My Take on the PS5 Pro

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's near impossible to show the graphical difference for the Ps5 Pro and the PS5 via compressed youtube videos without jumping into a DF style framerate comparison and zoom and enhance tactics and while that might get hits for DF, it's not great marketing.

This system will be organically marketed by core gamers and by development studios with their individual promises and deliverables.
Another think that doesn't help is that I were a PS4 owners and I never felt missing n game experience from the PS4 Pro.
Games ran pretty on PS4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well the presentation was more or less (games wise) the PS5 reveal presentation, but with "you don't have to choose between fidelity and performance modes". Not really the greatest way to convince people who are on board since day 1 and probably already played all those games to upgrade. Especially if - because of their own fault - you have already better looking versions of the majority of those games on a different platform.
I thought it went a bit beyond that, and people have been saying "I wish we could have fidelity mode at 60 fps" since the launch of the console ...

The video was literally a response to those statements that have been happening for years.

Reactions: mibu no ookami
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Another think that doesn't help is that I was a PS4 owners and never missed anything from the PS4 Pro.
Games run pretty on PS4.

I mean inherently that isn't true. Base PS4 games were often stuck at 30fps and/or very low resolutions.

It's one thing to say that doesn't matter to you, which is personal preference, but from the perspective of 60 fps being standard, PS4 wasn't cutting it and neither are PS5 and XSX moving forward.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I mean inherently that isn't true. Base PS4 games were often stuck at 30fps and/or very low resolutions.

It's one thing to say that doesn't matter to you, which is personal preference, but from the perspective of 60 fps being standard, PS4 wasn't cutting it and neither are PS5 and XSX moving forward.
Ohhh the PC mentality.
I’m a console gamer… and probably will never play games on PC.

Even the last PS4 releases like TLOU2 played perfectly on PS4.
I understand these that want to have better graphics here or there but the experience is the same.

Nobody will say you played a different game on PS4 Pro than PS4… they are the same game.

Like I said it is cool and all but I don’t fell that I will be missing anything with PS5.

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
Another think that doesn't help is that I was a PS4 owners and I never felt missing n game experience from the PS4 Pro.
Games ran pretty on PS4.

i thought about this when cerny kept talking about the pro solving the "problem" of chosing between fidelity and performance, if anything the ps4 pro had a resolution that the base one didnt, but my ps5 already has 4k or 60fps, too much money to fuse both

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
i thought about this when cerny kept talking about the pro solving the "problem" of chosing between fidelity and performance, if anything the ps4 pro had a resolution that the base one didnt, but my ps5 already has 4k or 60fps, too much money to fuse both
He said that but after says that he saw Pro patches that added 3 or more modes 🔥

xor

29 Sep 2022
You can make an argument for it, but it just feels like a ripoff at a basic emotional level and that's going to doom it.
The jump from the PS4 to the Pro was meaningful and easy to demonstrate.

The PS5 Pro presentation was more like
"The graphics in these last-gen games from four years ago are now slightly better, in a way that can only be seen on youtube if we zoom in and go in slow motion. Also you don't get a drive anymore. No stand either. £700 please."

Ditching the drive in particular is an outrageously miserly move for a high-end machine that's supposedly aimed at enthusiasts.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You can make an argument for it, but it just feels like a ripoff at a basic emotional level and that's going to doom it.

"The graphics in these last-gen games from four years ago are now slightly better, in a way that can only be seen on youtube if we zoom in and go in slow motion. Also you don't get a drive anymore. No stand either. £700 please."

Ditching the drive in particular is an outrageously miserly move for a high-end machine that's supposedly aimed at enthusiasts.

I mean that's largely coming from miserly consumers who feel like they should get everything for free.

Ultimately, we'll see where the market falls on this.

Reactions: Entropi

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Well, Asmongold said he is definitely buying one and he is a PCMR guy...

So...
surprisingly, I am watching his vid right now and he is not as harsh as he usually is.
Also he says "most people don't have the knowledge to be a pc guy". .... while he calls himself a pc guy and it;s always a pain to watch him discover what settings in games does....

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

wtf are you talking about, they literally showed how graphics and performance improved, especially performance, when it was 4k30fps, now you can play 4k60fps, which is huge upgrade.

