Opinion: Microsoft should buy Valve.

• Thread starter Deleted member 417
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 417

Microsoft should buy Valve. Your thoughts on Microsoft aside, from a business perspective, it would fill all of the gaps for Microsoft and the Xbox division. If they bought valve, they would have access to:

• Steam deck - Microsoft could enter the handheld market, making deals with Nintendo for shared exclusivity, like Call of Duty. The Steam deck is the X version of a smartphone.
  • VR - Enter the VR market with provable tech and exclusive games like HL:Alyx- the absence of which has been a negative talking point of PSV2
  • PC - Relive the glory days of Microsoft Games Studios and Games For Windows Live and cement your monopoly in the PC Space
  • Ruin everything - In classic Microsoft fashion, you could nuke yourself so that no one could play in the now radioactive cesspit previously called an industry.

Microsoft could buy Steam and attack Nintendo in the handheld market with steamdeck, Sony in the VR market with Index and Google and Apple in the mobile market, all while stealing 100's of millions of user from Amazon servers.

If it all goes wrong? The industry is in ruins and no-one makes profit. Win/Win

EDIT: I don't want this, it's just a fun hypothetical of how, hypothetically MS could fix a lot of their 'xbox' issues by purchasing steam

Last edited by a moderator:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They absolutely want to buy it but I don't know if Gabe will allow it. He should put it somewhere that he doesn't want to sell to MS before it's too late.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I would prefer that to Activision, they already basically own PC through Windows..... it just makes it more official.

It would also give Sony a wake-up call, that PC is not a place they should be expanding to...they need to focus on their own platform, a closed platform and expand the audience by working to get more consoles into more peoples hands every year.

Being 550, while Xbox is 500 in UK, Ireland and across europe isn't helping that and giving away your exclusives also hurts what value youre offering.

Time to reassess

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Smart move for them. Gabe has a soft spot for MS.
But horrible move for gaming all round.

MS needs to build its on success, not piggy back off others work. Yeah a bit is fine, buying the industry and all the successful IP’s isnt gonna be good for the industry

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I don’t think regulators will ever allow a console manufacturer to acquire an entire platform holder. Valve Steam is same as Nintendo, Playstation. This merger would be instantly blocked. Honestly I am seeing this as an impossible take, especially after regulators did scrutinise them this heavy. Activision Blizzard will be the last big acquisition, Microsoft will be able to pull off. Antitrust authorities are now aware which dangerous ambitions (monopoly based) Microsoft pursues. I ensure this will be the last big move for Microsoft.

• brain

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Nah. If they get AB, Sony shoud get Valve. Just for lols. MS d be pissed. They wanted to remove sony from living room, now sony d own biggest pc platform.
Same here, wether Sony or even Nintendo would be allowed for merger like this. Steam has too much control in PC gaming.

When this ABK deal goes through, Sony will pursue to buy smaller companies. E.g. Square Enix, Capcom. This would be more realistic to respond.

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Same here, wether Sony or even Nintendo would be allowed for merger like this. Steam has too much control in PC gaming.

When this ABK deal goes through, Sony will pursue to buy smaller companies. E.g. Square Enix, Capcom. This would be more realistic to respond.
Sony can always make a case, they have zero or small presence on pc, they want to expand. Almost enter new market. They ll continue to publish games on pc as usual. Keep people employed. Will faster publish their games on pc, open new ips to new user. New games for 100M more people as MS d love to say.
They have better argument than MS.

But i doubt it lol.