Opinion: Playstation Will Miss Sales Targets for 2024

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
In my opinion Sony will again Miss sales targets this year, last year we had Spiderman 2 and not much else while this year we had helldivers 2 which could of been a strong exclusive but was also launched on PC and possibly had more sales there.

At the end of the year all we have is Astro Bot which im sure will be a great game but not sell over 5 million and Concord.

Concord is currently sitting a 90% dislike ratio on Youtube with most comments being very negative. I just dont see how Sony can turn this around

What do you guys think? Will Sony reach their Lowered sales targets this year or have to adjust them to be even lower?

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
In my opinion Sony will again Miss sales targets this year, last year we had Spiderman 2 and not much else while this year we had helldivers 2 which could of been a strong exclusive but was also launched on PC and possibly had more sales there.

At the end of the year all we have is Astro Bot which im sure will be a great game but not sell over 5 million and Concord.

Concord is currently sitting a 90% dislike ratio on Youtube with most comments being very negative. I just dont see how Sony can turn this around

What do you guys think? Will Sony reach their Lowered sales targets this year or have to adjust them to be even lower?
I think Sony will be completely wiped out, the company will implode, and all its staff and studios will be fired.

After that, a plague will infect them, followed by an asteroid and a tidal wave, these disasters will likely only hit players that bought a PS5.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I think Sony will be completely wiped out, the company will implode, and all its staff and studios will be fired.

After that, a plague will infect them, followed by an asteroid and a tidal wave, these disasters will likely only hit players that bought a PS5.

At least PSVR2 owners will be Immune to this!

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Console sales have been declining around 20%-30% year over year so far this month in every region. They sold 20.8m last fiscal year and project 18m for this fiscal year. If this trend continues then they'll definitely miss their targets again. They need aggressive discounts if they want to hit that goal.

But Sony (like Xbox) doesn't care about console sales anymore and a PS5 Pro won't have the same allure that the PS4 Pro did since all of their games are already on PC. They'll just try to make up the lost console sale revenue by raising prices again and milking existing console owners as much as they can.

Cyberbroly7

3 Jun 2023

Rubbish take if it wasn't sarcasm lol

• party
Reactions: Sircaw

Cyberbroly7

3 Jun 2023

Ur lack of knowledge about Sony's plans is showing

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Console sales have been declining around 20%-30% year over year so far this month in every region. They sold 20.8m last fiscal year and project 18m for this fiscal year. If this trend continues then they'll definitely miss their targets again. They need aggressive discounts if they want to hit that goal.

But Sony (like Xbox) doesn't care about console sales anymore and a PS5 Pro won't have the same allure that the PS4 Pro did since all of their games are already on PC. They'll just try to make up the lost console sale revenue by raising prices again and milking existing console owners as much as they can.
like i said, without true exclusives, the value of the console revolves around the price of the box, PS5 should be costing $299 at this point to justify the purchase, it'll be very difficult to keep the sales pace with price at $449/$499, same as 2020 (in the case of the digital edition $50 more), PS4 was $299 in the same timeframe last gen

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Opinion: Monkeys may fly out of my butt in 2024

First of all, do you know what their sales targets even are?
Are we talking hardware, or targets for individual first party games?

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023

I don’t think discounts will get people to buy PS5 when they went 2023 & 2024 w 1 major AAA singleplayer game. At the end it comes to exclusive games, major games from key franchise & Sony doesn’t has them for 2 year in a row neither has Sony invested in PS. Also PS is porting there games to PC so it just makes potential Xbox, PC, Nintendo or PS (PS4) buy a PS console or migrate from previous PS console.

Nintendo release 3-5 Mario games not counting other games aswell as 2024 having already 3 Mario experience from this year including a Zelda game & more to come these are exclusive games (truly permanent exclusive) that can only be played on Nintendo switch which is why in year 7 Switch is still having really amazing & strong sells for there console

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
There has to be a price drop. Launch the PRo at the same price as the 2tb Series X and drop the OG PS5 to $50 cheaper than the S.

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
I think they will hit their target or come close to it because of the PS5 Pro that the hardcore will buy. The problem is that selling a second console to an existing customer doesn't grow the overall player base.

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
PS5 Pro, announcements of games from their bigger studios, a potential price cut, and Concord being fun could get PlayStation to meet their 2024 projections. Hell, even Lego Horizon could turn out better than people expect. It could be a great pack-in for PS5's. They're definitely gonna need a great holiday bundle now that COD is permanently spooning with Xbox hardware.

