Nintendo Financial Report - Switch passes PS4 (122.5m) Pokemon 20m, splatoon 3 10m, Bayonetta 3 1 million (Nintendo saved Platinum games)

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Switch hardware - 122.5m

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet - 20.61m
Splatoon 3 - 10.13m
Switch Sports - 8.61m
Kirby Forgotten Land 6.12m •
Xenoblade 3 - 1.81m
Bayonetta 3 - 1.04m

Looking at the Nintendo Switch business during the nine months ended December 31, 2022, Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet got off to a strong start, recording total sales of 20.61 million units during the period. Other new titles released during this fiscal year also performed well, with Splatoon 3 selling 10.13 million units, and Nintendo Switch Sports selling 8.61 million units.

In addition, among the titles released through the end of the previous fiscal year, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 6.66 million units (for cumulative sales of 52.00 million units) and Kirby and the Forgotten Land sold 3.47 million units (for cumulative sales of 6.12 million units). As a result of these factors, the total number of million-seller titles during this period was 27, including titles from other software publishers.

As for hardware, units sold declined 21.3% year-on-year to 14.91 million units, mainly due to a shortage of semiconductors and other component supplies that impacted production until around late summer. Total software sales declined 4.0% year-on-year to 172.11 million units, affected to some extent by the decline in hardware sales.

Turning to the digital business for our dedicated video game platform, sales of downloadable versions of packaged software for Nintendo Switch performed well, and revenue related to Nintendo Switch Online increased, helping to push digital sales to 310.0 billion yen, up 21.5% year-on-year.

For the mobile and IP-related business, royalty income was stable but income from smart-device content declined, with the result that overall sales declined 2.3% year-on-year to 38.9 billion yen.

The end result is that total sales reached 1,295.1 billion yen, with overseas sales of 988.8 billion yen accounting for 76.4% of the total. Operating profit was 410.5 billion yen, ordinary profit was 482.5 billion yen, and net profit attributable to owners of parent totaled 346.2 billion yen.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/230207e.pdf
congrats to Bayonetta 3.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
Pokemon always puts up very strong numbers, no surprises there and great success for them. But some of the other drops look worst than Xbox's even if in absolute terms they're clearly still higher in unit sales, revenue and net profits.

I don't know if Switch was necessarily supply-constrained especially towards the last parts of 2022 so, the hardware drops may be the final signal to move on with the Switch 2. Although the technical performance of some exclusives would also strongly suggest this.

I'd say Sony is the only one of the three who seems balanced enough to be doing well making gains in all areas. Nintendo's main issue is aging hardware and maybe some lack of available 3P software, but both of those can be easily remedied with a Switch 2. Microsoft's problems are more pronounced, as they have capable hardware that's also relatively new, but declining demand in even their strongest markets let alone ROTW, and that's considering big Series S pricing discounts over the holidays. They can only really solve their problems with long-term strings of big, mass-market appealing AAA and AA games and deconditioning whatever effect Game Pass has had on Day 1 buying habits for people in the ecosystem.

Both of which will take a lot of time and effort to fix.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Huh i thought bayo 3 would sell way higher
Same. Especially with the big controversy around release.

I guess it's a niche franchise no matter what. My copy is still sealed.

Switch is on track to sell PS2 numbers by next year 😳

Reactions: Bryank75
P

peter42O

Nintendo is a mother fucking juggernaut. They should definitely acquire Platinum Games. Would be such a perfect fit for both parties. 3rd best all time selling console of all time. Congratulations to Nintendo!!! Really hoping the Super Switch Entertainment System is something they don't screw up.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Huh i thought bayo 3 would sell way higher
You should check out lifetime sales of the previous two plus their Switch rerelease. It might get to 2 million with a long tail, which is about what we should all expect.

Anyways, IMO the real hero here is Kirby. Big numbers showed up for his big, ambitious game, Nintendo/HAL should do more of those.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nah, it's already better than the previous Bayonetta releases and they were better games than B3.

I don’t think one million is that great. 20 years ago that number meant massive success. On switch tho? That’s pretty good based on relative cost of production anyway. Bayonetta was undoubtedly cheap to make.

Look at what switch did for Metroid Dread compared to the lifetime sales of either Super Metroid and Prime 1. Dread obliterated those numbers.

