Nintendo updates sales data Zelda ToTK over 19 million units sold

23 Sep 2023
Do you mean 1st person walking simulator in dark rooms with a stiff plastic hand holding a flash light? Aren't these PC games?
No, you're thinking of Capcom. We have genre defining games like Baldur's Gate., while also being subjected to Console Devs looking to cash in with shitty PC ports that are broken and don't work.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It had great sales so far, but it's suprising most of them were before and this quarter sold "only" a bit under a million.

Reactions: Diah

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Its not a 1:1 situation between nintendo and sony even if they did price their games like them and keep them exclusively on playstaiton.
Sony is competing with and curating 3rd party games on their platform, games which outsell their first party games and are priced competitively with theirs.

No one is buying a nintendo for 2k, COD, Madden, GTA etc. so those 3rd party publisher prices don’t really effect Nintendo. They have their own platform monopoly where they can price games however they want. Playstation is the default 3rd party platform and its where they make most of their money so they have to price their first party competively with EA, Ubi, Take Two, etc.

After a while God of War selling for 20 dollars or being bundled doesn’t really make money or sell hardware anymore. Its not like GOW 2018 is still being sold for 60 dollars like Zelda and Mario games, and i dont think anyone would buy it if it were priced that way. Its just completely different markets.

Nintendo is a first party machine, sony will never get there and theres no reason for them to want to

It might not sell hardware on it's own but when you put it as part of a library that is constantly building... GOW 2018, Spider-man, Miles, Returnal, R&C etc etc... the cumulative would certainly sell consoles IMO... but that effect has been totally demolished by the PC ports strategy, the momentum is not allowed to build through the generation.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It might not sell hardware on it's own but when you put it as part of a library that is constantly building... GOW 2018, Spider-man, Miles, Returnal, R&C etc etc... the cumulative would certainly sell consoles IMO... but that effect has been totally demolished by the PC ports strategy, the momentum is not allowed to build through the generation.

Being able to play those games for practically free on playstation vs spending 50+ dollars on them on steam still make it a better value proposition on playstation.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Being able to play those games for practically free on playstation vs spending 50+ dollars on them on steam still make it a better value proposition on playstation.

Maybe but I'm just talking about selling consoles... which isn't an issue now but might be down the line.

I get what you're saying though.

24 Jun 2022
Definitely seems like TOTK was a heavily frontloaded release from Nintendo and while still evergreen, it's "evergreen" in a lesser way than many probably would have suspected. So, it's sales momentum more closely matches other AAA releases; that could be an exception or be a rule.

Reactions: Diah

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Zelda BOTW price history
IMG-20231107-225249.jpg

GOW 2018 price history
IMG-20231107-225339.jpg
You're being facetious and corny as usual but this just shows that Sony is a sensible company that gets way too much hate when they're by far the most "consumer friendly" company.
Nintendo has the best Gameplay on consoles. Sony has the most Hype.
How does this lie continue to perpetuate? 😂 This is one of those "if we say it enough, people will believe it" lines. Nintendo gameplay is overrated by 40 year old nostalgia addicted manchildren. TOTK is the only Nintendo game with outstanding gameplay

Definitely seems like TOTK was a heavily frontloaded release from Nintendo and while still evergreen, it's "evergreen" in a lesser way than many probably would have suspected. So, it's sales momentum more closely matches other AAA releases; that could be an exception or be a rule.
A lot of people really believed it would be at 25m by now. Still great numbers but people gotta chill.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Good success story.

Nintendo has a new gen of followers after the N64-Gamecube disaster destroyed the Nintendo/SNES legacy. The hyper competitive Wii/Xbox 360/PS3 era split the masses and that success ended with the Wii U flop so it wasn't carried through.

Get them young as they say. We'll see if the Switch 2 can carryover that gen of kids.

Great for console health long-term as always. It's the house of blue that has an identity problem with this current leadership - never a good thing for a brand.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
No one is exclusively a switch owner under the age of 15. It’s a supplementary device and well known that most have a primary home console be it PlayStation, Xbox or pc. So it does indeed face competition; especially from similar fantasy adventures like Elden Ring (which I consider the true generational sequel to botw).

I say this even as someone who think switch is completely irrelevant to most discussions because it’s a gameboy. Unit sales still mean a lot because consumers only buy so much and limited hours to spend on which games they do. What Zelda does definitely matters.

Considering the competition this year and non stop series of AAA tentpole releases starting with Zelda, Diablo, street fighter, Starfield, bg3 etc… into Spider-Man. To sell 20 million in a single year; especially this one with global populations facing crippling inflation. I dunno… these numbers are amazing 🤣
I think we had this discussion before, like a year or so ago. What you are saying in regards to Switches just being a supplement is literally impossible, they are far too high a portion of the marketplace. Even if you factor in last gen sales, there's not exactly a lot of people who own a PS5/Series that didn't also own a 4 or One. But then you also consider Elden Ring the true sequel to BotW and think Switch is "irrelevant" so its no surprise that you would be suprised by the strong tail that stuff like Switch Sports or Smash Bros. has.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think we had this discussion before, like a year or so ago. What you are saying in regards to Switches just being a supplement is literally impossible, they are far too high a portion of the marketplace. Even if you factor in last gen sales, there's not exactly a lot of people who own a PS5/Series that didn't also own a 4 or One. But then you also consider Elden Ring the true sequel to BotW and think Switch is "irrelevant" so its no surprise that you would be suprised by the strong tail that stuff like Switch Sports or Smash Bros. has.

Parents by a switch for every kid in the house 🤣

And no I’ve never been surprised by the strength of their rehashes despite being 3 generations behind.

100% GAMEBOY

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Can Sony get Nintendo to make them a Kart Racers and a Brawler in exchange 😆