Nintendo Switch 2 Hardware Speculation

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

Yeah but Nintendo has a way of not even meeting lowered expectations. So to hope for something halfway decent for the Switch 2 .... :p
I'll give you that. Nintendo is in their own space and whatever they make will be stable and people will buy the games. I still need to get rid of my Switch 1.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This happens every new generation. People reach for the stars with the next hardware in hopes that they'll get that huge jump in hardware. It never happens.

Which is why I said this

Not too sure about the specs, but if Nintendo is to continue their partnership with Nvidia, they could use something like the Jetson Orin NX APU which is to be released this year, afaik. This would allow them for a machine that could support up to 16GB Ram with an 8-Core CPU and up to 4TFlop GPU (not that that matters much). The TDP is between 10 to 25w on the stock version, which is in the same ballpark as the original switch.

As for additional specs, I think at least 64GB of expandable storage are required, and they should keep the OLED display at 7-inch, but bump it to 1080p. It should have at the very least 8GB of RAM, with 16GB being ideal.

It's imperative to include backwards compatibility - if it can run previous gen games at full 1080p + 1440p in docked mode it would be perfect.

Let's compare the hardware on the switch with the one I suggested

Switch (Based on the Tegra X1 which released in 2015)
  • Tegra X1
  • ARM 4 Cortex-A57 cores @ 1.02 GHz
  • 4 GB LPDDR4
  • 256 Maxwell-based CUDA cores @ 307.2–768 MHz
Jetson Orin NX (available in Q4 this year)
  • Cortex-A78AE (Hercules) 8 cores
  • 16 GB LPDDR5
  • 1024 CUDA cores @ up to 918 MHz
Alternatively, rumors suggest the Switch 2 may be Xavier based. In that case, my bet would be the NX (15W) in the following configuration
  • Nvidia custom Carmel ARM 4 or 6 cores @ up to 1.4 GHz
  • 8 GB LPDDR4X
  • 384 CUDA core @ up to 1100 Mhz
The Jetson may make sense due to TDP and being a generational leap, but the NX would fit a switch 2 like a glove. They don't even need to downclock that much as it's efficient as hell.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 13