A lot of coulds though, which is indicative of a lot of uncertainties. The good news is it looks like Nintendo won't be launching the Switch 2 this year. That's gonna give the PS5 another holiday season all to itself, which is good news for growing the install base and finally leaving the PS4 in the past.

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
18 million shipped this FY.

I think they can reach it if they drop the price permanently. Otherwise gonna be tough imo.

Thanks. Yeeeah, I think they need a price drop, which might not be too bad if the Pro also makes it for this FY (based on rumors). I wouldn't be too surprised if they miss their targets given they've also reiterated a few times they don't have any "major" releases this year. But hey maybe an Astro + Lego Family bundle can do numbers for the holidays.

I think they will hit their target or come close to it because of the PS5 Pro that the hardcore will buy. The problem is that selling a second console to an existing customer doesn't grow the overall player base.

They still have a huge opportunity with existing PS4 owners given we know how many people haven't upgraded yet. So a Pro or price cut PS5 could be quite an incentive for them, but there's no big title to entice them which is the problem. I'm usually of the opinion that showcases don't matter TOO much but I do think they need a banger one right now.

Reactions: Evil Aloy

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
PS5 pro will likely safe face there numbers for 2024 if it wasn’t for the PS5 pro if it’s real numbers would’ve fell twice with them missing yearly target last year & this year.

Overall PS5 is doing good considering it’s $500 but if PS5 was $350 or $300 they would’ve been at 75+ million. The one issue with PS console is price & exclusive games. If PS had the PS5 at $350 or $300 & they didn’t port games to PC aswell as double down on there first party imagine how many consoles they would be selling & how many first party games they could sell per year. PS can beat the PS2 record 160+ million but with how Sony & PS leadership are heading I doubt that will ever happen such a shame because PS could make the PS platform look like it’s booming identical to Nintendo with less iconic ip & less first party which is impressive but instead they make there platform look weak & make it seem like they need PC to get extra revenue/profit which 3rd party Japanese publisher like Square, Sega & Capcom decided to focus on aswell.

Sony still hasn’t shown any reason to invest into PS for the next generation. They didn’t double down on PS studios nor bought a gaming publisher or notable studio. Sony should’ve double down on there key franchise instead of 1 GOW team build 2 new team to pump out more GOW games. Grant Turismo team is a 1 team studio for my knowledge make them a 2 team studio making GT sim & GT arcade/open world. There’s 1 Ratchet & Clank team make that 2 or 3 team the R&C universe has so much potential due to its sandbox. Apply it to most PS studios

Reactions: Evil Aloy

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
These guys think that first party games are the primary driver of console sales when they aren't. I think someone brought up Spider-Man 2. Spider-Man 2 sold about 12 million copies, yet we know that 60 million PS5s have sold. This represents only 20% of total PS5 users.

Sony knows exactly how many people already owned a PS5 and bought Spider-Man 2.

The primary driver of sales are 3rd party games. The bigger issue for PS5 is probably the lack of big new 3rd party games, this year.

These also mistakenly believe that only new games sell consoles as a multitude of these games are now GaaS and will continue to sell a similar rate annually.

We absolutely don't need 5 new doomsayer threads a day... can we package these into one official thread and keep them restricted to those?

This really poor poster making a really poor post that doesn't offer any specifics, because they're not try to be analytical or predictive, rather they're just trying to troll. What does this thread actually accomplish?

The PS5 sold 20.8 million units last year. A 30 percent drop in sales would put it at 14.56 million units. This would probably be in line with what we're seeing globally. 13.52 million (or 35%) if we're being on the aggressive end. The problem with this is that it ignores the reality of the PS5 Pro.

Can the PS5 Pro sell an additional 3.44 to 4.48 million units over 4-6 months? Even taking it at 4 months and 4.48 million units, that's only averaging 1.12 million units per month for 4 months, this assumes it launches in late November.

The PS5 currently has sold 60 million units (more really since these numbers were put out). If 1 out of every 13 PS5 owners jumps to buy a PS5 Pro, they'll easily hit those marks as net new sales. In reality it'll be a mix of new and old consumers, many of whom are waiting to buy the ps5 pro already.

Is this a guarantee that they hit their 18 million? No, but it's pretty silly to assume they won't and not offer any additional numbers, and even sillier to suggest that it could have if Helldivers had been exclusive. We don't need these posts...

• sad
Reactions: arvfab