PCs will be the ideal platform for Sony devs over the PS5

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13

All:

This is a click-bait thread so if you can stomach some of my claims, you are more than welcome to participate in this comparison. However, if it develops some hatred for what I'm about to claim, then ignore the thread.

With the leak of Returnal's graphics settings in the port of the PC version, we've finally made the biggest fear of Sony gamers about this shift in porting to PC come true. Before, most people were assuming that the PC ports will only have small incremental changes to the graphics settings from the PS5 such as high resolution resolution framebuffers, faster FPS, and a few features that crank up the quality of the rendered images like 16x anisotropic filtering, higher LOD, etc.. Now we are seeing the full power of high-end GPUs being put to use. Ray-tracing features for Returnal are coming to the PC that are not available for the PS5 (shadows, reflections and lighting).

This is the biggest concern for Sony fans about the porting because with Sony doing this, it's letting gamers know what their primary platform of choice will be. If other developers follow suit with their ports (ND, Insomniac, GG, etc..), it will be made clear that Sony devs will utilize the power of the high-end GPUs and generate true next-gen features for the PC over the PS5. I believe this will start to pick up steam by year end of 2023 and we'll see closer release dates on top of significant graphical enhancements that will be noticeable across the board.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
Do we know who is doing the porting of Returnal? It is Nixxes?

If so, it looks like Sony might be giving their porting studio the same kind free reign as they do their other top-tier studios.

I have no issue with Sony porting their games and maxing out the capabilities of the PC platform as much as they can. It doesn't make me enjoy my PS5 any less. In fact, I love being able to re-experience the games I love on the PC at much improved fidelity.

we'll see closer release dates

I still don't know about that. We haven't yet seen any first party games released that have release less than 2 years after PS5, other than remakes. Sackboy being the first if rumours are true and it's coming out in October 22. It was a PS5 launch title in 2020. I think it's unrealistic to believe that Sony will cannabalise their PS5 first-part game sales with PC releases less than 1 year after release on PS5. I think 18 months is the sweet spot, but I believe Sony are being very strategic about it and some games will never come to PC, so customers will never be able to automatically presume a PC port will get made and therefore never even bothering with the PS5.

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
oh my lord.................HELL NO

6Th1.gif

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
When Sony releases a launcher in PC where they don’t have to give 30% Steam then it could be a ideal business platform.

But even so the lower volume sales won’t make it… it will always have way lower revenue and profit compared to PS5.

Sony knows that… they want to increase revenue in PC but they never expected it to reach console levels that is impossible.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
It's an extra revenue source and PS5 will be the primary platform for Sony.

That doesn't mean games won't have a few more graphical features on PC.. but any Sony fan who cries about that is a retard fanboy. Any PC gamer rubbing it in people's faces has issues too.

PS5 is still a fantastic machine.

I paid $400 for mine.. 400 freaking dollars lol..

As far as release windows? Ignoring GAAS games that probably will have no/short windows... Sony will test the waters... but that's it.. and we are already a decent way into the generation... so if Sony is being cautious, it'll probably be the end of the gen before we even see anything like a 1 year release window.

But who knows? I think anyone confident either way is basing that on emotion not facts.. Sony clearly is still cautious about PC, and is testing the effect these releases have on their games.

TBH Returnal is small beans.. so are games like Sackboy.. the real test will be GOW Ragnarok.

Reactions: 8BiTw0LF
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

I still don't know about that. We haven't yet seen any first party games released that have release less than 2 years after PS5, other than remakes. Sackboy being the first if rumours are true and it's coming out in October 22. It was a PS5 launch title in 2020. I think it's unrealistic to believe that Sony will cannabalise their PS5 first-part game sales with PC releases less than 1 year after release on PS5. I think 18 months is the sweet spot, but I believe Sony are being very strategic about it and some games will never come to PC, so customers will never be able to automatically presume a PC port will get made and therefore never even bothering with the PS5.
I think 1yr is the sweet spot imo. And yes, not all the PS exclusives will be ported. I don't see Demon Souls being ported over for some reason. Only the big name titles.

Reactions: LED
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

When Sony releases a launcher in PC where they don’t have to give 30% Steam then it could be a ideal business platform.
Interesting take! I actually can agree with that. But how many PC gamers would want to use PS launcher over Steam?

But even so the lower volume sales won’t make it… it will always have way lower revenue and profit compared to PS5.
I'm mainly talking about the developers making the games. So not Sony perse but Naughty Dog might..

Reactions: LED

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I mean, if you're paying 1500 bucks for just a GPU in your system, I hope you're getting something for it.

I still don't see the controversy of the PC having better graphics. It's one of the major points of going with that platform.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Interesting take! I actually can agree with that. But how many PC gamers would want to use PS launcher over Steam?

I'm mainly talking about the developers making the games. So not Sony perse but Naughty Dog might..
I don't know... these that really want to play the games on PC will buy it on PS launcher?
It probably won't work if you release on PS launcher and Steam... that way PC gamers will choose Steam but when your only option is PS launcher...

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Yes, everything's better on PC. We know. When you have a 1600 dollar gpu in your system it's safe to say it's gonna look better than the console that has to stay under the limit of 400 dollars
Here's the reality though, that $500 limit is complete BS. That's not the cost of what these things are or what it takes to manufacture them, the PlayStation 5 and Series X are without a doubt a few hundred more than they are charged for.

Console manufacturers eat cost because they have software to make money on. You never see the real price of what these things cost, in the PC market the entirety of the cost is offloaded to the customer.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Here's the reality though, that $500 limit is complete BS. That's not the cost of what these things are or what it takes to manufacture them, the PlayStation 5 and Series X are without a doubt a few hundred more than they are charged for.

Console manufacturers eat cost because they have software to make money on. You never see the real price of what these things cost, in the PC market the entirety of the cost is offloaded to the customer.
sit down, you spreading completely FUD.

go, do your homework.