Opinion: Playstation Will Miss Sales Targets for 2024

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Don't insult users.
PS5 pro will likely safe face there numbers for 2024 if it wasn’t for the PS5 pro if it’s real numbers would’ve fell twice with them missing yearly target last year & this year.

Overall PS5 is doing good considering it’s $500 but if PS5 was $350 or $300 they would’ve been at 75+ million. The one issue with PS console is price & exclusive games. If PS had the PS5 at $350 or $300 & they didn’t port games to PC aswell as double down on there first party imagine how many consoles they would be selling & how many first party games they could sell per year. PS can beat the PS2 record 160+ million but with how Sony & PS leadership are heading I doubt that will ever happen such a shame because PS could make the PS platform look like it’s booming identical to Nintendo with less iconic ip & less first party which is impressive but instead they make there platform look weak & make it seem like they need PC to get extra revenue/profit which 3rd party Japanese publisher like Square, Sega & Capcom decided to focus on aswell.

Sony still hasn’t shown any reason to invest into PS for the next generation. They didn’t double down on PS studios nor bought a gaming publisher or notable studio. Sony should’ve double down on there key franchise instead of 1 GOW team build 2 new team to pump out more GOW games. Grant Turismo team is a 1 team studio for my knowledge make them a 2 team studio making GT sim & GT arcade/open world. There’s 1 Ratchet & Clank team make that 2 or 3 team the R&C universe has so much potential due to its sandbox. Apply it to most PS studios

Let's look at this posters mentality here. Let's assume for a second that the additional 15 million units sold were sold at 350 dollars rather than 500 dollars.

This poster doesn't realize that is an additional loss of 2.25 billion dollars on top of what they already lose on hardware.

You say Sony hasn't invested in PS, yet you want them to take a loss in the billions. You also fail to realize that Sony organically grew their internal studios significantly and bought a slew of new studios.

He offers simplistic views like, just double the size of the team and make two games. This poster is a child.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think they will hit their target or come close to it because of the PS5 Pro that the hardcore will buy. The problem is that selling a second console to an existing customer doesn't grow the overall player base.

It does actually. Generally these consumers will trade their old PS5s into retail and another segment of the market will buy these units used at discounted prices.

This absolutely grows the overall player base and does so in a way that doesn't cost additional operating costs to achieve.

Reactions: Evil Aloy

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Let's look at this posters mentality here. Let's assume for a second that the additional 15 million units sold were sold at 350 dollars rather than 500 dollars.

This poster doesn't realize that is an additional loss of 2.25 billion dollars on top of what they already lose on hardware.

You say Sony hasn't invested in PS, yet you want them to take a loss in the billions. You also fail to realize that Sony organically grew their internal studios significantly and bought a slew of new studios.

He offers simplistic views like, just double the size of the team and make two games. This poster is a child.
You do know that I know why PS5 price won’t go $300/$350 permanently? Same reason PSVR2 prices isn’t going below $550 permanently

Outside Housemorque & Bluepoint who has been making PS exclusive games for a long time I can’t name a new studio that was acquired who has brought anything positive or value to PS console or PS players

I would hope someone like you understand simple logic. There’s no way you thought I would recommend PS5 being priced at $300 without the obvious cost being loss. Sometime you gotta read some text as generalization

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob and Box

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Last warning. Don't insult users.
You do know that I know why PS5 price won’t go $300/$350 permanently? Same reason PSVR2 prices isn’t going below $550 permanently

Outside Housemorque & Bluepoint who has been making PS exclusive games for a long time I can’t name a new studio that was acquired who has brought anything positive or value to PS console or PS players

I would hope someone like you understand simple logic. There’s no way you thought I would recommend PS5 being priced at $300 without the obvious cost being loss. Sometime you gotta read some text as generalization

It's a clownish take. Why would Sony force sales at such a heavy cost knowing fully well GTA6 is going to sell PS5s at full price left and right?

You have a hard time understanding the cost-benefit ratio.

