Only 33% of Xbox Wo Long players have beaten the first boss - TrueAchievements

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

wo-long-fallen-dynasty-blogroll-1677730789544.jpg

It's safe to say that a major factor here is Wo Long's availability in Xbox Game Pass, with any subscribers free to jump into Team Ninja's new adventure and try it out. There's a good chance that many players will simply bounce off the game and never come back after being knocked around by the challenging first boss, and some may not even have made it that far before deciding the game wasn't for them and giving up. Compare the Xbox numbers to other platforms where the game isn't available as part of a subscription service and there's a huge disparity that backs up this notion — Journey's Beginning sits at a 33% unlock rate on Xbox, compared to a whopping 85% on both PlayStation and Steam, where players have had to buy the game and are therefore naturally more committed to getting through it.

There then follows a pretty steep but steady drop-off in unlocks for the rest of the 17 story-based achievements, gradually falling to just 2% by the time we get to the final story pops — that lower tail end is to be expected when the game has barely been out a week and many will still be working their way through it. As you might expect from a dedicated achievement-hunting community, tracked TrueAchievements players are off to a considerably better start, with roughly half of those with Wo Long on their tags now past the first hurdle. Interestingly, though, TA player unlocks actually dip below the global Xbox level slightly in the mid-to-late-game, before evening out to the same 2% unlock rate as the wider Xbox pool on the last few achievements.

wo-long-xbox-first-boss-achievement.jpg

Only 33% of Wo Long Xbox players have beaten the first boss

Wo Long launched into Xbox Game Pass last week, and the first boss fight in Team Ninja's new action-RPG is an already infamous early difficulty spike... so much so that only 33% of Xbox players have beaten it so far.
www.trueachievements.com

Via LunaticGamer on Neogaf

EN250

17 Feb 2023
gp effect, try free sh*t and move to the next, repeat process ad infinitum, idk why devs think that's a good idea for their games to be played for 5 minutes and be forgotten right after, guess getting the check in hand right away is nice and all, but long term I don't know...

8BiTw0LF

No incentive to complete a free GP title, I guess. Download, play for 2 hours, next - rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Vertigo

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No incentive to complete a free GP title, I guess. Download, play for 2 hours, next - rinse and repeat.
If that was the case HiFi should had over 20 million players but it ended with 2 million.

Most people don’t give a shit for free GB titles unless it is something they are really looking for… the way people on forum talks about trying several titles is pure bullshit for most GP owners.

Even theses forum posters just say that to fell better being a GP subber.

And that come from a guy that got all PS+ “free” games and tried not even 10% of them.

8BiTw0LF

If that was the case HiFi should had over 20 million players but it ended with 2 million.

Most people don’t give a shit for free GB titles unless it is something they are really looking for… the way people on forum talks about trying several titles is pure bullshit for most GP owners.

Even theses forum posters just say that to fell better being a GP subber.

And that come from a guy that got all PS+ “free” games and tried not even 10% of them.
Exactly. This is why GP will end up becoming the "Netflix" of game services. Bunch of shit nobody wants to see/game and a few hitters, making people re-sub for their next fix.

Reactions: ethomaz

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
I enjoy Gamepass. I also didn't beat the first boss. Playing Atomic Heart and loving it. And the Quarry.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
This is like when I was a kid and I wished so hard that I could get all those NES games (I was aware of 750 as the number).

Move forward a few years and I get into PC gaming, get access to some ways to get all the games for free... Well guess what? I never went further than a few minutes in each games because I had to try the others and if there was one little thing that got in the way I would drop out of it. So I ended up playing less games to the end.

Something similar happened with emulation and ROMs, what do you do when you have 10 000 games at your finger tip? At first you get to try all of them, find out that most are boring AF, or that you would need the manual to get what's going on.

So you don't really play more games, you end up playing half-life, supreme commander, Chrono trigger and zelda anyway.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I do find that as much as i see good games being added to ps plus, i just dont really feel invested in any of them. I claim them for a rainy day and forget about them.

I actually think sonys strategy so far of having that one new game every once in a while is better. Something like Stray or Tchia feels more like a special event cause its so much more rare

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This is like when I was a kid and I wished so hard that I could get all those NES games (I was aware of 750 as the number).

Move forward a few years and I get into PC gaming, get access to some ways to get all the games for free... Well guess what? I never went further than a few minutes in each games because I had to try the others and if there was one little thing that got in the way I would drop out of it. So I ended up playing less games to the end.

Something similar happened with emulation and ROMs, what do you do when you have 10 000 games at your finger tip? At first you get to try all of them, find out that most are boring AF, or that you would need the manual to get what's going on.

So you don't really play more games, you end up playing half-life, supreme commander, Chrono trigger and zelda anyway.
Same here but with SNES.
I was so sad that I cound't buy/play a lot of games.

When I entered in the college and finally got into internet (1999) I started to download rooms to play via emulator and I downloaded all SNES roms... played very few games... finished none.

I have a way better time playing the few (well few compared with all SNES roms lol I ended with over 50 games on PS and like 10 on N64) games I brought to PlayStation and N64.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
First story trophy and the last story trophy. By the way, yesterday it was 12%.

This reporting was from Playstation..
Screenshot_2023-03-10-13-32-14-178_com.scee.psxandroid.jpg Screenshot_2023-03-10-13-31-42-456_com.scee.psxandroid.jpg

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
This is exactly why I stopped with sales and whatnot. I'm buying games now only when I'm playing them and I think I spend less money this way in the end.

24 Jun 2022

At least in my case, I wouldn't say that's necessarily true. I would have never played Planet Laika if it weren't for emulators and the fan translation, for example. What I tend to do is go for games I know are going to be unique (the curiosity of the uniqueness being a big reason why I play through them) or are games I always wanted to play and know for a fact will complete.

But admittedly my way of going through retro games is in the minority.