Nintendo Switch 2 Hardware Speculation

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's incredibly comfortable, it's like holding an actual controller. Also anyone who thinks the button and thumbstick layout would be uncomfortable hasn't used one haha.
Need to get myself one. How does it fair on games that aren't usually controller friendly, if you've tested? I'm thinking stuff like football manager, oxygen not included, crusader kings, etc.

24 Jun 2022
It's incredibly comfortable, it's like holding an actual controller. Also anyone who thinks the button and thumbstick layout would be uncomfortable hasn't used one haha.

How's the durability on the buttons, triggers, haptic trackpad etc. with heavy usage? I heard the Steam controllers were kind of garbage in this respect.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

How's the durability on the buttons, triggers, haptic trackpad etc. with heavy usage? I heard the Steam controllers were kind of garbage in this respect.
Very high quality. I feel the weight and the entire device just screams polish. The Steam controllers were garbage but this one is equivalent to an Xbox controller. I've not used my main computer for a week now settling for my Deck instead.

24 Jun 2022
Not a single issue, it's been incredibly solid.

Good to hear.

Very high quality. I feel the weight and the entire device just screams polish. The Steam controllers were garbage but this one is equivalent to an Xbox controller. I've not used my main computer for a week now settling for my Deck instead.

Just from looking at it, Steam Deck definitely seems like it has some heft to it, but it looks well-spread out and the handles make it look pretty comfortable to hold for longer use.

Do you have the dock for it (is it available yet)? Curious how that functions. Also just slightly curious about emulation performance, tho I already have something for that and have been considering delving into a MiSTER or Analogue FPGA for emulation (particularly for systems like Saturn, PC-98, PC-FX, 3DO etc.)

Probably. Especially with the chip situation the way it is.... splitting production between 2 models might not be on the cards for a while.
Good point though!

This is definitely a factor why they'll probably wait a while, plus by 2024 that'll have been 7 years which seems like the typical console gen length now. Also it might time well with mid-gen PS5 Pro or Series refreshes (if there are any...I think at least slim models might be available then).

But it kind of sucks tho; a handful of Switch games I'm itching to play but I can't justify buying the current iteration to play them. I'll just use a family member's Switch Lite if I really need to in the interim.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Good to hear.

Just from looking at it, Steam Deck definitely seems like it has some heft to it, but it looks well-spread out and the handles make it look pretty comfortable to hold for longer use.

Do you have the dock for it (is it available yet)? Curious how that functions. Also just slightly curious about emulation performance, tho I already have something for that and have been considering delving into a MiSTER or Analogue FPGA for emulation (particularly for systems like Saturn, PC-98, PC-FX, 3DO etc.)

This is definitely a factor why they'll probably wait a while, plus by 2024 that'll have been 7 years which seems like the typical console gen length now. Also it might time well with mid-gen PS5 Pro or Series refreshes (if there are any...I think at least slim models might be available then).

But it kind of sucks tho; a handful of Switch games I'm itching to play but I can't justify buying the current iteration to play them. I'll just use a family member's Switch Lite if I really need to in the interim.

Yeah I know how you feel... I sold my 'New' Switch when I got the feeling a new one was coming last year.....
I got what I paid for it but I also got the timing wayyyyy off.

I guess I just have to wait now, I have too much to play anyway as it stands.

24 Jun 2022
Yeah I know how you feel... I sold my 'New' Switch when I got the feeling a new one was coming last year.....
I got what I paid for it but I also got the timing wayyyyy off.

I guess I just have to wait now, I have too much to play anyway as it stands.

Same; no shortage of games for me to either catch up on or play on the horizon. Kids don't understand the value of time; it's easily the most valuable resource in the world because you can't make more of it and can't get a refund 🤣

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Same; no shortage of games for me to either catch up on or play on the horizon. Kids don't understand the value of time; it's easily the most valuable resource in the world because you can't make more of it and can't get a refund 🤣

Big facts and I'd rather play a game once through that I'll remember forever than waste my time running round in circles doing busy work in a 'make your own fun' game.... or anything that disrespects my time basically.

24 Jun 2022
Big facts and I'd rather play a game once through that I'll remember forever than waste my time running round in circles doing busy work in a 'make your own fun' game.... or anything that disrespects my time basically.

The only kind of games in terms of the bolded I'd make time for are those which are very pick-up-and-play, can get a lot out of in short bursts style. Basically, stuff like fighting games or shmups, but arguably those are purely for the gameplay, not really the story or experience (in terms of losing yourself in a fictional world).

That said, I wouldn't mind spending a lot of time making up my own stuff in something like Dreams, I really aught to pick it up at some point, I just hope using regular non-VR controls isn't cumbersome (would prefer mouse & keyboard for that type of thing tho tbh).

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The only kind of games in terms of the bolded I'd make time for are those which are very pick-up-and-play, can get a lot out of in short bursts style. Basically, stuff like fighting games or shmups, but arguably those are purely for the gameplay, not really the story or experience (in terms of losing yourself in a fictional world).

That said, I wouldn't mind spending a lot of time making up my own stuff in something like Dreams, I really aught to pick it up at some point, I just hope using regular non-VR controls isn't cumbersome (would prefer mouse & keyboard for that type of thing tho tbh).

Minecraft and LBP and some other games can be great too but I just don't like games where it's obviously thrown in as busy work.... or because they can't think of anything else to do.

Even NMS had a lot of busy work and I tolerated it for quite a while before I got bored.

I guess it just depends how authentic and natural it all feels to the game. I can be a bit extreme sounding at times and maybe it doesn;t reflect clearly my true feelings.

24 Jun 2022
Minecraft and LBP and some other games can be great too but I just don't like games where it's obviously thrown in as busy work.... or because they can't think of anything else to do.

Even NMS had a lot of busy work and I tolerated it for quite a while before I got bored.

I guess it just depends how authentic and natural it all feels to the game. I can be a bit extreme sounding at times and maybe it doesn;t reflect clearly my true feelings.

I understand where you're coming from; in something like Dreams the busywork makes sense because the game's concept is built on being a creation tool, and you can't create without doing a bit of work. But other games seem like they want to overcomplicate certain mechanics, like item crafting, and it turns into busywork unintentionally, slowing down the flow of the game, especially when that stuff is mandatory.

But I guess getting back to Switch 2 speculation, any thoughts on other hardware aspects, like if it'll be backwards-compatible with Joycon controllers? Do you think they'll make something with swappable controller portions or even bring Amiibos back in some prominent way (I still think the concept has some potential)?