Next-gen Xbox to have 2 SKUs including handheld |UP| Xbox teases powerful next gen console & Phil alludes to handheld or playing everywhere sku.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Wasn’t there a rumor that AMD hadn’t signed any contracts with MS yet?

Or maybe xbox is looking to tank someone else’s profits, like Qualcomm, Samsung or nvidia.
Yeah tht was a rumor.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Tom Warren saying next Xbox is an ARM hybrid and no contract signed with AMD for next gen console tells me they are going with a Switch like console but we will see.

If their multi platform strategy is as comprehensive as the rumors say then I believe their next console won’t be a PlayStation competitor.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Wasn’t there a rumor that AMD hadn’t signed any contracts with MS yet?

Or maybe xbox is looking to tank someone else’s profits, like Qualcomm, Samsung or nvidia.
The rumor was that they only just now signed, which would make releasing a console that soon quite difficult.

• Informative
Reactions: Entropi

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Picture this :
  • It's 2026
  • Gears of war, Halo MCC, Indiana Jones, HiFi Rush, Hellblade 2, Fable, Avowed, MS Flight sim, Forza Horizon, and all new games are day one games, etc are all on PS5, and some have gotten PS5 PRO patches, so they play better than exbox, and fully support Dualsense controllers.
  • Lamepass no longer provide day one games
  • PS5 Pro launched in fall 2024 with GTA 6 marketing and bundles. It's objectively the best place to play GTA6
  • PS5 Pro is the best place to play all multiplats
  • PS5 family is in the 100 million consoles sold ball park, with a recent revision and discounts at the holidays, black Friday, etc.
  • Cory Balrog new IP, Ghost of Tsushima 2, TLoU3 and a bunch of other first party games are out
  • PlayStation have had GOTY contenders every year
  • Switch 2 has been out for 2+ years
  • Steam Deck 2 is out or soon to be out
  • MS released a Elite 3 with haptics, but no adaptive triggers (so not as good as Dualsense)
Now imagine MS makes 2 new SKUs, one of them very weak (handheld), and a traditional console a bit more powerful than the PS5 PRO.
  1. Who is dumb enough to buy those?
  2. Which third party will want to support exbox series and the newer devices (4 SKUs) crossgen phase?
It'll be extra easy for Sony to make third party timed exclusives with all major third parties b cause of the extra dev work needed to support all those SKUs.

I don't buy this leak at all and seems to be a reaction to all the third party leaks.

We might get OEMs make some exbox branded PCs, but that's it for MS in hardware.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Picture this :
  • It's 2026
  • Gears of war, Halo MCC, Indiana Jones, HiFi Rush, Hellblade 2, Fable, Avowed, MS Flight sim, Forza Horizon, and all new games are day one games, etc are all on PS5, and some have gotten PS5 PRO patches, so they play better than exbox, and fully support Dualsense controllers.
  • Lamepass no longer provide day one games
  • PS5 Pro launched in fall 2024 with GTA 6 marketing and bundles. It's objectively the best place to play GTA6
  • PS5 Pro is the best place to play all multiplats
  • PS5 family is in the 100 million consoles sold ball park, with a recent revision and discounts at the holidays, black Friday, etc.
  • Cory Balrog new IP, Ghost of Tsushima 2, TLoU3 and a bunch of other first party games are out
  • PlayStation have had GOTY contenders every year
  • Switch 2 has been out for 2+ years
  • Steam Deck 2 is out or soon to be out
  • MS released a Elite 3 with haptics, but no adaptive triggers (so not as good as Dualsense)
Now imagine MS makes 2 new SKUs, one of them very weak (handheld), and a traditional console a bit more powerful than the PS5 PRO.
  1. Who is dumb enough to buy those?
  2. Which third party will want to support exbox series and the newer devices (4 SKUs) crossgen phase?
It'll be extra easy for Sony to make third party timed exclusives with all major third parties b cause of the extra dev work needed to support all those SKUs.

I don't buy this leak at all and seems to be a reaction to all the third party leaks.

We might get OEMs make some exbox branded PCs, but that's it for MS in hardware.
PS5 Pro + GTAVI is an all time great combo in the gaming business. Xbox quitting now made things line up perfectly.

Now Sony needs to figure out a solution for a native portable device, it's time. That is where they should be looking to expand to, even if they had a portable that was as big as the Vita it would still be much bigger than their market on PC and about as big as any Xbox SKU.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
So now they want to take on Nintendo/steam deck.With games like avowed.

This device gonna be in the same stores. That are throwing out Xbox physical media.

Go On Reaction GIF by Travis

• Informative
Reactions: Entropi

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
A high-end console makes zero sense.

Come to to think even a handheld doesn't make sense when Switch 2 and Steam Deck will have all their games.

