Next-gen Xbox to have 2 SKUs including handheld |UP| Xbox teases powerful next gen console & Phil alludes to handheld or playing everywhere sku.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Update 3/25

Update 2/15/24

Microsoft is teasing the potential for unique Xbox hardware in the future and a powerful next-gen console. Four previously exclusive Xbox games are officially coming to the PS5 and Nintendo Switch soon, and Microsoft wants to reassure Xbox fans that it’s still very much invested in the future of its platform and hardware.
In an official Xbox podcast today, Xbox president Sarah Bond teased that Microsoft will deliver “the largest technical leap” with the next-generation Xbox:

We’ve got more to come. There’s some exciting stuff coming out in hardware that we’re going to share this holiday. We’re also invested in the next-generation roadmap. What we’re really focused on there is delivering the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation, which makes it better for players and better for creators and the visions that they’re building.

Speaking to The Verge, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer went a step further, teasing that the Xbox hardware teams are thinking about building different kinds of hardware. “I’m very proud of the work that the hardware team is doing, not only for this year, but also into the future,” says Spencer. “[We’re] really thinking about creating hardware that sells to gamers because of the unique aspects of the hardware. It’s kind of an unleashing of the creative capability of our hardware team that I’m really excited about.”
Perhaps that unique hardware is an Xbox handheld. “We see a lot of opportunity in different types of devices, and will share specifics on our future hardware plans as soon as we are ready,” says Microsoft in an Xbox blog post today.

Also...

Xbox has pledged that its consoles will continue to be the best way to play its games, and that access to those games will not be removed in the near future.

As part of its statement on the future of the Xbox business, an article on the Xbox blog states that Xbox consoles “will continue to provide a flagship experience for players”.

It also notes that Game Pass “will continue to be only available on Xbox platforms”, essentially shooting down suggestions that it may come to PlayStation or Nintendo systems in the future.

The statement also appears to dismiss concerns that players’ Xbox libraries will be shut down in the future, saying the company’s “commitment to game preservation is unwavering”.

“Xbox players should have confidence in building your digital library in the Xbox ecosystem,”
it says.

“We will continue to reward that with the most robust, player-friendly experiences, including backwards compatibility, cross-play, cross-save progression, convenient cloud gaming, and more.”

It also makes the following promises for Xbox players:

• “The biggest games in the world will be on Xbox. ”
  • “Our games will come to Game Pass day one.”
  • “A robust and innovative multi-year hardware roadmap.”
  • “Compatibility with your library is a priority, inclusive of cross-play, cross-save, and robust cloud features.”
  • “Xbox will continue to help game creators find the biggest audience possible.”
Source

1707215450103.png

Next-gen Xbox is on track for 2026; features two SKUs including a Switch-like handheld, it's claimed​

• Xbox community member Magg allegedly has insight into Xbox's plans for the future, revealing that Xbox is still planning to release a next-gen console.
  • The next-gen Xbox launch will reportedly include two SKUs: a traditional high-end console and a Switch-like dockable handheld.
  • Phil Spencer previously stated that the Xbox console is at the heart of everything they do and will be moving forward.

Magg revealed that Xbox are still pretty much planning to release a next-gen console. The target release window is currently 2026 but obviously, plans can change and nothing is yet set in stone.

In addition, the next-gen Xbox will reportedly have two SKUs. One is a traditional high-end console akin to the Xbox Series X, while the second one is a bit more exciting. According to Magg, the second device will be a Switch-like dockable handheld.

Unfortunately, he did not delve into details so that's pretty much the only info we have regarding these products. Reliable Xbox journalist Jez Corden recently revealed that Microsoft greenlit a bunch of Xbox hardware, implying that they have no plans to leave the console space anytime soon.

Update 2/15/24

Tom Warren's tweet:

if Microsoft does end up doing an Xbox handheld my ideal would be one that has the Xbox OS and UI, access to Xbox games, and even PC ones with Windows underneath. As @StarFire2258 argues, Microsoft has the technology to build an Xbox Steam Deck
Tom Henderson's reply to Tom Warren's tweet: https://twitter.com/Tom_Henderson/status/1758156197037826385

Source

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Interesting but I kind of expected something like this if not wanted.

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
Interesting but I kind of expected something like this if not wanted.

This is what Jez was alluding to last week. Going the Steam Deck/Switch route is their last trump card.

I still think it will be a major mistake. Especially with games coming out on PS5/PS6. Sony will most likely go a similar route as well.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This is what Jez was alluding to last week. Going the Steam Deck/Switch route is their last trump card.

I still think it will be a major mistake. Especially with games coming out on PS5/PS6. Sony will most likely go a similar route as well.
It's what many expected even before Jez don't know shit mentioned this. It's either this or a firestick like streaming device both similar as they are both portable and can push that "play anywhere" initiative.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Have they learned nothing from Sega?

Launching a new platform too early while already having lost nearly all market share to Sony.

It’s friggin over. No one will buy Xbox hardware when everything and more is on PlayStation … and actually has users.

What’s even more laughable is the idea it’s still better to Xbox because of gamepass …. Lmfao….. that didn’t work now —- what will change?

Xbots just need to stop. This is it. It’s really over. Don’t do this to yourselves.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Have they learned nothing from Sega?

Launching a new platform too early while already having lost nearly all market share to Sony.

It’s friggin over. No one will buy Xbox hardware when everything and more is on PlayStation … and actually has users.

What’s even more laughable is the idea it’s still better to Xbox because of gamepass …. Lmfao….. that didn’t work now —- what will change?

Xbots just need to stop. This is it. It’s really over. Don’t do this to yourselves.
Yeah no one is interested. They lost so much mindshare it's not even salvageable.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The more they go after Nintendo... the more Nintendo will be baited to go after them on the high-end. The perfect annoying tease....

I see no problem with it. I welcome it. Crowding out the SteamDeck in the process.... even better. Plays like a violin to my vision of what incentives drive industry moves which in turn create the competitive environment I wish to see.

Sony is in that bunch as well.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
I have a SteamDeck (LCD, 64GB + Upgraded 1TB SSD) and after the experience of using it, I'm waiting for Steam Deck 2 (it's great for RTS, CRPG and tactics classics, touchpads are a great feature).

I also have an XSX, and for almost 3 years of use, MS has deceived me, like other XBOX users, there are no quality releases, the multiplatform is worse than on PS5, the only advantage is that my region is not in the XBOX Store, so I bought many releases cheaper.

And after that, MS wants to sell a new portable handheld console?

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
this is fake as of now. next gen console for m$ makes no sense business wise. they are trying stop bleeding money, but gonna now create a new one which cost billions to bleed 😁

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Wasn’t there a rumor that AMD hadn’t signed any contracts with MS yet?

Or maybe xbox is looking to tank someone else’s profits, like Qualcomm, Samsung or nvidia.