Now that Jim Ryan is gone, bring us PS2 Classics!

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Small market for that. The company won't bother. I don;t think that's Jim's decision, necessarily.

I'd love that. Just go all out on PS1 and 2 games. I'd buy them digitally, no problem.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Use Nixxes to port PS2 and PS3 games to PS5. Up-rez and higher framerate, charge a small fee.....

Better than PC ports as they cost very little, enrich the platform and make more money with nobody taking a cut but PS.
I think it is better than make a emulator rather than working on a remaster, a lot of time of efforts that probably doesn't worth it.

Not to mention a lot of PS2 games based on renderware, redistributed them are basically impossible.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'd that as of now there's not enough market for it. But in the future once they release PSN stores for PC and mobile their audience reach will be much bigger and they'll need content to quickly fill these stores with appealing catalog not availabble on similar stores from Microsoft, Valve, Nintendo, Google, Apple or Amazon and the 3rd partiy stores.

I think then is when going to push the market of emulated games. We know they are working on a PC store, and we also know they are working on emulators. So who knows, let's wait and see.

Reactions: Box

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
It would be great but Sony's emulation efforts have been quite mediocre. On top of that there's licensing issues, games that are a PITA to bring back because they might be from defunct companies, revenue share issues you name it.

These non technical issues are what stopped MS with their BC program.

I think Sony's best bet is to start with first party PS3 games. They haven't aged as much and since they own them, there should be less legal hurdles to go over.

PS2 games can be hit or miss IQ wise when emulated. Lots of them have that native PS2 blurry IQ that makes looks like crap when displayed on a modern TV.

Reactions: Box and Snes nes

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Small market for that. The company won't bother. I don;t think that's Jim's decision, necessarily.
Dude FF7 Remake just breaking record become the best selling final fantasy game and thats PS1 game

Some PS2 remake has the potential the break the internet

Reactions: JAHGamer

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Dude FF7 Remake just breaking record become the best selling final fantasy game and thats PS1 game

Some PS2 remake has the potential the break the internet
FF7 remake is a PS5 game. It just happens to be a reimagining of a PS1 classic. There's a difference between a remake and just porting an old PS1/2 game.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
A lot of money being left on the table and seeing as it was 3 gens ago it might be time.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

I'd love that. Just go all out on PS1 and 2 games. I'd buy them digitally, no problem.

Aside from licensing issues, i don't think it costs all that much. Yes it's a niche market but it's enough thag conpanies like Nintendo port over a huge part of their older games. Just look at Nintendo online

Reactions: Kokoloko

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'd that as of now there's not enough market for it. But in the future once they release PSN stores for PC and mobile their audience reach will be much bigger and they'll need content to quickly fill these stores with appealing catalog not availabble on similar stores from Microsoft, Valve, Nintendo, Google, Apple or Amazon and the 3rd partiy stores.

I think then is when going to push the market of emulated games. We know they are working on a PC store, and we also know they are working on emulators. So who knows, let's wait and see.

Do we know they are working on a PC store? That's news to me.

So basically the PS hardware sales will collapse because you can game on PC with free online and probably cheaper games...

• haha
Reactions: Banana

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Aside from licensing issues, i don't think it costs all that much. Yes it's a niche market but it's enough thag conpanies like Nintendo port over a huge part of their older games. Just look at Nintendo online
Nintendo sells their old stuff at full price, though. And people buy it. Don't think it would work for PS. Don't take me wrong, I'd love for it to happen. I just think it won't.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Nintendo sells their old stuff at full price, though. And people buy it. Don't think it would work for PS. Don't take me wrong, I'd love for it to happen. I just think it won't.

Sony also doesn't take advantage of Nostalgia (they should) they have a massive library of potentially iconic IP's. Astro Bot and Ape Escape are very marketable if done right.

There is a ton of wasted potential

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Do we know they are working on a PC store? That's news to me.

Well, last year they had at least a job position that mentioned "Develop and implement global PC store strategy and process" in a separate point of the other stores "Global Strategy Business Operations PS growth, strategy and sales execution through global PC store fronts (Steam, Epic)" for the same office where they work on stuff like the PSN, emulation, PS cloud, etc.

They were looking for someone to work on strategy and process, so sounds that they are working on it but not to deliver it now, but years in the future:

image.png

So basically the PS hardware sales will collapse because you can game on PC with free online and probably cheaper games...
PS5 would continue "collapsing" as it is "collapsing" right now (in reality, selling better than ever and with record engagement, ARPU and 1st party and global game sales on PS. The difference with now having their own PC store would be that their PC games sold in that store wouldn't pay the revenue cut to Epic or Valve, would be 100% for Sony, like in the PS PSN store.

If desired, they could even make the PC games available in that store crossbuy with PS, so you could use any PC handheld of your preference as your Vita.

In fact, once they build enough content and userbase in that PC store they could stop publishing their PC games on Steam or Epic and also releasing their own PC handheld. But this is something it would take many years, maybe mid next gen.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I don't buy the "folks are being terrified of PS consoles becoming useless if games release on PC" narrative. That narrative always had an ulterior motive to me.

That might only be the case for enthusiasts. Folks that already know that PC gaming is the best alternative for them and put up with a console to play their exclusives down the line and nothing else. Not the customer that adds the most value to Sony.

But still, they would have to wait at least 2 years to play their exclusives, have the uncertainty about them releasing on PC (no Infamous, demons, ghosts, GT or Bloodborne yet) and pay more expensive prices on PC because by the time they release, they already hit rock bottom price on console or even available via sub.

This strategy works only for folks that were never going to get a console in the first place, like myself: Giving PS money for the first time since the PS2 era.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster