Nintendo VS Sony - Who has more Complex Stories/Lore

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Decided to create this thread because a fellow poster claims Nintendo games have more complex stories and lore than Sony.

Games like Pokemon and Zelda for example have more lore and complexity than Sony games.

We hear the same for SoulsBorne games. That they have great lore when in reality they have average storylines and the rest is the brainchild of gamers imaginations.

That made up bullshit/Filling plot holes = Lore

On the other hand, Sony games lack lore and complexity because they are Hollywood Blockbusters.

To put it simply cause Sony games have actual storylines they lack lore/complexity cause you can’t make shit up.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Maybe its what they prefer, we dont have to argue on everything with people when it comes to PS lol.

Zelda has a good Story, games like Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun.
Pokemon and Metroid for the fans etc.
But stuff like Pikmin, Luigi’s Mansion, Mario, DK etc are just super simple and thats fine.

PS has stuff like God of War with multiple entries that has lore and great story per game and continuation. Even the PSP games had a great story. Horizon surprising has a great lore but I didnt care for the main story enough or the characters. TLOU has backstory and a whole world going on which I love

But games like Ghosts of Tsushima, Uncharted etc are simple movie like stories but done really well. The way Uncharted is done from U2 onwards was very new and special. With the very best voice acting, animations and playable action scenes that didnt stop the story rolling.

I enjoy them all tbh for what they are.

People seem to hate on the way certain games tell there stories because its not there preferred way.
Whether its through cut scenes like RE, Final Fantasy, MGS. Walking+Cutscenes, playable scenes segments like Uncharted, TLOU, Tomb Raider.
Text and conversations with NPC’s etc, Elder Scrolls/WRPG. Or ones that mix up text/conversations with cut scenes like Final Fantasy, Yakuza etc.
Or more item based like Metroid Prime, Souls games

Either way people are wrong to complain about the way other styles do it.

For example, people who hate and complain about “cinematic” the way Uncharted does it because you have to walk and talk, but then glorify having and to stop playing and then stand still and have a lifeless conversation with an NPC ( Yes Im talking about those Elder Scrolls and Starfield fans )

I dont agree with what people say about the Souls games lacking story though. Its just not your preferred way.
The story line is your living the outcomes of the lore or in it, or however way you want to put it. Your character is doing XYZ, and these NPCs and Bad guys are here with there storylines. There is no lack of story. Just its not told the way you like it.
Apart from a few points people don't agree on it, its mostly a conclusion of items, characters, environment and events that happen, yes you have to fill it in yourself but its not just imagination and that doesnt mean there isnt a story, theres a truth and false to it. I love it

People seem to confuse story and how its told. Uncharted had a great way of telling story, but its not any deeper than Zelda.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There is not a soul alive who thinks Nintendo games have stories worth mentioning, let alone complex ones.

Prove me wrong.

Fire Emblem, Earthbound (mother 2) have great stories. Golden Sun

Maybe you and I dont like it but games like Metroid, Pokemon, Xenoblade have its fans and they have “good” stories

Last edited:
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Maybe its what they prefer, we dont have to argue on everything with people when it comes to PS lol.

Zelda has a good Story, games like Earthbound, Fire Emblem.
Pokemon and Metroid for the fans etc.
But stuff like Pikmin, Luigi’s Mansion, Mario, DK etc are just super simple.

PS has stuff like God of War with multiple entries that has lore and great story per game and continues. Horizon surprising has a great lore but I didnt care for the main story enough or the characters. TLOU has backstory and a whole world going on.

But games like Ghosts of Tsushima, Uncharted etc are simple movie like stories but done really well. The way Uncharted is done from U2 onwards was very new and special. With the very best voice acting, animations and playable action scenes that didnt stop the story rolling.

I enjoy them all tbh for what they are.

People seem to hate on the way certain games tell there stories because its not there preferred way.
Whether its through cut scenes like RE, Final Fantasy, MGS. Walking+Cutscenes, playable scenes segments like Uncharted, TLOU, Tomb Raider.
Text and conversations with NPC’s etc, Elder Scrolls/WRPG. Or ones that mix up text/conversations with cut scenes like Final Fantasy, Yakuza etc.
Or more item based like Metroid Prime, Souls games

Either way people are wrong to complain about the way other styles do it.