You also have a hard time understanding how long it takes to develop video games. You can buy a studio and you might not see a game release for 7 years. You could buy a studio and their first couple games aren't groundbreaking. You can buy a studio purely for support or other benefits.

Sony's investments in Firewalk, Haven, and Bungie, means that studios like Insomniac and Naughty Dog can continue to make single player AAA games and as you mentioned they bought housemarque (not housemorque, w/e the hell that is) and bluepoint, which will also help deliver single player games. You ignore significant investments in Sony VASG which helps them produce games faster as well.

When you look at Sucker Punch, they never did anything nearly as impactful as Ghost of Tsushima. That came nearly 20 years after Sly Copper... Horizon Zero Dawn outsold all of the Killzone games before it, again took nearly 20 years to get there.

At the end of the day, you're just a child, blind to reality, but you feel like you have a platform to rant on this forum, and I suppose you do. Mind you, you still won't say anything of substance.

• sad
Reactions: Zzero and arvfab

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Werent they suppose to sell PS5 Pro this year?
I mean its not a great year to release it with just Astrobot.

They will probably announce PS5 Pro on a blogpost and fanboys will say they did it based on internal research and having a show would do nothing based on tests….

No need for an event, people cant hold the informaion of getting Astrobot and a new console in the same show.!!...
Humans puny brains cant remember more then 1/2 games coming out at once and Sony cant handle that many products with release dates....

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Dont know if any of you noticed this, but Sony have just started selling Refurbished Ps5s for a lower price than the Ps5 slim and the Ps5's original price point before the price increase. I guess this will be the only way there will be a permanent price drop. Maybe next they will start selling used Ps5s for £299

Reactions: FatKaz

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
There is the PS5 Pro release and hopefully some hype to go along with it. In terms of games the rest of the year seems pretty weak but I don't have the pulse of the average gamer that likely cares about Star Wars, AC, CoD and so on way more than I do.

PS5 already feels stale and at the same time we barely had actual current gen games, this gen sucks for consoles.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Werent they suppose to sell PS5 Pro this year?
I mean its not a great year to release it with just Astrobot.

They will probably announce PS5 Pro on a blogpost and fanboys will say they did it based on internal research.

No need for an event, people cant hold the informaion of getting Astrobot and a new console in the same show.!!...
Humans puny brains cant remember more then 1/2 games coming out at once and Sony cant handle that many products with release dates....

We know Astrobot comes out on September 6th

PS5 Pro is more likely to come out in October or November.

If PS5 Pro were to launch with Astrobot, they'd need to announce it in August.

What games did the PS4 Pro launch with? What will you say when there is in fact an event?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
There is the PS5 Pro release and hopefully some hype to go along with it. In terms of games the rest of the year seems pretty weak but I don't have the pulse of the average gamer that likely cares about Star Wars, AC, CoD and so on way more than I do.

PS5 already feels stale and at the same time we barely had actual current gen games, this gen sucks for consoles.

The PS5 launch aligned has had significantly more hit games released than the PS4... These general statements never hold water and are always as vague as possible.

"This gen sucks for consoles"

What PS3 or PS4 games came out at this point that compare favorably with PS5?

I'd say PS5 stacks up as well as any gaming generation ever, but some "fans" are absolutely in their feels about things like cross gen, or multiplatform and that is saying something given how long it takes to develop games these days.

I blame really poor education systems.

• sad
Reactions: arvfab

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I am not much in it for sales metrics or doom posts but: PS5 will have a ''free holiday''
M&L Brothership and Zelda 2D great titles but are not going to move insane numbers like other franchises of Nintendo + it's the last year before Switch 2 comes out.

Xbox got Avowed and Indi Jones which both imo don't seem impressive, their ace is CoD on GP, so interesting to see how that will move. Then again selling a $600 Series X or $350 Series S when you can get a PS5 digital for $400.. My take is CoD players are not going to buy a new console and subscribe to GP yearly basis to ''save'' money. It's either a lifeline for Xbox or it's literally over.