Reactions: pop and Ezekiel
24 Jun 2022
Good, competition is the source of achievement

You don't question the validity of these rumors? Considering this one in particular is coming right after the rumored new PS portable tied to the PS6? It's an MO at this point with Xbox-centric content creators and podcasters to piggyback off PlayStation rumors with Xbox-equivalent ones.

Granted, I don't think Microsoft are leaving gaming hardware either....but that's exactly it, "gaming hardware". I've been refraining from using the term "console" because I don't think Microsoft are going to operate on that business model any longer going forward, and that alone would mean a shift of a LOT of things. But I think some of these people putting this rumor out are still stuck in 2007. They still think, and hope, Microsoft are going to put out console boxes heavily subsidized and produced in volumes to match Sony & Nintendo. That Microsoft are going to have tons of console-exclusives (even timed) in spite of potentially becoming a lot more aggressive with a full multiplat publishing strategy. That their advertising and messaging is still going to center on gunning after PlayStation and Nintendo (mainly PlayStation).

None of that is happening. There's nothing in it anymore for Microsoft to pursue hardware with that strategy. Like I said it's time they focused Xbox on being the best Xbox it could be, instead of ultimately looking like a second-rate PlayStation. I 100% don't doubt Microsoft are working on an Xbox handheld, but they're not going to make it to compete with the Switch 2. They're making it to compete with stuff like the Steam Deck, Asus ROG Ally, Lenovo Legion, etc.

And that's the similar path they're going to take with console-like Xbox hardware going forward, too, in relation to the NUC, laptop etc. markets. Probably based on some semi-custom specification with a range of scalability options for Microsoft & OEMs, pushing a customizable Xbox UI and built to run the latest Windows in both a regular general-purpose environment and a gaming-optimized environment (through the Xbox UI).

Obviously that's going to change things like pricing and marketing, volume of scale production, etc. But it's definitely the best path forward for Xbox gaming hardware, if Microsoft want to keep it around.

Reactions: Johnic

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
You don't question the validity of these rumors? Considering this one in particular is coming right after the rumored new PS portable tied to the PS6? It's an MO at this point with Xbox-centric content creators and podcasters to piggyback off PlayStation rumors with Xbox-equivalent ones.

Granted, I don't think Microsoft are leaving gaming hardware either....but that's exactly it, "gaming hardware". I've been refraining from using the term "console" because I don't think Microsoft are going to operate on that business model any longer going forward, and that alone would mean a shift of a LOT of things. But I think some of these people putting this rumor out are still stuck in 2007. They still think, and hope, Microsoft are going to put out console boxes heavily subsidized and produced in volumes to match Sony & Nintendo. That Microsoft are going to have tons of console-exclusives (even timed) in spite of potentially becoming a lot more aggressive with a full multiplat publishing strategy. That their advertising and messaging is still going to center on gunning after PlayStation and Nintendo (mainly PlayStation).

None of that is happening. There's nothing in it anymore for Microsoft to pursue hardware with that strategy. Like I said it's time they focused Xbox on being the best Xbox it could be, instead of ultimately looking like a second-rate PlayStation. I 100% don't doubt Microsoft are working on an Xbox handheld, but they're not going to make it to compete with the Switch 2. They're making it to compete with stuff like the Steam Deck, Asus ROG Ally, Lenovo Legion, etc.

And that's the similar path they're going to take with console-like Xbox hardware going forward, too, in relation to the NUC, laptop etc. markets. Probably based on some semi-custom specification with a range of scalability options for Microsoft & OEMs, pushing a customizable Xbox UI and built to run the latest Windows in both a regular general-purpose environment and a gaming-optimized environment (through the Xbox UI).

Obviously that's going to change things like pricing and marketing, volume of scale production, etc. But it's definitely the best path forward for Xbox gaming hardware, if Microsoft want to keep it around.
Too much confetti in the air right now to bother over analysing these things at the moment. Continuing consoles is by far my preference going forward.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If true then its knee-capping devs for nearly a decade, assuming they choose to actually put stuff on Xbox. Nintendo "gets away with it" because their own output, which makes up the lion's share of big titles, doesn't get ported anywhere but could you imagine if non-JRPGs were being scale limited to Switch size now? You'd all hate it. Anyways, blah blah blah, battery tech, blah blah blah overheating and size issues.

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024
You would? Why? Just curious?
Most of my gaming licenses are with xbox but lack of quality games has me playing on PC, but if xbox produced a handheld that could play my xbox library at one x graphics 1080/60, why not 🤷

But tbh i don't trust Microsoft to get it right, they ALWAYS mess something up.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Most of my gaming licenses are with xbox but lack of quality games has me playing on PC, but if xbox produced a handheld that could play my xbox library at one x graphics 1080/60, why not 🤷

But tbh i don't trust Microsoft to get it right, they ALWAYS mess something up.
Ohhhh makes sense.