PC Gamer: PC gamers are getting fed up with one shitty port after another, "there's something wrong with practically every major release"

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Whether we like it or not, PC players have to get used to stuttering being an ongoing problem, and one that's not likely to be solved in 2023.
PC gaming is the worst way to play modern games.
  • Steam reviewers lambasted Forspoken for looking worse than its trailers—and worse than contemporary open world games—while being basically as demanding as Cyberpunk 2077
  • Sony's first big PC port, Horizon Zero Dawn, launched with substantial issues, including broken anisotropic filtering and poor borderless windowed performance, though it was much improved through patches
  • HD remasters of classic games inevitably seem flawed in some way that modders have to fix: Ninja Gaiden Collection and Chrono Cross are offenders from the last two years
  • The Callisto Protocol had a severe stuttering issue at launch due to a file mix-up, which was, at least, quickly patched
  • Gotham Knights pushed high-end hardware despite having a more barren, less attractive open world than 7-year-old Arkham Knight
  • Hogwarts Legacy, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Stray, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, and Evil West are all Unreal Engine 4 games that have launched with stuttering issues
  • Elden Ring, a year after launch, still exhibits similar stuttering problems—particularly disappointing in a game hard locked to 60 fps
  • Midnight Suns saw a framerate boost from disabling 2K's annoying launcher
  • Dead Space launched with fuzzy textures thanks to variable rate shading, as well as stuttering, though a patch quickly fixed the first issue
Getting into PC gaming is a major regret of mine.

Well, there it is. The truth finally comes out and we start to realize just how miserable PC gamers are nowadays. Could explain a lot about why they're always so bitter and demanding.

The PC gaming platform... is over in 2023. Straight up over.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
I'm having great fun on PC, but I don't care about these types of games.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Huh? We are insufferable because devs are incompetent? Good reasoning.
Nah. They're just saying that because they're mad and angry that Sony is all about making money and they're feeling annoyed because Sony's so called "exclusives" are now arriving on PC. Let them stay angry, they don't know how to look in the mirror and self reflect. Plastic box fanboyism runs deep in their blood.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That was always the case for PC.
Because you can patch it later.

Consoles started to have the same issue after PS360 gen with download patches but even so a single platforms are easier to stress bugs than PC.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Huh? We are insufferable because devs are incompetent? Good reasoning.
I think it's because of the "PC master race" and the "console peasants"? I dunno, we gamers argue all the time. It is hard to keep up.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Welcome to PC gaming: technical issues or optimization issues and games requiring hardware way more powerful than the one you have.

Wait for patches and driver updates to see if your lucky, or upgrade the hardware. Or play (at least the AAA games) on a console.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The pc architecture is essentially legacy duct taped together. Each seperate thing may be fast, but there is no harmony when all bought together as a “system”.

Makes me wonder if there is opportunity for a PC2.0 essentially mimicking the high efficiency and elegance of a console. Problem is, every manufacturer wants to sell their own seperate shit.

Imagine what a PlayStation with the horsepower of an i9 and an rtx4090 could deliver. Of course it would need to be baseline target to be used properly too.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The pc architecture is essentially legacy duct taped together. Each seperate thing may be fast, but there is no harmony when all bought together as a “system”.

Makes me wonder if there is opportunity for a PC2.0 essentially mimicking the high efficiency and elegance of a console. Problem is, every manufacturer wants to sell their own seperate shit.

Imagine what a PlayStation with the horsepower of an i9 and an rtx4090 could deliver. Of course it would need to be baseline target to be used properly too.
Yeah, I have no idea because I don't work on PC game programming, but it kinda DOES feel like it might be suffering from it all having to run on Windows these days. There is just no way to make like a console and you're throwing all this high powered GPU/CPU hardware into a box where what they actually care about is running Office.

Some people are saying incompetent devs, but they can't all be incompetent can they? Is it perhaps just a byproduct of the environment the games have to run in?

Not sure there is a good solution for MS in regards to all this but hey, like I said, I know jack squat.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
who is there on the PC side to pay for marketing rights, fight against piracy offer technical support?

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Yeah, I have no idea because I don't work on PC game programming, but it kinda DOES feel like it might be suffering from it all having to run on Windows these days. There is just no way to make like a console and you're throwing all this high powered GPU/CPU hardware into a box where what they actually care about is running Office.

Some people are saying incompetent devs, but they can't all be incompetent can they? Is it perhaps just a byproduct of the environment the games have to run in?

Not sure there is a good solution for MS in regards to all this but hey, like I said, I know jack squat.
Tim Sweeney explained it succinctly about how on PC data needs to travel and be processed along the way from secondary storage onto the GPU/screen. A single resource free direct operation on console is multiple steps on pc and the latency it involves.

I’m not fully sure why shaders cannot be fully or at least successfully compiled on pc, that’s a secondary issue.

At the end of the day, as games get more demanding with their memory requirements and dynamism with details and density increasing, pc setup is simply not ideal for new gen games.

Last Gen when games were designed around slow I/o and poor CPU’s - vastly faster pc’s could crush ports via sheer brute force. Not any longer.

Reactions: VillaiN

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Tim Sweeney explained it succinctly about how on PC data needs to travel and be processed along the way from secondary storage onto the GPU/screen. A single resource free direct operation on console is multiple steps on pc and the latency it involves.

I’m not fully sure why shaders cannot be fully or at least successfully compiled on pc, that’s a secondary issue.

At the end of the day, as games get more demanding with their memory requirements and dynamism with details and density increasing, pc setup is simply not ideal for new gen games.

Last Gen when games were designed around slow I/o and poor CPU’s - vastly faster pc’s could crush ports via sheer brute force. Not any longer.
Makes complete sense.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023

Great post.

Reactions: Shmunter

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Windows being the foundation the Xbox is built on is probably the main reason for the performance issues. This is reinforced by Xbox versions of some games having the identical performance problems on Windows PC builds.

Windows is shit. Some code goes all the way back to 1982, and the kernel itself has things in it, or required by it, that simply serve no purpose on the Xbox, but they’ve never put the work in to actually make a fully-customized operating system for their console.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Windows is shit. Some code goes all the way back to 1982, and the kernel itself has things in it, or required by it, that simply serve no purpose on the Xbox,
Windows NT was made available in 1993, the same year as FreeBSD which is used in OSX and ps4/5.

Reactions: Satoru

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Not sure if this should be discussed here but the latest mess on PC is Wo-lang: fallen dynasty demo! It’s almost unplayable.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
A lot of devs just cant be asked to bother optmising their game for pc knowing how much of a pain and headache that can be

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
It comes with being part of the open platform. Its always been like this. The fine print.