Regarding PS, if they wanna hit it it should do similar numbers last year during the holidays (8,3 million, 7,1 million the year before). Sony was very bullish on EU last year (since they neglected that market for shipment to US first 2 years) also had bundles of FF16, SM2, CoD and Avatar so this year they will only have Astrobot which could potentially turn out GOTY. Concord? I think it appeals to more mainstream than people think. Shooters have been really unappealing and under-performing/represented this entire gen, since PS have freed up marketing budget from CoD I am curious if they are going to replace it with Concord.

Think the way to discount on the standard -50 (the release price lol) is throw a pack in game, so a family friendly bundle with Astro + Lego Horizon would be great or Astro + Ratchet. Add Concord to the Fifa bundle, SM2 bundle. PS5 Pro will also add a few million.

If they hit the number, it would be close to 80 million, that's a great number of install base base to have before GTA6 comes out to boost it, then strategically sell your 1st party in the works. Sony's strategy is very obvious.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
PlayStation is massive and they already have some of the top selling games this year, luckily they don't depend on one or two games. So even if one doesn't hit expectations, it shouldn't have a very negative effect.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
The PS5 launch aligned has had significantly more hit games released than the PS4... These general statements never hold water and are always as vague as possible.

"This gen sucks for consoles"

What PS3 or PS4 games came out at this point that compare favorably with PS5?

I'd say PS5 stacks up as well as any gaming generation ever, but some "fans" are absolutely in their feels about things like cross gen, or multiplatform and that is saying something given how long it takes to develop games these days.

I blame really poor education systems.
Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, and HZD came out by this time. I agree with you though, the Doom and Gloom around the PS5 is stupid. The game hits will come. It’s just that games are taking longer this Gen.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Not sure that holds up to Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3, Hogwarts Legacy not to mention Horizon Forbidden West, GT7, Spider-Man 2, God of War Ragnarok.
I was talking about 1st party Next Gen exclusives. ER and BG3 are 3rd party. HFW, GT7, and Ragnarok are Cross Gen.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
PlayStation is massive and they already have some of the top selling games this year, luckily they don't depend on one or two games. So even if one doesn't hit expectations, it shouldn't have a very negative effect.

That extends even further with a GaaS strategy to ensure consistent and constant cash flow.

Single player AAA studios don't see positive cash flow for years at a time...

Which is also why they need transmedia strategies, which are also under attack by simpletons.

Sony hasn't done everything perfectly this generation, but overall PS5 is probably their strongest generation. They made some big mistakes on VR for example but at the end of the day who cares about VR? It was a nice to have from the get go.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I was talking about 1st party Next Gen exclusives. ER and BG3 are 3rd party. HFW, GT7, and Ragnarok are Cross Gen.

All games are going to be cross generation from now on, so it is an apples and oranges comparison.

Also not sure how a game being first or third party impacts how well someone enjoys the game.

• sad
Reactions: arvfab

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I am quite angry Sony doesn’t have a AAA cutting edge, boundary pushing next gen only exclusive that owns the gaming zeitgeist every month. By this time last gen, I had hundreds of AAA cutting edge boundary pushing next gen only exclusives to choose from.

Reactions: Danja1187
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I am quite angry Sony doesn’t have a AAA cutting edge, boundary pushing next gen only exclusive that owns the gaming zeitgeist every month. By this time last gen, I had hundreds of AAA cutting edge boundary pushing next gen only exclusives to choose from.

I miss when Sony used to make games

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Doesn't seems like.

Different from the high target of the last FY this one is very reasonable.
They will probably beat it.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
All games are going to be cross generation from now on, so it is an apples and oranges comparison.

Also not sure how a game being first or third party impacts how well someone enjoys the game.
It’s kind of pointless to mention 3rd party games, when they’re also on Xbox and PC. A console library should be mostly defined by their exclusives.

Reactions: arvfab and Box