Naughty Dog confirms PC will be in their development pipeline going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
The writing has been and is on the wall, this is the way going forward for PS Studios.

"We’re excited to be offering The Last of Us Part I on PC in the future, and know that, moving forward, adding PC development to the way we develop games, which in no way undermines the importance of PlayStation 5 as our primary platform, will continue to benefit our team in the long run."

@Bryank75 This is them basically telling you all will be well, but the train ain't stopping.

P

peter42O

No surprise here. Games are developed on PC's and the PlayStation 5 has the same x86 architecture as PC's. For Sony, it's going to be a lot more revenue, a lot more players who aren't going to buy a PlayStation 5 simply because they want the best and PC will always be the best platform and they will gain growth for all of their future IP's which will always be far more valuable than any console simply because every console has an expiration date.

No interest in TLOU Factions but I am hoping that Naughty Dog is working on a new IP before we get The Last of Us Part III which I do believe will end the generation for Naughty Dog.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
what the title says and what the post says are two different things

the title makes it seem like they are developing for pc first using PC hardware, when it says they are simply adding it to their current development pipeline

OP
OP
DynamiteCop

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
what the title says and what the post says are two different things

the title makes it seem like they are developing for pc first using PC hardware, when it says they are simply adding it to their current development pipeline
Dude wut...

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
It's not old news because they literally just made this post, and you're crying.

P.S. these are no longer ports, this is now multiplatform development.
It's weird how somebody who's constantly criticising Sony anticipates their PC ports (one or two years later) with such glee.

I guess it further reinforces the Sony seal of quality (that and the fact that Nintendo isn't bringing anything to PC, and Microsoft's year has been utterly barren).

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Venom 2 Punching GIF by Venom Movie

xor

29 Sep 2022
That article hints, but doesn't quite outright say, that future ND PC versions will be handled in-house rather than being ports by Iron Galaxy et al.
Would be nice to get confirmation of that.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
which in no way undermines the importance of PlayStation 5 as our primary platform

Let's see if this will be the case.

ND have been consistently producing the best looking games on consoles for two generations. If this stops to be the case, the reason will be clear.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru
D

Deleted member 13

That article hints, but doesn't quite outright say, that future ND PC versions will be handled in-house rather than being ports by Iron Galaxy et al.
Would be nice to get confirmation of that
My friend told me years ago that ND was converting their pipeline to support the PC. I knew about this and tried to tell people on GAF and got nothing but ridicule and trolling. Kill the messenger.

I believe they worked with Iron Galaxy on the porting. I can only imagine that ND's engine is so secret that they would be doing the bulk of the development with IG optimizing and training more ND employees on the PC.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
So developing for an open platform together with fixed hardware is good? This fucking sucks. Generic one size fits all approach is the death nail for finely honed and optimised code focusing on the strengths of a non changing configuration.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and ethomaz
D

Deleted member 13

So developing for an open platform together with fixed hardware is good? This fucking sucks. Generic one size fits all approach is the death nail for finely honed and optimised code focusing on the strengths of a non changing configuration.
I would agree if we were still living in PS3 days but we are not. Do you guys have any problem with UE5? It's platform agnostic and yet includes features that no custom game engine have to date (ala Nanite + Lumen)

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I would agree if we were still living in PS3 days but we are not. Do you guys have any problem with UE5? It's platform agnostic and yet includes features that no custom game engine have to date (ala Nanite + Lumen)

That's fair, but with any piece of code, the less hardware you have to account for (as well as APIs, etc) the easier it is to optimize and get every last CPU cycle to render what you want on screen. Games like TLOU 2 would never run on a PC that's not substantially better than the PS4 as a whole package. Hell, just compare the minimum CPU requirements for GoW on PC vs what the PS4 offers.

In spite of having more cores, both the PS4 and PS4 pro pale in comparison with the Ryzen 3 1200. Unless a company is not being their usual lazy self with ports, more platforms to develop for usually = less of a specific hardware combination being exploited to its maximum, even if that HW is also X86.

Status
Not open for further replies.