Opinion: Playstation Will Miss Sales Targets for 2024

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I am quite angry Sony doesn’t have a AAA cutting edge, boundary pushing next gen only exclusive that owns the gaming zeitgeist every month. By this time last gen, I had hundreds of AAA cutting edge boundary pushing next gen only exclusives to choose from.
Once again games are taking longer than ever to make.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It’s kind of pointless to mention 3rd party games, when they’re also on Xbox and PC. A console library should be mostly defined by their exclusives.

Real life doesn't work like that.

Sony has more exclusives than Xbox even if they're cross platform and a console is a console and a PC is a PC.

You look at reviews on PC and its littered with people complaining about crashes and bugs. The console experience is far more consistent, affordable, and accessible.

The definition of generations within consoles is changing and people don't like that, but its the reality of technology and costs.

• sad
Reactions: arvfab

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Michael Patcher agrees, I don't.

I think they will achieve their hardware sales target because this year is more realistic, and that will continue breaking records in basically almost every single metric.

Having for this year TLOU2R, Helldivers 2, Pacific Drive, FFVII Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink, MLB, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Astro Bot, Concord, Zenless Zone Zero, Silent Hill 2, Lego Horizon, Until Dawn, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Marvel Vs Capcom Fighting Collection, some cool VR stuff like Metro Awakening and Alien VR plus many other exclusive and multiplatform great games and big sellers they'll have another great year.

Edit: new video highlighting some of the upcoming PS5 games for this year:

Last edited:

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Exactly, not movies/tv shows like Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, and Final Fantasy 7 rebirth.

.... of which only Helldivers 2 is made (relatively speaking, as they don't own Arrowhead) by them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
If they plan on 18 million, and they did around 20 this year, then they plan on a price cut or heavy promotions. I doubt they will reach their target but it does sound like a price cut of significance is in the cards.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think Sony will be completely wiped out, the company will implode, and all its staff and studios will be fired.

After that, a plague will infect them, followed by an asteroid and a tidal wave, these disasters will likely only hit players that bought a PS5.
Do you mean Sony could become a Kodak if they continue making what customers do not buy? I don't think so.
Sony will eventually learn and fix their shit. We will just have to wait 10 years or so before Sony is great again.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
If they plan on 18 million, and they did around 20 this year, then they plan on a price cut or heavy promotions. I doubt they will reach their target but it does sound like a price cut of significance is in the cards.
Did they say in April they expect lower sales because they will do less price promotions and instead making bigger profits by keeping the console at full price lol.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
They can still make there target they have time honestly as they could get aggressive during the Fall / Winter months. But with the penny pinchers and looters now at the helm... Who even knows how they will handle the Holidays.

And the PS5 Pro will not be a huge seller contrary to what many be thinking

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
if they have no showcase then they won't hit 15 million even, if there is a showcase then you can finally get the people who still have ps4's to move. I still believe Sony Corporate's biggest mistake is letting creatives have a lot of say in their plans. These people say that they love making videos games and are not in it for the money but fuckers can't be arsed to spend a couple of hours extra every week to get a trailer made for the showcase. Don't give the spiel about your love for making games in interviews with cucktaku then work the minimum viable hours to get your salary friggin hypocrites

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Umar

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
if they have no showcase then they won't hit 15 million even, if there is a showcase then you can finally get the people who still have ps4's to move. I still believe Sony Corporate's biggest mistake is letting creatives have a lot of say in their plans. These people say that they love making videos games and are not in it for the money but fuckers can't be arsed to spend a couple of hours extra every week to get a trailer made for the showcase. Don't give the spiel about your love for making games in interviews with cucktaku then work the minimum viable hours to get your salary friggin hypocrites
When are ya’ll going to understand that most casuals don’t give a F about these showcases. PS is not Nintendo. Most people don’t buy a PS for their 1st party. Casuals that have a PS4 are not going to move until GTA 6 comes, and COD, FC, and Fortnite moves to current Gen only. Also PS5 needs a price drop.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
When are ya’ll going to understand that most casuals don’t give a F about these showcases. PS is not Nintendo. Most people don’t buy a PS for their 1st party. Casuals that have a PS4 are not going to move until GTA 6 comes, and COD, FC, and Fortnite moves to current Gen only. Also PS5 needs a price drop.
I agree with what you said but that doesn't mean you shut up shop and wait for everyone's lord and saviour GTA 6 to come save your ass, if they put in the work they will get the results otherwise you end up like xbox and cry on podcasts about how big bad playstation makes it difficult for them to exist as a platform

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

Reactions: voke
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

The showcases get millions of views and word of mouth spreads, why do u guys act like its niche

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Michael Patcher agrees, I don't.

I think they will achieve their hardware sales target because this year is more realistic, and that will continue breaking records in basically almost every single metric.

Having for this year TLOU2R, Helldivers 2, Pacific Drive, FFVII Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink, MLB, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Astro Bot, Concord, Zenless Zone Zero, Silent Hill 2, Lego Horizon, Until Dawn, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Marvel Vs Capcom Fighting Collection, some cool VR stuff like Metro Awakening and Alien VR plus many other exclusive and multiplatform great games and big sellers they'll have another great year.

Edit: new video highlighting some of the upcoming PS5 games for this year:
Rule of thump with Patcher is:
Whatever he says, the opposite happens.

24 Jun 2022
It does actually. Generally these consumers will trade their old PS5s into retail and another segment of the market will buy these units used at discounted prices.

This absolutely grows the overall player base and does so in a way that doesn't cost additional operating costs to achieve.

Yet that also stagnates the MAU, because it's a lateral transfer from the PS5 to the PS5 Pro for that same individual. They aren't going to make two different accounts for two systems or especially spend 2x the money on games, 2 PS+ subscriptions etc. when they will just use the one system (PS5 Pro).

I don't think the PS5 Pro is going to be the magical stimulant for hardware sales people are thinking it'll be. Market conditions were way more favorable for the PS4 Pro back its launch: 4K growth, well-off PSVR, big 3P games around the launch, and more content differentiation (long-term/permanent exclusives) in the software library getting big performance boosts exclusive to the PS4 Pro.

PS5 Pro has none of those advantages going for it. Lifetime sales for PS4 Pro were ~ 20 million; if things persist with PS5 as they are, PS5 Pro will probably tap out around 10 - 12 million. Just a personal guess.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box and Danja