No more hard resets each new generation!

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The architecture for consoles is more or less set, there can be various improvements and efficiencies found to improve performance such as PS5's SSD solution and Nvidias DLSS... but otherwise, the core is set.

So I don't think we need or should have a hard reset for PS6 or any new console in the PlyStation line again....meaning Sony can continue to build an install base across multiple generations and gamers on a budget can buy older PS consoles cheaply but still be considered partof the active playerbase.

This is strategically and financially significant for the business.

Sony needs to consider this bigger picture and look at expanding their offering. A new Pro model should be offered every few years, controllers that resemble the dualshock and DS4 and perhaps even a modern PS3 to play games of that generation and count towards active units.

With this paradigm shift and the entire console space to play with, there is a lot to explore.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: rofif and Sircaw

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I agree! We are at a stage in my opinion where graphics are good - great no matter what. More incremental updates will be better. I'm not sure how often a viable hardware release schedule should be though? Maybe every 3 years?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan and Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Because everyone above seems to be in agreement, I am going to be a difficult bastard and Disagree.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I disagree with this, no amount of optimization or software tricks will give you the raw power of a 4090.... There's nothing wrong with resetting every 7-8 years, they just need to have plentiful stock and strong libraries ready to incentivize customers and make the transition as smooth as possible. After a certain point, power in gaming does start to yield diminishing returns, but we're not there yet!

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I don't agree. If a technology jump requires it, a hard reset is welcome. If we only have incremental improvements on current tech, then dev will start to become lazy and do the bare minimum of improvements between their games releases. Also having to support multiple iterations of a platform, maybe even of multiple platforms, would be hell for devs.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Consoles would benefit from switching to ARM (or any other RISC architecture) right now, though. Better performance per wat = lower cost. Node shrinkage is becoming more complex, slow, and expensive, so more efficient use of transistors makes economic sense.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I prefer games to use the tech of the latest console generation. So they dont get held back, the studios dont have to worry about catering to previous generations.
They can work on a past console version after release, focus all efforts on the new console. Get the maximum of the tech, make the best version of there vision with nothing holding them back.

Games like Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman 2 wouldnt work on PS4. We saw the difference with Horizon DLC and Horizon 2.

But..at the same time, I think all games should be prepared for a previous gen/ handheld version. Just not focused on it. Uncapped, 30fps modes, so they can be easily ported to a Switch 2/PSP3 etc

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab and Entropi

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Time to finish porting all the stranded PS3 titles then.

Most devs are not capable of developing a proper AAA games that displays all that the PS5 can do, most new games are still outclasses by the best PS4 games.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They will continue doing that until AMD cannot provide Sony or MS with the HW they need. Wii U was also a BC beast, like 3 consoles in 1 due to the fact it used the IBM Power PC architecture.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The architecture for consoles is more or less set, there can be various improvements and efficiencies found to improve performance such as PS5's SSD solution and Nvidias DLSS... but otherwise, the core is set.

So I don't think we need or should have a hard reset for PS6 or any new console in the PlyStation line again....meaning Sony can continue to build an install base across multiple generations and gamers on a budget can buy older PS consoles cheaply but still be considered partof the active playerbase.

This is strategically and financially significant for the business.

Sony needs to consider this bigger picture and look at expanding their offering. A new Pro model should be offered every few years, controllers that resemble the dualshock and DS4 and perhaps even a modern PS3 to play games of that generation and count towards active units.

With this paradigm shift and the entire console space to play with, there is a lot to explore.
Do you mean that you want all PS6 games to be PS5+PS6 or PS4+PS5+PS6 crossgen? I personally don't.

Do you want game budgets to get more expensive and game development to take longer because they have to adapt their games to more SKUs? I personally don't.

If hardware component costs keep increasing instead of -as did in the past- become cheaper over time, how would you decrease the PS5 price without turning it into a money pit? I personally don't see it.

Personally I'm ok with using familiar hardware to ensure BC, it's what I want them to do. And to have crossgen games during the early years of a console with the previous generation and to have crossgen games during the last years of a console with the next one. And why not, having a mid gen refresh hardware.

But I wouldn't go beyond that, other than improving emulation of previous generations to ensure a bigger BC including to use their discs.

Last edited:
  • Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If you just mean its easy to have titles automatically run on the new thing then I'd say we are already there. If you mean that we should stay with a version of the current console architecture forever then no, obviously not, that would be dumb. I've seen console bosses and other navel gazers talking about stuff similar to this for over a decade now but it just doesn't really work without turning your console into a PC and accepting that certain games are going to run like shit on your "model".

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
If you just mean its easy to have titles automatically run on the new thing then I'd say we are already there. If you mean that we should stay with a version of the current console architecture forever then no, obviously not, that would be dumb. I've seen console bosses and other navel gazers talking about stuff similar to this for over a decade now but it just doesn't really work without turning your console into a PC and accepting that certain games are going to run like shit on your "model".

If anything is going to be overwhelmingly well tested, it'll be the Playstation 6 PC.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
I’ve been saying this the hard reset died this generation and it’s honestly why Phil Spencer went on Kinda Funny saying console wars are over and they lost. Cross gen killed the console reset. Games like Fortnite are cross gen.

It’s why PS5 pro makes even more sense than PS4 pro, and why Xbox Series 360 launching early will mean nothing.

This doesn’t mean that all games will be cross gen, but all these gaas games will bridge generations and cross gen will continue to be a thing.

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Pretty much the same idea on mobile and PCs

any PC can play any game from 1980 all the way to 2024, same for mobile phones while consoles can't because they wanna be "special" and a brand new experience for devs every generation, even XSX backward compatibility doesn't cover all of x360 library, i mean they ask you to buy those titles again lol

• brain

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I hope Sony accept ARM in their consoles to create a PS6 that will really delivery.
x86 is holding a lot the industry in both performance (you can’t surpass a power limit envelop) and design (size and cooling needs to be giant).

And of course I want a hard reset with PS6.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Pretty much the same idea on mobile and PCs

any PC can play any game from 1980 all the way to 2024, same for mobile phones while consoles can't because they wanna be "special" and a brand new experience for devs every generation, even XSX backward compatibility doesn't cover all of x360 library, i mean they ask you to buy those titles again lol
PCs can't do that without running DOSbox or its Win95 equivalent. Try running, for example, Sim City 2000, and you'll be in for a disappointment. Phones are even worse, its hard to go back even ten years.