decisions in engineering and a bad contract with Nvidia, they were never able to cut that loss.

The whole thing would have been shut down before the 360 if Bill Gates hadn’t personally overridden the board to approve it, due to the first generation having lost MS $12 billion.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Thank U Reaction GIF by Amanda
A cool guy

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
i'm starting to feel sorry them, can't help it. I know what a living hell it is to be an xbox only gamer (I only had an XBONE 2014-2017) so I guess i'm sympathetic. Luckily I atleast had a 3DS back then though.

Look at those comments man, the tears are astounding.

This one must hurt especially hard because not only are they the only ones left out, but by having the first game it's almost like S-E purposefully took it away from them and gave it to Sony instead. It's hilarious. :LOL:

😆😆😆

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
i'm starting to feel sorry them, can't help it. I know what a living hell it is to be an xbox only gamer (I only had an XBONE 2014-2017) so I guess i'm sympathetic. Luckily I atleast had a 3DS back then though.

This one must hurt especially hard because not only are they the only ones left out, but by having the first game it's almost like S-E purposefully took it away from them and gave it to Sony instead. It's hilarious. :LOL:

😆😆😆

Well, how do those assholes think PlayStation players feel, since we still haven’t gotten any word on whether or not the first game is ever coming, and we only got the sequel!

Reactions: EN250

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
you'd think xbox gamers would understand by now. i can't imagine 10 years of this kind of treatment. I was out after like 2 years of XBONE ownership. It was legit hell owning that console. Probably even worse for a Japanese game fan back then than it is now, but we never even complained this much. Even though they're late atleast they're getting stuff like yakuza, persona, king of fighters, guilty gear and a few more now.

let me tell you, it was no fun playing as a Battletoad in Killer ShitStink while looking across the aisle at Guilty gear XRD, KoF 14 and Street Fighter 5, LOL.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
you'd think xbox gamers would understand by now. i can't imagine 10 years of this kind of treatment. I was out after like 2 years of XBONE ownership. It was legit hell owning that console. Probably even worse for a Japanese game fan back then than it is now, but we never even complained this much. Even though they're late atleast they're getting stuff like yakuza, persona, king of fighters, guilty gear and a few more now.

let me tell you, it was no fun playing as a Battletoad in Killer ShitStink while looking across the aisle at Guilty gear XRD, KoF 14 and Street Fighter 5, LOL.
They got spoiled during the 360 generation, when no money hat was too big for MS to give out, and they don’t understand that publishers are not going to give exclusives to, or even bother developing games for a machine that has a small minority of the market.

I’m reminded of the GAFfers who would cheerlead for the Bone to sell 50/50 with PS4 in the name of “competition”, not understanding that the 65/35 split WAS competition, and that a 50/50 market would lead to near-total homogenization, while they screamed about AAA games being too samey!

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
They got spoiled during the 360 generation, when no money hat was too big for MS to give out, and they don’t understand that publishers are not going to give exclusives to, or even bother developing games for a machine that has a small minority of the market.

I’m reminded of the GAFfers who would cheerlead for the Bone to sell 50/50 with PS4 in the name of “competition”, not understanding that the 65/35 split WAS competition, and that a 50/50 market would lead to near-total homogenization, while they screamed about AAA games being too samey!
what really did it for me was MS spitting in the console customer's face by giving all the exclusives to PC. It almost felt cruel. What few poor scoring games we did have, MS would port day 1 to PC. that left me as XBONE owner with:

1) No exclusives
2) Poor quality 'FauXclusives' much less regarded than Sony's
3) No Japanese games AT ALL (They're spoiled today even getting pity ports like Persona, this is why they now assume they're entitled to everything)
4) Worse performing multiplats
5) No marketing deals for games that matter i.e COD/Destiny/etc so you always felt left out of the gaming festivities.

Yeah no thanks, never again. And they wonder why Series is doing worse than BONE. There are a lot of us ex-Bowners who will never flush our $500 down the toilet again. I took a massive L and had to rebuild my collection from scratch pretty much on the PS4. Luckily the few games I cared about on BONE were all on PS4, running better, and sometimes with exclusive content to boot.

