Opinion: Microsoft should buy Valve.

• Thread starter Deleted member 417
  • Start date

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Microsoft should buy Valve. Your thoughts on Microsoft aside, from a business perspective, it would fill all of the gaps for Microsoft and the Xbox division. If they bought valve, they would have access to:

• Steam deck - Microsoft could enter the handheld market, making deals with Nintendo for shared exclusivity, like Call of Duty. The Steam deck is the X version of a smartphone.
  • VR - Enter the VR market with provable tech and exclusive games like HL:Alyx- the absence of which has been a negative talking point of PSV2
  • PC - Relive the glory days of Microsoft Games Studios and Games For Windows Live and cement your monopoly in the PC Space
  • Ruin everything - In classic Microsoft fashion, you could nuke yourself so that no one could play in the now radioactive cesspit previously called an industry.

Microsoft could buy Steam and attack Nintendo in the handheld market with steamdeck, Sony in the VR market with Index and Google and Apple in the mobile market, all while stealing 100's of millions of user from Amazon servers.

If it all goes wrong? The industry is in ruins and no-one makes profit. Win/Win
Have they not already ruined enough, :(

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I rather have Microsoft paying us for playing games. They have the money, they “care about us” so…
We all need some extra income.

But now being serious, you sir should be the head of Xbox. It’s actually a good evil idea.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
No they shouldn't be allowed if you're a PC gamer (or gamer in general who loves fairytales of market "balance") but MS should have bought them a long time ago. So No and Yes... ;)

I think it irked MS initially and greatly that Gabe became an established middle man on a platform MS built, and I'm sure they're envious of Apple and Google (and Sony etc) in this regard (platform control) but I think they've come to an acceptance phase a long time ago as it poses no threat to the Windows ecosystem buy-in wise.... just cuts down their potential revenue out of every Windows license there is. You can clearly see MS has tried to correct this with Windows Live, Windows Store, and now Gamepass but they continue to miss the mark (call this the soft approach). The obvious solution would be the hard approach - to pony up and buy Valve for an outrageous price, then battle regulators. The goal being of course consolidation for the Windows platform, greater control, lesser potential for external threats. and maximization of potential profit margins per Windows license.

Obviously we may never know how many MS attempts have been made to acquire Valve and how far those attempts got. I think MS has begrudgingly become OK with the status quo and prefers to allocate resources to battle other competitors at their turf (bring the battle to them if you will - Sony and Nintendo being more vulnerable (Xbox) than say Apple or Google with the failed Windows Phone ventures).

I do agree that there is a potential benefit of MS acquiring Valve - MS will turn it to shit eventually, but not before trying to fuck up the industry in all sorts of ways. So if you believe in zero sum, strategically it's beneficial for console makers and platforms to have an incompetent manager heading Valve - as a calculated "the end justify the means'" risk. I wouldn't set that much weight to regulators blocking the deal but that is just a superficial take for the time being.

Last edited:
  • thisistheway
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
For sure, they would be a great acquisition for MS, Sony or Tencent. Each one of these companies would be happy to buy them but regulators would block it.

Because Valve already has most of the PC market, and adding the part they already have MS would have basically a monopoly in PC. To Sony they'd block it because they are market leaders in console, game subs and now that would also would make them market leaders in PC and would strength them in high end VR. And Tencent well, they already are market leaders in gaming and that would make the distance way bigger.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

Anyone who thinks Microsoft should acquire Steam doesn't understand PC gaming, or would rather their supercorporation "win" just because, rather than want gaming to move forward.
This is just a topic of discussion. No one wants it to happen.

The reason I posted the thread was to get people to discuss Microsoft strategy and how, hypothetically, a Valve purchase would fit into their strategy. No fanboy feeling or anything other than looking at this from a pure business perspective

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
For sure, they would be a great acquisition for MS, Sony or Tencent. Each one of these companies would be happy to buy them but regulators would block it.

