PC Gamer: PC gamers are getting fed up with one shitty port after another, "there's something wrong with practically every major release"

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Tim Sweeney explained it succinctly about how on PC data needs to travel and be processed along the way from secondary storage onto the GPU/screen. A single resource free direct operation on console is multiple steps on pc and the latency it involves.

I’m not fully sure why shaders cannot be fully or at least successfully compiled on pc, that’s a secondary issue.

At the end of the day, as games get more demanding with their memory requirements and dynamism with details and density increasing, pc setup is simply not ideal for new gen games.

Last Gen when games were designed around slow I/o and poor CPU’s - vastly faster pc’s could crush ports via sheer brute force. Not any longer.
The reason why is because consumer grade PC parts are now watered down server parts. R&D is getting so expensive that they're just porting things or cutting parts down from the real money-making segments which is the corporate/business market.

Reactions: Shmunter

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Yeah, I have no idea because I don't work on PC game programming, but it kinda DOES feel like it might be suffering from it all having to run on Windows these days. There is just no way to make like a console and you're throwing all this high powered GPU/CPU hardware into a box where what they actually care about is running Office.

Some people are saying incompetent devs, but they can't all be incompetent can they? Is it perhaps just a byproduct of the environment the games have to run in?

Not sure there is a good solution for MS in regards to all this but hey, like I said, I know jack squat.
Basically, the multiple times MS promised a ground-up recode of Windows to fix all the problems and ended up giving up every time should tell you what a mess Windows is.

There’s still code in Windows 11 that dates back to 1981. Think about how far computing has advanced in the last decade, then consider that the pace of evolution in computing has accelerated every year in the last 50 years. Code from 42 years ago is like cave paintings, but that’s what anything being made for Windows has to deal with.