No more hard resets each new generation!

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
PCs can't do that without running DOSbox or its Win95 equivalent. Try running, for example, Sim City 2000, and you'll be in for a disappointment. Phones are even worse, its hard to go back even ten years.

you're right a DOSbox is needed to run something like SC2000

however in terms of download it click and play it's totally doable like a i just did now

53550048975_ce7dcf07f7_h.jpg

Reactions: Systemshock2023

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Strong disagree. When everything is the same there's nothing unique. No uniqueness means no rarity. No rarity means no value.

A hard reset every generation has kept the console industry alive and interesting for 3 decades. Swapping to the upgrade options similar to mobile (you cannot upgrade a console in the same way you can a PC) has led to recent slump in games and slow down in production.

Making games for difficult architecture requires skill, talent and dedication, the three skills that used to embody the industry and it was better off for it!

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Personally, I want every generation to be what it's always advertised and marketed to be which is a NEW generation. A clean fresh start. And I freaking hate cross-generation games from Sony and Microsoft (and Nintendo) because why release a new console if I don't need the new console hardware to play your games? Third party publishers like Ubi, EA, etc., is understandable but the hardware manufacturers shouldn't have cross-generation games at all in my opinion.

Reactions: Bryank75

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I think if their improvement on OTA display playback, and ARM architecture got improved as well as they sunked a big on a compatiblity layer, we may see the new machine being handheld. And that is a big if.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
we basically already have that.

in terms of games:

First: Cross gen with the old hardware
Second: truly "next gen"
Third: Cross gen with the new hardware.