Because Valve already has most of the PC market, and adding the part they already have MS would have basically a monopoly in PC. To Sony they'd block it because they are market leaders in console, game subs and now that would also would make them market leaders in PC and would strength them in high end VR. And Tencent well, they already are market leaders in gaming and that would make the distance way bigger.
Damn, when u put it that way they d be perfect target for sony lol. I forgot they have VR segment along with steam deck.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
MS store tries are way different from Steam and that is why they failed.
MS buying Steam will only make MS Store madatory to all PC gamers... yeap Steam will become exactly like MS Store.

Do you want that?

I don't like Steam myself because I think they have tons of things to evolve in their Store but compared with EGS and MS Store they are decades ahead.

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
Microsoft should buy Valve. Your thoughts on Microsoft aside, from a business perspective, it would fill all of the gaps for Microsoft and the Xbox division. If they bought valve, they would have access to:

• Steam deck - Microsoft could enter the handheld market, making deals with Nintendo for shared exclusivity, like Call of Duty. The Steam deck is the X version of a smartphone.
  • VR - Enter the VR market with provable tech and exclusive games like HL:Alyx- the absence of which has been a negative talking point of PSV2
  • PC - Relive the glory days of Microsoft Games Studios and Games For Windows Live and cement your monopoly in the PC Space
  • Ruin everything - In classic Microsoft fashion, you could nuke yourself so that no one could play in the now radioactive cesspit previously called an industry.

Microsoft could buy Steam and attack Nintendo in the handheld market with steamdeck, Sony in the VR market with Index and Google and Apple in the mobile market, all while stealing 100's of millions of user from Amazon servers.

If it all goes wrong? The industry is in ruins and no-one makes profit. Win/Win
jake-gyllenhaal-shakes-head.gif

Reactions: anonpuffs

One eyed jacks

10 Feb 2023
how about? they buy nothing and slowly went out of the gaming business? how about that?
Their strategy of buying the entire games industry getting blocked will hopefully speed this outcome up exponentially. It’s poetic that a rental service of their own making filled with self trained freeloaders is ultimately going to take them out. Sorry not sorry!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The real thing standing in the way of a Valve buyout is that they are either privately held or enough key stock holders always act as one that they might as well be. I don't know if there'd be legal blocks to any of them buying Valve/Steam, with the lone exception of Tencent for so-called "national security" reasons which basically amount to political dislike of China.

Valve is rather unique and doesn't really have direct competitors except Epic. So, yeah, Epic probably wouldn't be allowed to buy them.

Edit: Actually, they have a VR platform too, maybe Meta would be blocked too (oh lord, imagine the salt if Facebook brought Valve and started force-integrating it into their existing ecosystem.) How many viable VR platforms do there need to be before they can start buying eachother?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 417

I've updated the OP to clarify that this isn't something I want.

I was hoping it would generate a discussion on the pros/cons of filling the gaps (handheld, PC, VR) of Xbox to line up with MS' larger strategy.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I've updated the OP to clarify that this isn't something I want.

I was hoping it would generate a discussion on the pros/cons of filling the gaps (handheld, PC, VR) of Xbox to line up with MS' larger strategy.
Well, Gamepass is their PC strategy, handhelds as a concept are dead and VR is a niche not worth being in, so there you go.

• haha
24 Jun 2022
Why would it be bad for Microsoft?

It's not about if it's bad for Microsoft. It would literally be a monopolistic purchase. Steam has more than 80% of the PC gaming userbase...it's probably closer to 90% if I had to guess. But Valve earned that market share by serving the market for well over a decade and providing a product customers chose to support.

Microsoft would simply be buying their way to those customers and their data. It's a clear-cut case of a company buying their way to majority market share and regulators would shut that down in a heartbeat.

If you want Microsoft to be more competitive on PC, just ask them to put forward a better effort with their own products. You know, actual competition.