For example, people who hate and complain about “cinematic” the way Uncharted does it because you have to walk and talk, but then glorify having and to stop playing and then stand still and have a lifeless conversation with an NPC ( Yes Im talking about those Elder Scrolls and Starfield fans )

I dont agree with what people say about the Souls games lacking story though. Its just not your preferred way.
The story line is your living the outcomes of the lore or in it, or however way you want to put it. Your character is doing XYZ, and these NPCs and Bad guys are here with there storylines. There is no lack of story. Just its not told the way you like it.
Apart from a few points people don't agree on it, its mostly a conclusion of items, characters, environment and events that happen, yes you have to fill it in yourself but its not just imagination and that doesnt mean there isnt a story, theres a truth and false to it. I love it

No issue with peoples personal preferences but for me it is preposterous to claim Nintendo games have more complex stories/lore than Sony games.

About the Soulsborne games. Incredible games that they are, I think Miyazaki gets more credit than he deserves in regards to story/plot/lore.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
We hear the same for SoulsBorne games. That they have great lore when in reality they have average storylines and the rest is the brainchild of gamers imaginations.

On the other hand, Sony games lack lore and complexity because they are Hollywood Blockbusters.

To put it simply cause Sony games have actual storylines they lack lore/complexity cause you can’t make shit up.
Bro..those games have amazing story..demon souls...dark souls...bloodborne..and elden ring..in particular....

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Fire Emblem,Xenoblade and the paper Mario/Mario RPG games actually have really good stories and the fact that they have many entries means they have really good lore.

Zelda has always had a very simple story, im not a big fan of the simple approach in those games

I've never really delved deeply into Metroid so I can't comment.

Sony could have better stories if we had sequels to ICO,Legand of Dragoon and Siren

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko
J

Joey Ravn

Fire Emblem,Xenoblade and the paper Mario/Mario RPG games actually have really good stories and the fact that they have many entries means they have really good lore.

Zelda has always had a very simple story, im not a big fan of the simple approach in those games

I've never really delved deeply into Metroid so I can't comment.

Sony could have better stories if we had sequels to ICO,Legand of Dragoon and Siren

Team ICO will probably never do a proper sequel to one of their games. SotC is a prequel to ICO, and TLG is tangentially related, at least spiritually. But a straight up SotC 2: Wander Returns or ICO 2: Vengeance? Nah.

• sad

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Team ICO will probably never do a proper sequel to one of their games. SotC is a prequel to ICO, and TLG is tangentially related, at least spiritually. But a straight up SotC 2: Wander Returns or ICO 2: Vengeance? Nah.
Most probably true, but Id love to see it.

I want to know what happened to Wanderer, does he get to redeem himself after unleashing the evil on the land and what happened to my beloved horse Agro lol. All reasons for an epic sequel. Give Ueda that money Sony and make it happen

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Bro..those games have amazing story..demon souls...dark souls...bloodborne..and elden ring..in particular....
Exactly.
Bloodborne character, wondering into a plagued curse land, uncovering what has and is happening, going deeper. And ending the nightmare, what else do people want lol. Its just there style of story telling, which is fine but to say it has no story… I dont get it, I love it

Reactions: Sircaw and Airbus

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Decided to create this thread because a fellow poster claims Nintendo games have more complex stories and lore than Sony.

Games like Pokemon and Zelda for example have more lore and complexity than Sony games.

I am going to take the last of us as an example here.

Going to get some pushback on this, I think, sorry @Satoru.

Here goes, eek, takes a massive gulp of Air.

I think the last of us two is a mediocre story, I actually find it run of the mill, nothing special or to get excited about.
What i do find incredible however with games like the last of us, is with there inner personal stories between characters.

The developing bonds between characters like Joel and Ellie, Riely and Ellie from the Dlc, (correct me if i got the first girls name wrong there please.)

Even the story form the last of us part 2,(the series) i know there was a lot of pushback from people on having two gay characters in it, but if you leave that aside, the inner personal story telling between those two in that episode was superbly told.

If you can hit certain emotional standpoints in a game, they are doing something well.

For example i felt nothing for Joel when he died, but Arthur Morgan from Red dead redemption, i really connected with that character and was genuinely sad, maybe upset when he died.

In context to the story, his character was unimportant to me, as i found the games story extremely long and sometimes really tedious. But his personal experience, his emotional state and how he acted towards other people really made me like him

Sorry, I'm just rambling a bit, and my spell checker is not working today.

Hope some of this makes sense.

Peace
xxxxx

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

I think the last of us two is a mediocre story, I actually find it run of the mill, nothing special or to get excited about.
What i do find incredible however with games like the last of us, is with there inner personal stories between characters.

