Naughty Dog confirms PC will be in their development pipeline going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 Jun 2022
How would PC not be in their development pipeline? Sony already stated Gaas games would also be on PC day one, we all know this includes games such as The Last of Us Factions which will more than likely be a huge mp/gaas game. What am I missing with this news? This was confirmed over a month ago.

I mean yeah, that's true, but the vagueness in these statements towards the type of games leaves room for interpretation that they're also referring to non live-service/GaaS titles and that's kind of a different matter altogether if true.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

8BiTw0LF

This is good for everyone, right? - like, I can't find a single reason for it to be bad..

PlayStation will still be first priority. PC is a side chick who Sony can make good money on. Everything goes into the pool of future developments.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I mean yeah, that's true, but the vagueness in these statements towards the type of games leaves room for interpretation that they're also referring to non live-service/GaaS titles and that's kind of a different matter altogether if true.
The way Sony is going we should assume all games (no matter the type) are up for grabs. Sony is already all in on making that PC money. If things are going to be tweaked to include PC for gaas I expect it for other things as well.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
According to some Sony gamers here, it's useless to buy the 4090 as games are made with low end hardware in mind and the graphics featureset will only allow low settings with low FPS and low resolution 1440p. Basically buy a Series S and call it a day.
I would use RTX 4090 to do 6k downsampled in 4K TV😋

D

Deleted member 13

That's not strictly true.

Buy a 4090 and know that it will not be fully utilised for years to come. A quick look at the benchmarks tells you all you need to know.

So your high-end card will see no software designed to make best use of capabilities in the near future, which wasn't the case in the PC gaming world in previous gens. Oh and it's the best part of £2,000.
I was being snide and sarcastic.

Very easy to tax the 4090 by introducing RT. Turn off DLSS and you'll see how much power it really has. It's not hard to push these GPUs to the limit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 51
D

Deleted member 13

Do you have documentation on other custom engines to say that definitively? I don't think other engines would have exact things like Nanite & Lumen, but there are likely at least some with features that provide similar benefits and results to what Nanite & Lumen do.
I wager that we won't see anything like that for this entire generation other than UE5. Bookmark it. Plague's normal, parallax and displacement mapping comes extremely close, but it's still not Nanite.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I was being snide and sarcastic.

Very easy to tax the 4090 by introducing RT. Turn off DLSS and you'll see how much power it really has. It's not hard to push these GPUs to the limit.
No, because in a lot of circumstances you'll have peak frame rates that go beyond the refresh rate of many monitors.

Not to mention the countless number of games that don't even support RTX.

Face it, that card won't be pushed properly for years. Hence so many reviewers admitting it's a waste of money for the bulk of gamers.

D

Deleted member 13

No, because in a lot of circumstances you'll have peak frame rates that go beyond the refresh rate of many monitors.
Those are circumstances related to gameplay. We can't avoid that.

Not to mention the countless number of games that don't even support RTX.
That's why I said RT. Eventually RT will become a standard for the lighting pipeline in a game.

Face it, that card won't be pushed properly for years. Hence so many reviewers admitting it's a waste of money for the bulk of gamers.
Agreed. Because devs haven't tried doing more complex shaders like hair, skin and real volume ray-casting.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Those are circumstances related to gameplay. We can't avoid that.

That's why I said RT. Eventually RT will become a standard for the lighting pipeline in a game.

Agreed. Because devs haven't tried doing more complex shaders like hair, skin and real volume ray-casting.
Seriously? These game engines straight up aren't demanding enough and you're left with far more untapped power than we've seen before.

Yeah eventually. That's why I say it won't be properly pushed for many years.

D

Deleted member 13

Seriously? These game engines straight up aren't demanding enough and you're left with far more untapped power than we've seen before.
The power is "untapped"? Running a UE game will have the GPU usage pegged at 99%. If game engines are untapped, why do we keep seeing 1440p videogames for the consoles? A developer can easily push native 4k to eat up bandwidth to see some gains in fidelity - and yet - that's not what we are seeing. Every game coming out (exclusive or not) can't even be ran at native 4k/60FPS. All we are seeing is the typical bandwidth constrained 2080-like console GPU that struggles to do 4k/60FPS.

• fire

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The power is "untapped"? Running a UE game will have the GPU usage pegged at 99%. If game engines are untapped, why do we keep seeing 1440p videogames for the consoles? A developer can easily push native 4k to eat up bandwidth to see some gains in fidelity - and yet - that's not what we are seeing. Every game coming out (exclusive or not) can't even be ran at native 4k/60FPS. All we are seeing is the typical bandwidth constrained 2080-like console GPU that struggles to do 4k/60FPS.
With you it's like talking to a brick wall the second PC gaming comes up.

The potential of the 4090 is untapped. Games could be looking far better and still have frame rates meeting the refresh rates of the majority of monitors on the market.

This isn't about consoles. You just want to dick wave about how a £1,600 card blows away consoles - yeah no shit Sherlock, so did the 3080/3080ti/3090/3090ti - and they have a ton of untapped potential too.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar
D

Deleted member 13

Likewise when Sony gets mentioned..

The potential of the 4090 is untapped. Games could be looking far better and still have frame rates meeting the refresh rates of the majority of monitors on the market.
You can say that with all the GPUs. I tell you what? Tell me if the games currently running (on the GPU in the current consoles) has more graphics features than games put out years ago on a 2080Ti GPU since we have a few exclusive only next-gen games out and they are being fully taken advantage of?

This isn't about consoles. You just want to dick wave about how a £1,600 card blows away consoles - yeah no shit Sherlock, so did the 3080/3080ti/3090/3090ti - and they have a ton of untapped potential too.
It's not about dick waving at all. I ask you to prove where the untapped potential is with a graphics engine like UE when I'm showing 99% GPU usage. Can you actually tell me what's eating up so much usage in a game? Study the costs of each of the those graphics features and start listing their expense in .ms. It's not hard.

• fire

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Likewise when Sony gets mentioned..

You can say that with all the GPUs. I tell you what? Tell me if the games currently running (on the GPU in the current consoles) has more graphics features than games put out years ago on a 2080Ti GPU since we have a few exclusive only next-gen games out and they are being fully taken advantage of?

It's not about dick waving at all. I ask you to prove where the untapped potential is with a graphics engine like UE when I'm showing 99% GPU usage. Can you actually tell me what's eating up so much usage in a game? Study the costs of each of the those graphics features and start listing their expense in .ms. It's not hard.
I've already made the point that the 4090 has more untapped potential at release than any card I can remember. Reviews and benchmarks bear that out. Sorry if that triggers you, but if you can't accept that then perhaps you're not as clever as you think.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Probably because Iron Galaxy or what they are called did a bad job with Uncharted PC port even after a year of delays that shows the NG engine is not easy to be ported to PC.

• haha

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
That's not strictly true.

Buy a 4090 and know that it will not be fully utilised for years to come. A quick look at the benchmarks tells you all you need to know.

So your high-end card will see no software designed to make best use of capabilities in the near future, which wasn't the case in the PC gaming world in previous gens. Oh and it's the best part of £2,000.
What? It’s! Got 100% usage in plenty of stuff.
When I got 3080 2 years ago that shit was 100% day one.

D

Deleted member 13

It's the same narrative with these guys. They believe that high-end hardware is a luxury and devs don't think about what more they can do in high-end systems. They intentionally make themselves blind in order to not see the difference. They are only concerned that their primary plastic is the main focus and everything else doesn't matter.

• angry
Reactions: Hezekiah and rofif

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
You're also missing the point.

What good are all those extra frames if they exceed the refresh rate of your monitor lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.