Now that Jim Ryan is gone, bring us PS2 Classics!

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I already gave up on PS2 emulation thing(there's Aethersx2 for Android phones and if some games run badly on it, there's original PS2 Slim haha). And about PS3 emulation, maybe it's time to find some cheap PS3 Super Slim to play some games locked on that era like Tekken 6 and TTT2(I know multiplatform games, but fk xbotz 🤣) and MGS4 etc.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I already gave up on PS2 emulation thing(there's Aethersx2 for Android phones and if some games run badly on it, there's original PS2 Slim haha). And about PS3 emulation, maybe it's time to find some cheap PS3 Super Slim to play some games locked on that era like Tekken 6 and TTT2(I know multiplatform games, but fk xbotz 🤣) and MGS4 etc.
We want emulation because it would potentially allow for better performance and some enhancements like higher rendering resolution.

Playing on OG hardware sucks, it's a million times better than streaming that's for sure.

Reactions: Box

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Playing on OG hardware sucks, it's a million times better than streaming that's for sure.

It depends on how streaming is handled. The Xbox 360 gears games on xcloud run enhanced at 1080p 60 way better than 720p 30 with drops of the console. If Sony can enhance the streamed games there wouldn't be much need for the original versions.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It depends on how streaming is handled. The Xbox 360 gears games on xcloud run enhanced at 1080p 60 way better than 720p 30 with drops of the console. If Sony can enhance the streamed games there wouldn't be much need for the original versions.
Yes, but this is the kind of thing they let you do locally with emulation as well.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
I'd that as of now there's not enough market for it. But in the future once they release PSN stores for PC and mobile their audience reach will be much bigger and they'll need content to quickly fill these stores with appealing catalog not availabble on similar stores from Microsoft, Valve, Nintendo, Google, Apple or Amazon and the 3rd partiy stores.

I think then is when going to push the market of emulated games. We know they are working on a PC store, and we also know they are working on emulators. So who knows, let's wait and see.
There never will be a PS store on PC.

We have retroarch and pcsx2 already btw.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Sony had a job offer related to a PC PSN store.
That job offering is for their store fronts on Steam and EGS.

You'd need at least 100 people for a PC storefront and launcher.

Lmao Epic doesn't even have store fronts yet.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That job offering is for their store fronts on Steam and EGS.

You'd need at least 100 people for a PC storefront and launcher.

Lmao Epic doesn't even have store fronts yet.
The job I mentioned was for several PC market related things. One of them was to develop and implement their own PC PSN store strategy, a separate point was the strategy for Steam and Epic. And more related stuff like growth, sales, partners, etc

Obviously the PC store won't be made by one guy. They already have a huge PSN team, and also a team that develop apps or OS stuff as could be the recent PSN phone app, or the emulators etc. They also had another job offer to work on emulators.

If they are smart, they'd reuse their PSN store website page and phone app simply adding PC as another platform there, as it already had PS4, PS5 or Vita. And then they could do some non-invasive optional launcher, or even to skip it including the trophies in-game and use the phone app for friends/user management and use Discord for messaging/void chat.

They already have a huge infrastructure that can reuse in a big part, more than a lot of work to develop stuff to new store I'd say it's more a strategy thing of deciding when it's the right moment to release it, pricing, 3rd party stuff, make some market research for all these things (another thing mentioned in the job offer was to research about user needs), decide how to exactly implement the stuff, to investigate the best way to fit it in their strategy and so on.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Use Nixxes to port PS2 and PS3 games to PS5. Up-rez and higher framerate, charge a small fee.....

Better than PC ports as they cost very little, enrich the platform and make more money with nobody taking a cut but PS.

Agreed.
People who say theres no market… Who cares. Its something that should be there without question on principle. PS has made alot of Money last 7 years, so they can afford this.

People will buy classics like they did on Wii/ Wii U and PS3. Its about legacy and at least giving people the choice to buy/play again if theres no full BC.

Whoever is next president I hope they had the same sense as most the previous PS presidents and get off PC and focus on PS

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Streaming games has never been available in places like Australia though because of how bad our Internet is.