The developing bonds between characters like Joel and Ellie, Riely and Ellie from the Dlc, (correct me if i got the first girls name wrong there please.)

Even the story form the last of us part 2,(the series) i know there was a lot of pushback from people on having two gay characters in it, but if you leave that aside, the inner personal story telling between those two in that episode was superbly told.

If you can hit certain emotional standpoints in a game, they are doing something well.

For example i felt nothing for Joel when he died, but Arthur Morgan from Red dead redemption, i really connected with that character and was genuinely sad, maybe upset when he died.

In context to the story, his character was unimportant to me, as i found the games story extremely long and sometimes really tedious. But his personal experience, his emotional state and how he acted towards other people really made me like him

Peace
xxxxx
Morgan died? fuck you fish for spoiling..

Got you 😂

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

[...]
The story itself is nothing new, however it seems to me like you're decoupling the story from the storytelling which IMO I find wrong. I don't think that one can say "this story is mediocre but the storytelling is great" because you can't have one without the other. Is the story rehashed from many other forms of media? Absolutely, I won't disagree there. But this is the same as saying that the story in Interstellar is mediocre because the whole time travel thing has been done hundreds of times, ignoring that how that story is told is what matters to making it a successful story.

Basically

Stock story that is superbly told and explored = excellent story
Innovative and well crafted story that's told as if written by a toddler = terrible story

That's how I see it myself.

I felt that way for both, and find that their personal journeys are high level very similar: They are both people that have made morally questionable choices due to the context they are inserted, and (depending on your choices in RDR2) both find some sort of redemption in the players eyes. That's their character arc resumed to it's most basic.

• brain
Reactions: Sircaw and Kokoloko
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Peace
xxxxx

Agree about TLOU2.

Joel dying instantly was suppose to create the shock factor. Didn’t do nothing for me.

The biggest issue with TLOU2 was the execution of the story.

The game was bloated and had serious pacing issues.

Uncharted 4 was similar issues to a lesser extent.

Still the story complexity is a lot more than your average Nintendo game.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Agree about TLOU2.

Joel dying instantly was suppose to create the shock factor. Didn’t do nothing for me.

The biggest issue with TLOU2 was the execution of the story.

The game was bloated and had serious pacing issues.

Uncharted 4 was similar issues to a lesser extent.

Still the story complexity is a lot more than your average Nintendo game.

I loved the game tbh.I really didnt feel the pacing issues.

And Joel dying didnt have a shock factor for me ( mostly because it was spoiled the fuck out of by everyone online) but it set up the revenge story. I liked Joel, they should of kept him for another game and let him got out another way, but I enjoyed the game so much

Maybe because Ive been playing games since before NES which some went on forever. Like most JRPGs /RPG’s that over stay there welcome at the time or Megaman X , stuff like FF6, FF4, Persona, Yakuza. You feel its coming to an end but theres another 10 horus lol. Or another last boss and another boss… Something like TLOU2 or Uncharted 4 was nothing compared to those when it came to pacing issues. I dont even get it tbh, maybe Im too simple but thats for my benefit.

Ive never heard anyone complain about pacing issues in a game till U4 came and then again in TLOU2, and then everyone started saying it, Its was like all a sudden that word was getting used but only for ND games lol

I loved that it was longer, if the game didnt have the california segment, I would of been pissed with the ending.
At the end each to there own, I loved it and loved that I got to play the games longer because the gameplay in both U4 and TLOU2 was awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sircaw
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I loved the game tbh.I really didnt feel the pacing issues.

And Joel dying didnt have a shock factor ( mostly because it was spoiled the fuck out of by everyone online) but it set up the revenge story. I liked Joel

Maybe because Ive been playing games since before NES which some went on forever. Like most JRPGs at the time or Megaman X or FF6, FF4, Persona, Yakuza. You feel its coming to an end but theres another 10 horus lol. Or another last bos and another boss… Something like TLOU2 or Uncharted 4 was nothing compared to those when it came to pacing issues.

Ive never heard anyone complain about pacing issues in a game till U4 came and then again in TLOU2, and then everyone started saying it, Its was like all a sudden that word was getting used but only for ND games lol

I loved that it was longer, if the game didnt have the california segment, I would of been pissed with the ending.

Pacing issues have existed before.

Some Metal Gear Solid games have them too.

Loved MGS1 and MGS3. Didn’t like 2 and 4.

The worst game has got to be Xenogears.