Nintendo sue creators of emulator "Yuzu".

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
This is actually really bad. Emulators are one of the few ways o have game preservation when gaming companies doesn't give a crap.
I always laugh at this argument. People say "preservation" but what they are really preserving is ease of access at low cost. There's a strong legal argument, in the US at least, that emulators like this are legal but there's really not a strong moral argument.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
How deranged are you to defend Nintendo on stuffs like this.

By the way these guys run like yakuza, it has been like more than 10 years since they paid web providers and ISP to actively scan data pipeline to find their IPs in files to strike first in Japan.

All you have to do is download some JPEG files including keyword like Mario, Pokemon, they will sent you a warning email.

If you download a torrent file or ROM file without a proper VPN, basically you are screwed, ready for civil charges. Fucking insanity, cartel level of operations

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
On these matters, I just say that I don't have the knowledge to know anything and I leave it to folks who are much more knowledgeable about these things.

If you download a torrent file or ROM file without a proper VPN, basically you are screwed, ready for civil charges. Fucking insanity.

I love your rant and then looking at your avatar, very good thematically.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They are helping Nintendo by making their games available on PC, meanwhile Sony actually has to spend a lot of money and devtime making their own ports. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe that is why Nintendo is so profitable, PC sales of their games.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
I always laugh at this argument. People say "preservation" but what they are really preserving is ease of access at low cost. There's a strong legal argument, in the US at least, that emulators like this are legal but there's really not a strong moral argument.

90% of people who use emulators, use it for piracy.

It's still the best way of gaming preservation, otherwise you would be paying hundreds-thousands of dollars to try games that arent available anymore, and some would be lost to time.

Reactions: Evilms

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Defending emulators of modern systems like switch or even ps4 on PC is basically solely in the interest of piracy. People aren't stupid and clearly Nintendo's lawyers aren't stupid to believe the silly "preservation" argument.

What are you preserving? the console is available to buy and preserve right now. it's solely for piracy period.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Defending emulators of modern systems like switch or even ps4 on PC is basically solely in the interest of piracy. People aren't stupid and clearly Nintendo's lawyers aren't stupid to believe the silly "preservation" argument.

What are you preserving? the console is available to buy and preserve right now. it's solely for piracy period.
It can have limited uses for game development, save back-ups and editing and the like. Even if only a few people use it for those purposes that is enough to keep it legal in the US.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

I mean they are striking the old games too to be fair.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I support Nintendo in this endevour. Fact of the matter is that Nintendo software, made exclusively to push and sell Nintendo hardware, and that being the sole incentive of the product's creation is being played and consumed on a hardware platform that rivals Nintendo's own, without its permission, without adding anything to Nintendo's coffers, defeating the whole purpose and intent of the investment.

Should the end goal be for Nintendo to not make any games, thus no harm no foul? or drop out from the business completely? Or, support a rival hardware platform (PC) because of some strange entitlement, or blackmail by some folks with PC hardware and the ability to emulate Nintendo hardware via software?

It's a destructive practice, more so when it's current gen if you will, as opposed to the wiggle room, "free pass", of not caring enough for old gens.

The fact of the matter is that there are winners and losers in this. Nintendo is the loser, and the MS-led business consortium is the winner. PC hardware is not made out of thin air. It's a product with companies making a profit for selling said hardware, and the OSes that run with it (the ecosystem as a whole). Nobody is a damn fool....no Poncious Pilates either.

Going after the creators to create a lawyer bill that applies some financial pain as well as scare the creators off is the least they could do considering the game, big picture wise is rigged against consoles.

Last edited:
Reactions: laynelane and Box

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I mean they are striking the old games too to be fair.
No reason to be fair to pirates. nintendo is suing yuzu for the damages precisely caused by them profiting through their patreon off of BOTW, a modern game being leaked and played early illegally.

If they don't nip them in the bud now then there's no telling what damage a yuzu emulator for the switch 2 could do, especially since pc gaming is only growing.

• Informative
Reactions: Box and Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It's still the best way of gaming preservation, otherwise you would be paying hundreds-thousands of dollars to try games that arent available anymore, and some would be lost to time.
Hundreds of dollars? Plenty of games cost 80 dollars new. Like I said, thats not "preserving" a game, thats would-be users not wanting to pay for their access. 99 percent of game pirates are jumping on the good will of film preservationists who 100 percent are actually fighting to preserve the existence of otherwise lost works and 100 percent do charge for (or entirely block off) access to those works.

Reactions: Box

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Nintendo is like 5 years too late....

90%? Probably more like 99.99%, the number of people that dump their own games is close to 0.

It's crazy how well Nintendo does despite being the most exposed to piracy both on the Switch itself and PC.
I had a bunch of Switch games installed on my PC, with upscaled 4k and 60fps, but I just never had any desire to play or beat them. I bought all those games physically and beat them at much worse resolution/fps.