Nintendo is suing Palworld (Update: Palworld will fight back)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Update:

4PyhBDM.png

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I hope Nintendo loses. They got caught being lazy and got their lunch taken by a competitor. Do better with your own games.

Depends what they found really. PocketPair has made enough money from the game that they can afford a pretty good legal team, so I suspect that Nintendo probably thinks they've got a good argument.
It is also possible that because PocketPair is Japanese, it's easier to sue and win for patent infringement?

Reactions: Bryank75

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
That was the most obvious copy ever but they waited way too long. Pocketpair are billionaires at this point. They can fight whatever Nintendo throws at them.

Not quite billionaires actually, but yes, they've got hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank.
They can still lose the case depending on what Nintendo found.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
11 Jul 2024
That was the most obvious copy ever but they waited way too long. Pocketpair are billionaires at this point. They can fight whatever Nintendo throws at them.

Rumour is the PS5 version will be announced next week. What will happen to that. It's like Nintendo had no issues when the game was Xbox exclusive 😬

Nintendo be like
Palworld on a console that doesn't move units: I sleep
Palworld coming to PS: REAL SHIT?!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I wonder what the patents are. It can't be the creature designs, that would be a trademark violation. Maybe the types being weak to eachother? But, like, thats everywhere. SMT has been doing that since the 80s, hasn't it?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I wonder what the patents are. It can't be the creature designs, that would be a trademark violation. Maybe the types being weak to eachother? But, like, thats everywhere. SMT has been doing that since the 80s, hasn't it?

Yeah, this being about patent infringement makes this super exciting all of a sudden.
Like, what are they cooking over there?

24 Jun 2022
I hope Nintendo loses. They got caught being lazy and got their lunch taken by a competitor. Do better with your own games.

Nah they gonna win. Palworld devs literally ripped Pokemon character models/assets from official games, made like 1% changes, then slapped them into Palworld.

There was a Twitter thread that showed the shocking similarity in character model geometry for a few of the characters between both games. I imagine that's what's lead to this lawsuit.

Most likely, the two sides will settle out of court, but it does make Sony in particular look a bit foolish going into the joint partnership thing knowing this legal grey area was hanging in the background. Sure, the allure of their own Pokemon was too strong to resist, but there are safe ways to do it (Yu Gi Oh, Digimon etc.), and then there's...well there's how Palworld did it 🤣

Wonder if Nintendo also went against digimon and monster rancher back on the day.

Did either of those have games where they potentially ripped Pokemon models wholesale, changed a few polygons & textures, then called it a day? I don't remember that ever happening.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
It being patent infringement is...curious. What's the patents? A gameplay mechanic, like capturing a monster in a spherical ball perhaps? And why wait nearly a year later to do this?
Whatever it is, I hope Nintendo loses. A lot of Nintendo patents are for really stupid things like a method of characters turning to face towards interesting objects or characters moving with objects they are standing on. I dislike restrictions on creativity, generally

Edit:
I also thought Palworld was fun so I'd hate to see it go. It still suffers a lot of the same grindy problems other survival craft games like Rust and Valheim have, and before even getting everything I felt like I had seen everything the game had to offer. Yet, it was a fun little distraction. I like chucking balls at things and catching them. I think the bug where you can capture tower bosses was cool. The building parts of these games is always kinda fun. I think being able to capture human enemies is funny and its fun that the game lets you be a little evil and sadistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zzero

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Nah they gonna win. Palworld devs literally ripped Pokemon character models/assets from official games, made like 1% changes, then slapped them into Palworld.

There was a Twitter thread that showed the shocking similarity in character model geometry for a few of the characters between both games. I imagine that's what's lead to this lawsuit.

Most likely, the two sides will settle out of court, but it does make Sony in particular look a bit foolish going into the joint partnership thing knowing this legal grey area was hanging in the background. Sure, the allure of their own Pokemon was too strong to resist, but there are safe ways to do it (Yu Gi Oh, Digimon etc.), and then there's...well there's how Palworld did it 🤣

Did either of those have games where they potentially ripped Pokemon models wholesale, changed a few polygons & textures, then called it a day? I don't remember that ever happening.
That dude admitted he doctored the pictures btw