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
wtf are you talking about, they literally showed how graphics and performance improved, especially performance, when it was 4k30fps, now you can play 4k60fps, which is huge upgrade.
Sony: this is exactly what you asked for so why are you mad? 4k, 60fps, pssr, ai
Broke people:
Tearing Up Joe Biden GIF by Obama

• haha
Reactions: Helios and Kokoloko

xor

29 Sep 2022
Nah, there's no comparison.

The jump from the base PS4 to the Pro was huge. Going from (sometimes sub-)1080p to either 1440p or checkerboard rendering upscaled to 4K was incredibly obvious and spoke for itself. There was no arguing about it and no need to defend it. The base PS4 looked very soft by comparison, worsened by the widespread use of aggressive TAA.

(The base PS4 could still look great, and the softness was even arguably beneficial in certain games that were going for a cinematic look. I played TLOU2 on a base PS4, and the combination of softness, 30fps, and film grain kind of gave it a 16mm film feel which was completely compatible with that game's vibe. So I'm not saying 1080p looked like crap, just that the jump to 1440p is immediately very obvious.)

The PS5 Pro's "huge upgrade" is that performance mode now looks closer to fidelity mode. Still not quite the same as fidelity, mind you. They had to make that clear repeatedly during the presentation. Just... closer.
"Oh okay, I can see more detail in that distant sign now".
"Oh, if it's shown side by side I can see that there's more grass while still being 60fps, that's neat I guess."

There's plenty of Digital Foundry pixel-peeping fodder and I am interested in that stuff. But there's no wow factor here. It doesn't look fundamentally different. It's a slight visual upgrade, a decent storage upgrade, an optical drive downgrade, a missing stand, and a much higher price tag. It's not going to appeal to that many people.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Nah, there's no comparison.

The jump from the base PS4 to the Pro was huge. Going from (sometimes sub-)1080p to either 1440p or checkerboard rendering upscaled to 4K was incredibly obvious and spoke for itself. There was no arguing about it and no need to defend it. The base PS4 looked very soft by comparison, worsened by the widespread use of aggressive TAA.

(The base PS4 could still look great, and the softness was even arguably beneficial in certain games that were going for a cinematic look. I played TLOU2 on a base PS4, and the combination of softness, 30fps, and film grain kind of gave it a 16mm film feel which was completely compatible with that game's vibe. So I'm not saying 1080p looked like crap, just that the jump to 1440p is immediately very obvious.)

The PS5 Pro's "huge upgrade" is that performance mode now looks closer to fidelity mode. Still not quite the same as fidelity, mind you. They had to make that clear repeatedly during the presentation. Just... closer.
"Oh okay, I can see more detail in that distant sign now".
"Oh, if it's shown side by side I can see that there's more grass while still being 60fps, that's neat I guess."

There's plenty of Digital Foundry pixel-peeping fodder and I am interested in that stuff. But there's no wow factor here. It doesn't look fundamentally different. It's a slight visual upgrade, a decent storage upgrade, an optical drive downgrade, a missing stand, and a much higher price tag. It's not going to appeal to that many people.
I game on 48" oled on my desk. To me, any higher res is appreciable :p

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Framerate is hard to sell… you need like DF to even know it.
Graphics always stun more the watchers and can see immediately in any video, streaming, picture, etc.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Framerate is hard to sell.
Graphics always stun more the watchers.
but everyone keeps screaming for framerate... while they were perfectly happy playing 30fps games and being wowed by graphics.
People just don't know better and they only think they do because DF told them so

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
but everyone keeps screaming for framerate... while they were perfectly happy playing 30fps games and being wowed by graphics.
People just don't know better and they only think they do because DF told them so
Everyone in gaming forum? Because I don’t see most of console gamers talking about frame rate.

While everybody comments how the new PS5 FIFA looks stunning compared with PS4 FIFA.

PS. Actually my example is real from a guy that plays on PS4 when he played EA Sport on PS5.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Framerate is hard to sell… you need like DF to even know it.
Graphics always stun more the watchers and can see immediately in any video, streaming, picture, etc.
i am confused, i thought they said that 3 quarters of gamers on ps5 prefer performance mode?

Surely that means framerate is king?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: mibu no ookami

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
i am confused, i thought they said that 3 quarters of gamers on ps5 prefer performance mode?

Surely that means framerate is king?
I thinik he means mean showing general public/presentations etc. Gears, Uncharted, TLou always stunned but they were 30fps

Reactions: Sircaw