There never will be a PS store on PC.

We have retroarch and pcsx2 already btw.

How good is Pcsx2 these days? I remember there being a ton of graphical glitches and frame rate issues

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
How good is Pcsx2 these days? I remember there being a ton of graphical glitches and frame rate issues
Pretty impressive, it even let you use patches for textures in games, as well as running them at full speed in the version I played GoW it had no glitches.

• Surprised
Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Pretty impressive, it even let you use patches for textures in games, as well as running them at full speed in the version I played GoW it had no glitches.

Honestly i might just bite the bullet, im tired of Classic games being held for ransom by licence holders who refuse to release it on modern hardware.

Like the Simpsons Hit & Run.

Copyright laws really need to be updated

Banana

10 Jan 2023
The job I mentioned was for several PC market related things. One of them was to develop and implement their own PC PSN store strategy, a separate point was the strategy for Steam and Epic. And more related stuff like growth, sales, partners, etc

Obviously the PC store won't be made by one guy. They already have a huge PSN team, and also a team that develop apps or OS stuff as could be the recent PSN phone app, or the emulators etc. They also had another job offer to work on emulators.

If they are smart, they'd reuse their PSN store website page and phone app simply adding PC as another platform there, as it already had PS4, PS5 or Vita. And then they could do some non-invasive optional launcher, or even to skip it including the trophies in-game and use the phone app for friends/user management and use Discord for messaging/void chat.

They already have a huge infrastructure that can reuse in a big part, more than a lot of work to develop stuff to new store I'd say it's more a strategy thing of deciding when it's the right moment to release it, pricing, 3rd party stuff, make some market research for all these things (another thing mentioned in the job offer was to research about user needs), decide how to exactly implement the stuff, to investigate the best way to fit it in their strategy and so on.
You're forgetting that the PS store and ecosystem is complete garbage and couldn't compete in an open market.

But if they try then perhaps it will get better for you console kids.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You're forgetting that the PS store and ecosystem is complete garbage and couldn't compete in an open market.

But if they try then perhaps it will get better for you console kids.
It's so 'complete garbage' that already is competing in the open markets of the consoles and game subs and is the market leader.

Honestly i might just bite the bullet, im tired of Classic games being held for ransom by licence holders who refuse to release it on modern hardware.
Usually the reason isn't that they refuse it. Instead is that originally, when the game was released they paid a certain amount of money to use the license in the game during X years, which had a price.

If back then they would have signed instead to use it forever, the price would have been much higher, pretty likely too expensive for them. So now, many years later after the license expired they have to negotiate, pay and sign the license again if they want to re-release the game.

And that price they have to pay today -combined with the other costs of rereleasing it- is higher than the money they estimate that the re-release of the game will generate, because they look at the sales of the other very old games and typically are very niche, only small amount of people them.

So they decide to don't rerelease the game because it would mean to lose money instead of generating profit.

In other cases, the rights holder died or shut down the company without giving or selling the rights to someone else, so whoever wants to rerelease the game can't sign it again.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Banana

10 Jan 2023
It's so 'complete garbage' that already is competing in the open markets of the consoles and game subs and is the market leader.
It's the default console.

Also, their competition is microsoft.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Same here i would rather get a pre owned ps3 or am emulator to play those games, i an not joining the Xbox Echo system

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

Like the Simpsons Hit & Run.

Copyright laws really need to be updated

That thing is abandonware. The game has a PC version. As long as games have decent PC versions we are fine. I am playing need for speed underground 2 on PC and it looks great, no chance in hell they sell that game again.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's the default console.

Also, their competition is microsoft.
Don't forget the Nintendo online store and "ecosystem".

If players and 3rd parties support way more the PS one and it's the default console for them it's because of something: because they prefer it over the other ones.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
That thing is abandonware. The game has a PC version. As long as games have decent PC versions we are fine. I am playing need for speed underground 2 on PC and it looks great, no chance in hell they sell that game again.
You're right still wish those games would get re released on the ps5 though my pc is wank & over heats all the time lol