NPD December 2022 (PS5 #1 Revenue, Switch #1 Units, Xbox @ $200 Forever #3, Leaked LTD up to Nov 2022: 10.6m PS5 / 8.7m Xbox)

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
These estimations are clearly wrong. If that distance between XB and Switch woud be true then XB would be above Switch in dollar sales and isn't the case.
Actually the Series S that was probably the best selling Xbox reached low as $200 in December... that is even lower than the best selling Switch.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
you really have to wonder if they can keep up producing the series X model. it just isn't selling enough units, its a complete niche product.

XBox seems to only be pushing the series S across all regions. I scrolled their twitter feed and you won't even find the Series X listed once.

The PS5 has completely positioned MS out of the core games market. their future is a low-spec budget model with free games via gamepass.

now you see why xbox never release any mature, graphically intensive games.

series X is toast. it may very be discontinued this year.

This is what im trying to articulate and say, thank you. Microsft is seemingly abandoning core gaming and focusing on these whacky, colorful, stylized, and most importantly, cheaply made games. "Doing more with less" is microsofts mantra, like for real.
I understand that point...

But from my point of view even in a fire sale Series S is not selling what MS wants in US.
If you slash $50 in your product and put it at the $199 price point and can't sell more than $100-300 expensives products something is wrong.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Actually the Series S that was probably the best selling Xbox reached low as $200 in December... that is even lower than the best selling Switch.
Yeah, but I think people already has PS4 or XBO to play multiplatform games on non-high end conditions and with the lack of big exclusives (both being sold or included in GP) don't see the point on upgrading from PS4/XBO to Series S unless it's the case of someone with little money, without a 4K tv and that is very interested on the few big exclusives or big next gen only games released there or to be released soon.

Specially having a 4K tv, makes more sense to upgrade to a Series X or PS5 because at least there's a bigger improvement on the multi/crossgen games, and they are more future proof (meaning that once next gen only games start taking full advantage of the hardware won't suck as the Series S will).

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I understand that point...

But from my point of view even in a fire sale Series S is not selling what MS wants in US.
If you slash $50 in your product and put it at the $199 price point and can't sell more than $100-300 expensives products something is wrong.
I get what youre saying, if series s at discount cant outsell ps5 twice its price then something IS wrong. Im adding to your point and saying i think MS is abandoning the higher end market. Sorry if i wasnt clear about it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not necessarily; for example if we had 600k series S sold at $200 and 400k series X sold at $400 due to christmas deals, it would have made less dollarwise than 1m switches at $300. O
That would be with XB and Switch selling the same, with zero bundles on each side and with Series S selling 60% of the Xbox.

In any case, we know XB is the 3rd in USA in both sales and dollars even if we don't know the distance between the 3 consoles.

I didn't know they price cutted the Series S to $199.

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
As I remember even if PS outperforms them like 2:1, at least until some months ago XB Series was doing a better job than previous XB consoles or at least than XBO. Which is good for them.

And that with almost no exclusives. Meaning that once they start releasing the gazillion big 1st party games they have under development they'll perform better.

Xbox is only doing better than other Xbox consoles, slightly, because of the shortages and increased demand because of the pandemic.

If there were no shortages Xbox would be behind Xbox One.

It still might match or fall behind XB1. The shortage demand won’t be sustainable.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Xbox is only doing better than other Xbox consoles, slightly, because of the shortages and increased demand because of the pandemic.

If there were no shortages Xbox would be behind Xbox One.

It still might match or fall behind XB1. The shortage demand won’t be sustainable.
Maybe. PS5 supply in theory started to improve, but in many countries like Japan or Spain we're still seeing pretty limited numbers.

We still have to see PS5 and Series X supply being able to match its demand and keep constant supply in the stores worldwide. In the future once that happens maybe maybe the distance between PS5 and Series changes, and the comparision of Series vs previous generations of XB may improve. Or not, who know.

24 Jun 2022
Incoming hot take: Microsoft will discontinue the series x by the end of the year and focus solely on the series s.

Nah.

I think this NPD shows the opposite.
Even at $200 Series S not put the sales on fire so maybe MS can realize it is better to focus on Series X.

More likely. But I think alongside that they're also considering a price increase on at least Series X, that's what the FH5 bundle seems to be a soft conditioning for (realistically why pay extra for that unless you REALLY want to own the game and plan to spend 6 or so months playing it through the year? Because you'd be better off getting a non-bundle and a month or two of GamePass to play that and a ton of other games at a cheaper price combined).

If the bundle does well, that's how they'll handle the price increase for Series X in NA region at least: bundle it with a somewhat older 1P game to give the perception of added value for people out of the loop. Considering their Game Pass commercials almost never feature the Series X, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people thought it were a service only available for the Series S!!

Ive read and heard the series x is hard to find/ unavailable and its been that way for awhile. I think Microsoft has given up on the "premium" devices and decided to go all in on the cheap version. I wouldnt be surprised if alot of the mess going on with MS first party is having to reconfigure their games to have the series S as the lead platform.

