NPD December 2022 (PS5 #1 Revenue, Switch #1 Units, Xbox @ $200 Forever #3, Leaked LTD up to Nov 2022: 10.6m PS5 / 8.7m Xbox)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

DECEMBRER

FULL YEAR

LEAKED BY Aquamarine@InstallBase.

PS5 US NPD HW:
Jun-22: 277K
Jul-22: 301K
Aug-22: 341K
Sep-22: 494K
Oct-22: 456K
Nov-22: 1328K
LTD as of Nov-22: 10592K

XBX US NPD HW:
Jun-22: 260K
Jul-22: 247K
Aug-22: 251K
Sep-22: 288K
Oct-22: 261K
Nov-22: 730K
LTD as of Nov-22: 8736K

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It didn't chart on Switch too... that is weird but I can see FF is heavy tied with PlayStation.
It charted really well on release for the switch didn't it? maybe it's due to no digital sales reported for switch

Reactions: ethomaz

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Digital included because it is a Square Enix published game.
Only Nintendo and Take 2 published games don't have digital.
oh maybe i was only remembering the JP numbers. ig worldwide people would be playing the game on ps4/ps5 instead of switch due to performance

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
oh maybe i was only remembering the JP numbers. ig worldwide people would be playing the game on ps4/ps5 instead of switch due to performance
That is the most recent matrix of digital for these curious.
Nintendo doesn't share anything for their published games.
And Take 2 is the weird one... they do share the data but they don't allow NPD to use them in the public chats lol

Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I will share the estimates from Welfare on InstallBase but remember he trend to underestimate PS and overestimate Xbox alot... in this case he admit he have no ideia of low and high of his guesstimates:

YEAR
NSW: <6M
PS5: <5.5M
XBS: <4.9M

NOVEMBER & DECEMBER
PS5, ~1.2M and ~1.3M
NSW, ~1M and ~1.5M
XBS, ~900K and ~1.1M

PS. If PS5 did anything close to 5.5m it is already close to best PS4 year in US (5.7m)... seems like PS5 can do way more if there is enough stocks.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I almost made the joke "Xbox Always #3"... it is #3 in both revenue and units.
Edit - Fuck.. .let's do it.

A sub $200 console should have crushed in sales the $500 one, no?
i dont know in the usa but here in europe the series s its gathering dust since the first day,no matter how many how many sales or offerts,i mean i buyed one for my son for 12 for him to play some fifa ,and i have series x and a ps5 but nobody wants this console here

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think this NPD shows the opposite.
Even at $200 Series S not put the sales on fire so maybe MS can realize it is better to focus on Series X.
Ive read and heard the series x is hard to find/ unavailable and its been that way for awhile. I think Microsoft has given up on the "premium" devices and decided to go all in on the cheap version. I wouldnt be surprised if alot of the mess going on with MS first party is having to reconfigure their games to have the series S as the lead platform.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
you really have to wonder if they can keep up producing the series X model. it just isn't selling enough units, its a complete niche product.

XBox seems to only be pushing the series S across all regions. I scrolled their twitter feed and you won't even find the Series X listed once.

The PS5 has completely positioned MS out of the core games market. their future is a low-spec budget model with free games via gamepass.

now you see why xbox never release any mature, graphically intensive games.

series X is toast. it may very be discontinued this year.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
you really have to wonder if they can keep up producing the series X model. it just isn't selling enough units, its a complete niche product.

XBox seems to only be pushing the series S across all regions. I scrolled their twitter feed and you won't even find the Series X listed once.

The PS5 has completely positioned MS out of the core games market. their future is a low-spec budget model with free games via gamepass.

now you see why xbox never release any mature, graphically intensive games.

series X is toast. it may very be discontinued this year.

This is what im trying to articulate and say, thank you. Microsft is seemingly abandoning core gaming and focusing on these whacky, colorful, stylized, and most importantly, cheaply made games. "Doing more with less" is microsofts mantra, like for real.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
I will share the estimates from Welfare on InstallBase but remember he trend to underestimate PS and overestimate Xbox alot... in this case he admit he have no ideia of low and high of his guesstimates:

YEAR

NOVEMBER & DECEMBER
PS5, ~1.2M and ~1.3M
NSW, ~1M and ~1.5M
XBS, ~900K and ~1.1M

PS. If PS5 did anything close to 5.5m it is already close to best PS4 year in US (5.7m)... seems like PS5 can do way more if there is enough stocks.

Those “estimates” are as useless as NPD.

NPD is based on dollar sales now. At least for the dumb down public release. You can’t can’t get any type of real sales number from dollar sales. And yeah Welfare always guesses PS5 sales being lower than they actually are.

In either case, NPD serves no use these days.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
A sub $200 console should have crushed in sales the $500 one, no?
The thing is the $500 console almost always has exclusive games in the sales ranking, while the ones for the $200 not. As an example, in that 2022 ranking (the one of the biggest country for the console market) there are 3 exclusives of the $500 and none of the $200.

Most game sold and played are 3rd party and multiplatform that can be played in both, but seems that the $500 console has exclusives that are appealing to a ton of people, so pretty likely influencing in the hardware sales.

YEAR

NOVEMBER & DECEMBER
PS5, ~1.2M and ~1.3M
NSW, ~1M and ~1.5M
XBS, ~900K and ~1.1M

These estimations are clearly wrong. If that distance between XB and Switch woud be true then XB would be above Switch in dollar sales and isn't the case.

Underestimates PS and overestimates XB? Probably is the guy who invents the VGChatz worldwide console sales -fake-numbers.

As I remember even if PS outperforms them like 2:1, at least until some months ago XB Series was doing a better job than previous XB consoles or at least than XBO. Which is good for them.

And that with almost no exclusives. Meaning that once they start releasing the gazillion big 1st party games they have under development they'll perform better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

YEAR

NOVEMBER & DECEMBER
PS5, ~1.2M and ~1.3M
NSW, ~1M and ~1.5M
XBS, ~900K and ~1.1M

No point, Welfare is a well known Xbox fanboy. So is TrunksDW from VGChartz.... their numbers are useless and even when the real numbers are revealed they are hesitant to edit their numbers up to the proper figures..

They always have an excuse to overestimate Xbox numbers and similarly another excuse to underestimate PS numbers.....

Appreciate your effort though.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
These estimations are clearly wrong. If that distance between XB and Switch woud be true then XB would be above Switch in dollar sales and isn't the case.

Underestimates PS and overestimates XB? Probably is the guy who invents the VGChatz worldwide console sales -fake-numbers.
Not necessarily; for example if we had 600k series S sold at $200 and 400k series X sold at $400 due to christmas deals, it would have made less dollarwise than 1m switches at $300. O