Nintendo says Switch performance is not an issue, but they continue to work with developers to make things easier

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Nintendo says the Switch’s performance is not lackingSays as a game software developer

“our job is to figure out how to create a fun game within these constraints” and that “some interesting content are created as a result of accommodating the limitations

Fz3XwGcaAAAFlyt

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Switch has been so successful that they're scared to move on and fail. Will they break their success/fail/success/fail streak ???

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They should keep it through 2025. That's the only way switch 2 provides a reasonable leap in performance at a decent price point.

Game wise the switch is still strong. Last direct was fire. Some price drop in 2024 and the thing will keep selling like hotcakes until it reaches PS2 numbers.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I guess the question is how much major 3rd party support matters to them. We're at a point where you can't credibly downscale any AAA PS5 game to run on Switch. Nintendo can absolutely continue making good games at this spec, and Switch is capable enough to play most indie games perfectly fine. But most 3rd parties are not going to want to make games specifically targeting the Switch anymore. Stuff like the Batman and Metal Gear compilations are as good as its gonna get.

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
Nintendo Switch is still kicking ass in its 7th year on the market. There's no point for Nintendo to release a successor anytime soon.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Brady Bunch K GIF

If that's their attitude i won't buy a switch 2 and will play the games on pc. Fuck off with that.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
ToTK at 20fps was a creative decision too? They need to stop hanging out with Phil.

(I think ToTK is amazing even at 20fps)

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
They should keep it through 2025. That's the only way switch 2 provides a reasonable leap in performance at a decent price point.

Game wise the switch is still strong. Last direct was fire. Some price drop in 2024 and the thing will keep selling like hotcakes until it reaches PS2 numbers.

They run the risk of losing momentum pretty quickly, especially when these current gen consoles start getting more price drops and bigger 3rd party and current gen games.

I feel Nintendo got a bit of an extension due to covid and how long cross gen lasted but eventually a new monster hunter will need to release, a new dragon quest, and persona, all these japanese 3rd party games are not going to be releasing on switch in 2024

This is actually a problem of Nintendo suffering from success. They don’t want to cut off their very successful console that is still selling well, kinda of like GTAV. All that can change very fast though

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They run the risk of losing momentum pretty quickly, especially when these current gen consoles start getting more price drops
In the US at least, Xbox is actually more likely to raise its price rather than lower it. Switch also has decent odds of getting Dragon Quest too. Other than that I agree with a lot of what you are selling.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Switch has been so successful that they're scared to move on and fail. Will they break their success/fail/success/fail streak ???
How can they fail?

A more performant Switch, say PS4 level if that's not too much to hope for, would net them more 3rd party support by virtue of stronger hardware.

They have their own IP and the portability aspect going for them already. I believe the prevailing wisdom is they'll also embrace a redone account system and do more with older gen titles via Nintendo Online/Classics, whatever they call it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How can they fail?

A more performant Switch, say PS4 level if that's not too much to hope for, would net them more 3rd party support by virtue of stronger hardware.

They have their own IP and the portability aspect going for them already. I believe the prevailing wisdom is they'll also embrace a redone account system and do more with older gen titles via Nintendo Online/Classics, whatever they call it.
PS4 level is ok now that there are still some 3rd party crossgen games and that next gen only games still aren't really pushing the next gen hardware.

But in a few years from now, if they want to have a good 3rd party support from the big guys they better aim for something closer to SteamDeck and Series S.

But yes, as usual they won't care a lot about 3rd parties because most of the game sales on their platform will continue being 1st party. And in terms of being the portable to play 'big 3rd parties' as PSP, Vita and Switch were, I think regarding 3rd party catalog Switch 2 won't be able to fight against Steamdeck, so I think Nintendo won't focus too much on 3rd party so pretty likely will go for a more PS4-like approach to reduce costs and focus it more on 1st party + indies.

I think that even if PC handhelds will eat part of the portable gaming market share and that if PS5 will perform better than PS4, they will succeed with Switch 2 even if not a the same levels than Switch 1.

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
This is the company that went from the Wii to the Wii U
Wii to WiiU transition was doomed from the start after Nintendo failed to identify the platform shift of casual audiences from Wii to smartphone and continued to release a console catered to that group. Skyword Sword sales result was one of many signs of that after selling only 3.8 million units in 2011.

Nintendo Switch, on the other hand, is still strong in term of sales despite in its 7th year on the market. Zelda TOTK sold 13 million units in 3 days should be a clear indicator that the core userbase is still active and ready to support new releases. A far cry from Wii's situation in 2011 where they were struggling because of the system main audiences(casual and soccer mom) had already abandoned the system for smartphone gaming.

Nintendo is likely to be the most profitable gaming company amongst console manufacturers in this FY after four years in row of accomplishing that feats.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
This is the company that went from the Wii to the Wii U
Looking at the burgeoning PC handheld scene at the moment, and how switch is essentially a revised/more feature proof Wii U iteration/evolution, I wouldn't count out a Nintendo backed by better 3rd party support personally?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nintendo has learned to live with getting zero AAA third party titles since the N64.

This is just Nintendo usual bullshit. The same way the called 3ds a third pillar or the switch a home console. Lies.

Switch was underpowered and a rip off the day it launched.

They do what they want and if it makes them money they’re gonna milk it to death.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Switch successor should have Steam Deck like performance and that would be enougth to guarantee decent ports of most games at 720p internal resolution. No need to do anything crazy this time and it's worth delaying an extra year to get better hardware since the Switch is still selling so much.

Adaptive triggers and improved haptics would be nice as well.

Switch 2 with good hardware getting AAA third party ports would sell 150m+ and I would get one.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Switch successor should have Steam Deck like performance and that would be enougth to guarantee decent ports of most games at 720p internal resolution. No need to do anything crazy this time and it's worth delaying an extra year to get better hardware since the Switch is still selling so much.

Adaptive triggers and improved haptics would be nice as well.

Switch 2 with good hardware getting AAA third party ports would sell 150m+ and I would get one.
Nintendo absolutely cannot put in "good" hardware while retaining portability+joycons+battery life+sub $400 launch price+out of the box profitability. And they aren't going to give any of that other stuff up.