Never again. I was out well before the gamepass days and don't anticipate ever even giving them so much as a glance as long as they're pushing an anti-exclusive, anti-physical game welfare sub-service platform.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Imagine supporting xbox from day one, buying all of the amazing xbox exclusives and loving every minute of the 360, helping MS gain major marketshare in the industry, only be to told "lol we don't want gamers like you anymore" when Kinect launched. That's what happened to Microsoft's original fan base.

I kept my 360 til the end of the gen and was there day 1 for a ps4 and never looked back. I bought a 1x to play a few exclusives I had missed out on but bought them on the cheap gamepass deals because Microsoft didn't deserve to get paid. I won't buy a series console unless there's a revision and i can pick it up for £200 in a few years time.

Microsoft were warned in 2008 not to abandon the hardcore gamers. We were laughed at for calling ourselves hardcore gamers
They were warned by their hardcore fans not to chase Kinect
They were warned by their hardcore fans to change course after the durango leaks
Then the fans left and stopped warning them

Microsoft brought this on themselves. Unless they fire Phil Spencer and change their direction with Xbox before E3, they are done for.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Imagine supporting xbox from day one, buying all of the amazing xbox exclusives and loving every minute of the 360, helping MS gain major marketshare in the industry, only be to told "lol we don't want gamers like you anymore" when Kinect launched. That's what happened to Microsoft's original fan base.

I kept my 360 til the end of the gen and was there day 1 for a ps4 and never looked back. I bought a 1x to play a few exclusives I had missed out on but bought them on the cheap gamepass deals because Microsoft didn't deserve to get paid. I won't buy a series console unless there's a revision and i can pick it up for £200 in a few years time.

Microsoft were warned in 2008 not to abandon the hardcore gamers. We were laughed at for calling ourselves hardcore gamers
They were warned by their hardcore fans to change course after the durango leaks

Microsoft brought this on themselves. Unless they fire Phil Spencer and change their direction with Xbox before E3, they are done for.
it's also losing games like Halo and Gears quality level.

Halo 5 was borderline insulting to master chief, they made him locke's bitch. I know a ton of people, myself included who swore off Halo after that game.

Gears, the same thing. Marcus made a backseat character, and now they've feminized the universe to the point where no male gamer could identify with it any more. Of course sales are down. Hell the two effeminate males in the new squad were killed off in the last game, lol. Only Kait is left!

MS is just a case of a bunch of suits not knowing (or giving a shit, really) about what their audience wants.

It's mind-boggling to me that they have any fans left, like at all... they've done such a horrible job over the years.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
it's also losing games like Halo and Gears quality level.

Halo 5 was borderline insulting to master chief, they made him locke's bitch. I know a ton of people, myself included who swore off Halo after that game.

Gears, the same thing. Marcus made a backseat character, and now they've feminized the universe to the point where no male gamer could identify with it any more. Of course sales are down. Hell the two effeminate males in the new squad were killed off in the last game, lol. Only Kait is left!

MS is just a case of a bunch of suits not knowing (or giving a shit, really) about what their audience wants.

It's mind-boggling to me that they have any fans left, like at all... they've done such a horrible job over the years.

They wanted to legit move away from Chief with Halo 5 and calling the collection MCC in attempt to make new Halo go the Gears route.

I mean… they had the wrong idea from the jump. Infinite was a course correction on paper and nothing more.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

😆😆😆

Man I even forget they were left outside the window lol

I was more focused why the first game won't come to PS... it is very weird but feels like Square Enix.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Hmmm, interesting you cite 2008 there, since that’s when Phil went from mismanaging the European and UK studios for MS into buttfucking the whole of XBGS…

• they're_right_you_know

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023

😆😆😆

LMAO general MLD in the comments. I remember that fangirl from Elpresador era. Havent seen him in a decade. About to check his profile. I need good laugh.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
They wanted to legit move away from Chief with Halo 5 and calling the collection MCC in attempt to make new Halo go the Gears route.

I mean… they had the wrong idea from the jump. Infinite was a course correction on paper and nothing more.
i got harassed over and over because i said 343 shat the bed with halo 5. I was for almost 10 years calling for bunnie ross to get shitcanned. Banned from halo waypoint forums, chased from every halo community under the sun.

Finally this year i get the last laugh and was proven 100% right.

Halo is dead and 343 is the killer.