My Take on the PS5 Pro

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I thinik he means mean showing general public/presentations etc. Gears, Uncharted, TLou always stunned but they were 30fps
I am just thinking that for the use of a beter phrase, "there are no new games on offer"all the games featured are older gamers that already exist.

This PS5 pro model is not trying to sell to an untapped audience; it's targeting enthusiasts who want to basically game at 60 fps with all the bells and whistles on.

Its a luxury upgrade.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
i am confused, i thought they said that 3 quarters of gamers on ps5 prefer performance mode?

Surely that means framerate is king?
Or the dara means people don’t change the default settings… games trend to have performance as default…

But that was not my point.
How do you sells better frame rate? How do you show it?
Better graphics sells itself.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Or the dara means people don’t change the default settings… games trend to have performance as default…

But that was not my point.
How do you sells better frame rate? How do you show it?
Better graphics sells itself.
Like i said, you are selling to enthusiasts, i suspect the vast majority of people that are going to get the pro already know the benefits of frame rate.

The pro is not for first-time buyers.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I am just thinking that for the use of a beter phrase, "there are no new games on offer"all the games featured are older gamers that already exist.

This PS5 pro model is not trying to sell to an untapped audience; it's targeting enthusiasts who want to basically game at 60 fps with all the bells and whistles on.

Its a luxury upgrade.
Exactly, Sony knows to whom they are selling this console. PS4 pro sold less than 15 million and Sony doesn't target a market bigger than that with PS5 pro.

Reactions: Sircaw

uyoung1989

3 Feb 2024
They might as well just make it 1TB to have a $100 price dip. $599 with 1TB would have looked much better. For me, 2TB means I can sell my 1TB SSD along with the base PS5 for more trade in value.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They might as well just make it 1TB to have a $100 price dip. $599 with 1TB would have looked much better. For me, 2TB means I can sell my 1TB SSD along with the base PS5 for more trade in value.
it won't be a $100 price cut with only 1tb of storage. The reason they upped it to 2tb is because 1tb->2tb of storage costs far less than $100, and they're padding the margins.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Like i said, you are selling to enthusiasts, i suspect the fast majority of people that are going to get the pro already know the benefits of frame rate.

The pro is not for first-time buyers.
I agree.

And sales shows that with less than 20% of overall PS4 sales being Pro… in US as we got confirmation today 13%.

Frame rate is hard to sell to casual consumers (that are the biggest part of the user base)… I don’t even believe they know what frame rate is.

Reactions: Sircaw

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
it won't be a $100 price cut with only 1tb of storage. The reason they upped it to 2tb is because 1tb->2tb of storage costs far less than $100, and they're padding the margins.
+1

I think the 2TB was to try to justify the high price… of course for they it doesn’t cost a lot.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

The 2TB solution in the PS5 Pro probably costs less today than the 825MB one from the original PS5. 2TB means they're now using an 8 channel controller which is standard for the PC industry. Otherwise they'd be stuck with the 3.5GB/s PCIe 3.0 solutions of that time.

For the launch PS5 Sony had to develop and produce a custom SSD controller that used 12 channels (instead of the standard 8 channels) because there were no PCIe 4.0 NVMe controllers in the market in 2020, so this was the only way to reach 5.5GB/s.

So while they're spending a bit more on NAND chips for the PS5 Pro, they're now using a much cheaper off-the-shelf DRAM-less controller.

It's a mistake to assume Sony is paying a lot more for the PS5 Pro's storage now than they were for the PS5's back in 2020.
NAND price-per-GB is about half right now of what it was back in 2020.

24 Jun 2022
Look, I don't think $699 is overpriced in and of itself. If the value proposition is clearly shown and communicated, $699 is perfectly fine for what you get. But that's just it: the value proposition has to be clearly shown and communicated. I don't think the presentation yesterday made a good argument for that, and it's possible that's the case for a good number of would-be buyers as well.

Ignore the people who have a problem with the price altogether; they were never in the market for a Pro upgrade and I doubt they are high ARPU enthusiasts (the ones who are in the market for a high-priced Pro option) anyway. But I have seen some people conflate those types complaining about the price with those who just want more proof-of-concept the Pro is worth the price being asked before they happily spend that $699+. And I don't think that's 100% a fair thing to do.

Some people may have no problem blowiing $700+ on a product; they just might want whoever's selling that product to sell them on the product better. IMO SIE could've used the PS5 Pro announcement to sneak tease even a glimpse into the 2nd half of their software roadmap, with even just one game that's new clearly showing off the Pro's advantages. Hell, even a few snippets of in-game gameplay for Death Stranding 2 running on the Pro would've done it for the presentation, but they did none of these things.

And therein, we have the problem.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Some people may have no problem blowiing $700+ on a product; they just might want whoever's selling that product to sell them on the product better. IMO SIE could've used the PS5 Pro announcement to sneak tease even a glimpse into the 2nd half of their software roadmap, with even just one game that's new clearly showing off the Pro's advantages. Hell, even a few snippets of in-game gameplay for Death Stranding 2 running on the Pro would've done it for the presentation, but they did none of these things.
Yeah they should of just made this a show. Theres no harm in showing your future roadmap at this point. But they will just wait it out

There would of still been outrage by the media/youtube/social media but Playstation should actually show what new games people get to play, its common sense

Last edited:

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I have no problem with the $700 price tag but will say it does make me worry about 2 things.
1. How much will the base PS6 cost at launch.
2. Will the PS6 have a Disc model at launch or will it be like PS5 pro where you have to buy it separately?

Reactions: Kokoloko

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I have no problem with the $700 price tag but will say it does make me worry about 2 things.
2. Will the PS6 have a Disc model at launch or will it be like PS5 pro where you have to buy it separately?
Imagine if console escaped "cheap toy for kids" pricing. If it was 1500$ for example... how awesome could it be.
I guess ps6 could cost a lot depending on inflation and economy. 600 minimum

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Imagine if console escaped "cheap toy for kids" pricing. If it was 1500$ for example... how awesome could it be.
PS6 with 11800X3D+RTX6090 equivalent AMD GPU, id pay like $2000 for that lol (depending on if AMD stops sucking bad with their shit)

Reactions: rofif

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think optional disc is what they will go with. Slim, Pro gone this route. Keeps it easier for making 1 sku PS6. But the option is for both is better in my opinion

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I imagine that PS6 releasing in November 2027 at the earliest would mean $600 is the minimum and with inflation that wpuldn't be that bad of a price but anything more than that might hurt impulse buyers and cut off a sizable amount of the ps fan base.

Reactions: rofif

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I imagine that PS6 releasing in November 2027 at the earliest would mean $600 is the minimum and with inflation that wpuldn't be that bad of a price but anything more than that might hurt impulse buyers and cut off a sizable amount of the ps fan base.
I predict a significant economic downturn by 2027 so I doubt it comes out at $600