Msft to completely stop Xbox Series production for the quarter & Sony to halve production after lower-than-expected sales during xmas. Take with 🧂🧂

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony cutting half of production might mean they’ve caught up to demand. They probably have like 60 million made altogether or their abouts. I wonder if their goal for 2024 will be around 15 million. That’d still put them near 65 million for the 4th year.

What was ps4 at at the end of its 4th year?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
We have the data for December and PS5 went up everywhere. They could halve production because their targets were so high anyway. Xbox is another story.

Sounds like SonyToo so the xbots don't panic when they stop the production of Series. They already said -40% for this quarter.

24 Jun 2022
Sony have a good track record of directly debunking these types of rumors, like they did with that jackass Bloomberg Takahashi multiple times. So if this is false, we'll hear an official statement from them soon.

Reason being, these types of rumors can screw around with stock prices if they don't get shut down quickly. At least for companies where the console brand actually means something significant to the bottom line, like Sony for example. The Xbox part could be true but given the microscopic role Xbox hardware matters to Microsoft as a whole, it wouldn't mean much to debunk or confirm the rumor anytime soon.

Though in their case, I'm assuming they won't put a statement out because the Xbox production part is likely true. With the PlayStation stuff, it's a 50/50 hence I'm waiting to see an official response from Sony.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Deto and Diah
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sony have a good track record of directly debunking these types of rumors, like they did with that jackass Bloomberg Takahashi multiple times. So if this is false, we'll hear an official statement from them soon.

Reason being, these types of rumors can screw around with stock prices if they don't get shut down quickly. At least for companies where the console brand actually means something significant to the bottom line, like Sony for example. The Xbox part could be true but given the microscopic role Xbox hardware matters to Microsoft as a whole, it wouldn't mean much to debunk or confirm the rumor anytime soon.

Though in their case, I'm assuming they won't put a statement out because the Xbox production part is likely true. With the PlayStation stuff, it's a 50/50 hence I'm waiting to see an official response from Sony.
Yeah, we shall see.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

I think they have some kind of report soon where they'll talk sales so they would likely clear things up then. Honestly, certain media people have been throwing so much shit at them this generation that they're likely used to it by now.

Source seems very questionable as well.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony cutting half of production might mean they’ve caught up to demand. They probably have like 60 million made altogether or their abouts. I wonder if their goal for 2024 will be around 15 million. That’d still put them near 65 million for the 4th year.

What was ps4 at at the end of its 4th year?
Their goal was 63 million by March of this year 😶

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Aww gee, if only there was something for them to Switch To.

But no, I don't really believe it.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I bet they were so aggressive in promos last quarter to get rid of as much hardware as possible before halting production and people figuring out that an Xbox is just was worthless.

That hardware was from......2022

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
I believe it.

The industry is headed for a contraction. Most mobile gamers have ditched gaming for tiktok.
Most casuals play cod or Fortnite sparingly and ignore FIFA almost entirely.
The sales may be there, but the engagement is dropping off.

MAUs and other fluffy figures are massaged using bots.

Even old school hardcore gamers have grown away from the hobby, a combination of getting too old to find time to play and a lack of strong draw power to keep them playing.

PC will see a resurgence, as more people move away from consoles. This isn't the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last, but it is happening.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Given how they economy is going a lot of stuff fell off the cliff after the new year.

Hang on to your hats this is gonna be a rough one!

I'm not sure about the ps5 tho... Everything else was up and up in 2023 for them, so this may be another case of "Sony too".

Reactions: Gamernyc78

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I believe it.

The industry is headed for a contraction. Most mobile gamers have ditched gaming for tiktok.
Most casuals play cod or Fortnite sparingly and ignore FIFA almost entirely.
The sales may be there, but the engagement is dropping off.

MAUs and other fluffy figures are massaged using bots.

Even old school hardcore gamers have grown away from the hobby, a combination of getting too old to find time to play and a lack of strong draw power to keep them playing.

PC will see a resurgence, as more people move away from consoles. This isn't the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last, but it is happening.
I agree that the growth seems to be in mobile and PC. I haven't read that tiktok was eating into the mobile gaming market, but it's not unbelievable since they're all fighting for the same engagement.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Consoles will consoles will continue to thrive. Switch 2 will sell a gazillion consoles and this narrative will be another one killed.