I like dread and I’m happy to see it but Switch games have a rocket on their back compared to their predecessors irregardless of critical reception and quality.

The smartest thing Nintendo has done in the last few decades is unify their dev pipeline.

Quitting the home console scene was the right move.

• brain

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
On par with their previous handhelds…

Or are we pretending switch is a home console? Never. It’s not. It’s a gameboy
I've played maybe three hours undocked in the past three years, hundreds of hours docked with a pro controller. A handheld it isn't except for the under-performing Lite. Also: doesn't fit in pocket.

I think calling it a hybrid as a totally new category is smart and that is, indeed, what everyone's been doing for the past six years.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don’t think one million is that great. 20 years ago that number meant massive success. On switch tho? That’s pretty good based on relative cost of production anyway. Bayonetta was undoubtedly cheap to make.

Look at what switch did for Metroid Dread compared to the lifetime sales of either Super Metroid and Prime 1. Dread obliterated those numbers.

I like dread and I’m happy to see it but Switch games have a rocket on their back compared to their predecessors irregardless of critical reception and quality.

The smartest thing Nintendo has done in the last few decades is unify their dev pipeline.

Quitting the home console scene was the right move.
As I remember B1 and B2 sold between 1 and 2 million LTD, later a bit more with additional ports.

Bayonetta was released in 2009 and Bayonetta 2 in 2014, and these sales were somewhat ok for the genre, even if under like others from the genre like Devil May Cry and specially God of War, which now are selling on PS better than ever before.

Maybe the Switch audience is not interested on this genre or in these non Nintendo IPs.

Metroid Dread, unlike Bayonetta, it's a Nintendo IP. So Nintendo fans buy it. Also, Dread was a great Metroidvania game, a genre pretty popular now, while Bayonetta was the worst one in the series of a genre that outside GoW and DMC isn't pretty popular, specially in Switch.

I think that considering everything 1M sales for Bayonetta 3 debut is positive considering the context of its release. I also think that a multiplatform release would have helped to have way better sales.

I've played maybe three hours undocked in the past three years, hundreds of hours docked with a pro controller. A handheld it isn't except for the under-performing Lite. Also: doesn't fit in pocket.

I think calling it a hybrid as a totally new category is smart and that is, indeed, what everyone's been doing for the past six years.
Well, it works both as a home console and as a portable, so I think it's correct to consider as product it both things and also a hybrid.

Even if as home console it's underpowered because tech wise it's primarly a portable that can be connected to a tv, so its horsepower can't be too crazy to avoid too short battery times or too high pricing.

Last edited:
  • brain

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Metroid Dread, unlike Bayonetta, it's a Nintendo IP. So Nintendo fans buy it. Also, Dread was a great Metroidvania game, a genre pretty popular now, while Bayonetta was the worst one in the series of a genre that outside GoW and DMC isn't pretty popular, specially in Switch.

Platinum style best em ups are definitely out of fashion. I mean DMC still does well but we don’t see them like we used to industrywide. And the added eccentricities to these games kinda makes them further niche and zany compared to their contemporaries.

I don’t know what to think of platinum anymore. It’s seems that their projects working with Nintendo is the only good that comes from them these days.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
By that definition, the Steam Deck isn't a handheld either. :ROFLMAO:
It isn't. I couldn't imagine taking one out of the house with me, keeping it in my locker at work or playing it at lunch at school.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Since they have a model that can't be docked, in my opinion that solidified that I couldn't call it a home console.
They have a dockable version.... but that still doesn't make it a home console to me.

My son plays his Switch every day in the car.... Cuphead, he was telling me he only has one level left to do on pacifist now. Whatever that means!

But these are fantastic numbers all the same. I used to be big into Pokemon 20 years ago or so.... great games, for sure. They have a very entertaining and engrossing formula.

I agree that Platinum would be a good fit with Nintendo but they need to just focus on making one game, the B team isn't really working out.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I even liked Madworld quite a bit. Would definitely play it again with just a simple high res port. I loved it honestly but i found it hard to read visually because it was all black and white… Higher resolutions and frame rates would kinda fix that completely.

Platinum was definitely something to be optimistic about when they were first formed. Now they’re kinda rebuilding it all over again. All the licensed stuff and Babylon’s Fall has kinda ruined their rep.

Hopefully they continue the partnerships that have worked and what has worked. I don’t think they should do online games. They don’t have experience with it.