It's probably not the case MS have ceded that portion of the market but it DEFINITELY feels like it and I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly have internally. They haven't pulled away with multiplat wins consistently over two years in, they don't have a VR option, they haven't had a lot of big-impact exclusives to push the higher-end device since launch.

Combined with all their advertising and messaging prioritizing Series S and practically ignoring the Series X and it feels like Series X is being relegated to a resolution/framerate booster box.

you really have to wonder if they can keep up producing the series X model. it just isn't selling enough units, its a complete niche product.

XBox seems to only be pushing the series S across all regions. I scrolled their twitter feed and you won't even find the Series X listed once.

The PS5 has completely positioned MS out of the core games market. their future is a low-spec budget model with free games via gamepass.

now you see why xbox never release any mature, graphically intensive games.

series X is toast. it may very be discontinued this year.

You're right how in terms of messaging and marketing, MS basically treat the Series X like the black sheep of the family. It's been that way for many months if not over a year by now. It's only really diehard Xbox fans who focus on Series X these days.

Not sure if that's a sign they're going to discontinue it this year but, I can see them keeping production numbers limited at least until they see how Series S does when games like RedFall, Forza Motorsport, Starfield etc. hit. If they still feel the need to do heavy subsidizations with price cuts to push volumes, then they will probably prioritize Series X more even if that means less volume they can produce, because they would be able to sell through more of that volume without doing heavy price cuts.

That's why I feel like the FH5 Series X bundle is a test, because that's going to be more a statement on demand for Series X considering you can get FH5 for much cheaper through Game Pass. If that bundle does very well, even with the increased price, then they may actually shift to prioritizing Series X stock sooner than the end of the year, just to have that ready for the holidays.

But, that could limit their supply as a whole globally if they do so, meaning MS are going to have to really prioritize certain markets over others. Ultimately I feel Series S has underperformed relative what you'd of expected it to do for a system of its price at the start of the gen, and that ultimately it was a bit of a mistake to both launch and to also mandate all games natively support.

Honestly, Project Keystone would have been a better complement to Series X than what the Series S is turning out to be. At the very least MS could consider removing the mandate for all games to run natively on it. They'd still have to contend with production costs and MSRP, but they could probably adjust the marketing and messaging of it into what it maybe should have been: a current-gen XBO BC machine.

Imagine if they had done that instead. Could've lowered the RAM a bit more, gone with an even smaller GPU, different CPU clocks (even lower than Series S), slower SSD, maybe even a bit less storage, but target it as the perfect affordable XBO BC system bringing some performance upgrades and being a perfect client device for xCloud as well as multimedia streaming. Could have released it at $199 or maybe even less than that, and position it against devices like Apple TV and Roku boxes while also being a Game Pass machine and BC solution for XBO games. Maybe it gets some Series X games it can play natively but for others you use cloud streaming to play them.

Save perfect One X BC for Series X, push that as your next-gen system solely. I think they'd be doing a lot better if they went this route (I'm not saying they're doing "bad" at all, but again, Series S has (IMO) underperformed and it's also constraining what they can do with Series X in multiple ways).

Reactions: Hezekiah

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
MS didn't release any games last year... and probably still almost sold as much as Playstation :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
They didn't even costing less than half of PS5's price.
No games though... like.. basically since launch.. not even just last year. For the past 2 years MS hasn't really released shit.

GamePass is what's selling consoles currently.. and NA was likely STILL pretty close between PS5 and Xbox Series consoles.

PS5 has released:

-Returnal
-Ratchet and Clank
-GT7
-God of War: R
-Spider-Man Miles Morales
-Horizon Forbidden West
-Demon's Souls
-TLOU P1

LOL....

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
MS didn't release any games last year... and probably still almost sold as much as Playstation :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
In the past I was told the $199 price point was magical.
Imagine a $499 machine selling way more than a $199 in their best home territory.
There is no way to spin what happened.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
In the past I was told the $199 price point was magical.
Imagine a $499 machine selling way more than a $199 in their best home territory.
There is no way to spin what happened.
It's just facts. They have released essentially no games. That's not spin.. that's reality of what's actually happened.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It's just facts. They have released essentially no games. That's not spin.. that's reality of what's actually happened.
who cares about games? gamepass best deal in gaming
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• haha
Reactions: Bodycount611

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
Maybe. PS5 supply in theory started to improve, but in many countries like Japan or Spain we're still seeing pretty limited numbers.

We still have to see PS5 and Series X supply being able to match its demand and keep constant supply in the stores worldwide. In the future once that happens maybe maybe the distance between PS5 and Series changes, and the comparision of Series vs previous generations of XB may improve. Or not, who know.

Nah man. No need to try and give Xbox the benefit of the doubt.

Even with shortages and increased demand you can pretty much find the Series S on shelves at every store. Series X too but less so. Online is a different story. SX has been in stock at the MS store website since the beginning of 2022. Same for retailers like Walmart. PS5 still manages to outsell it with less supply. Now supply has increased we are seeing the natural order of thing.

Xbox brand is just not as desirable as PlayStation.

This is why MS doesn’t release any sales data. It lets people make up numbers and assume Xbox is doing better that it really is. Case in point....