Pete Hines "Retiring"...

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Wow. I would joke about this that both Pete and Todd would quit due to gamepass and less sales … but there’s it is…

Reactions: Jim Ryan

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan always spot on. Even tho is a dick head that dude knows business. Next Activision

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Mikami never announced retirement. That was just xbot damage control.

I wouldn’t doubt that Pete Hines is actually retiring from the industry. But it’s kinda difficult to not view it negatively considering the well documented exodus of talent post every Microsoft gaming acquisition (not including layoffs).

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Mikami never announced retirement. That was just xbot damage control.

I wouldn’t doubt that Pete Hines is actually retiring from the industry. But it’s kinda difficult to not view it negatively considering the well documented exodus of talent post every Microsoft gaming acquisition (not including layoffs).
Pete already said “this isn’t the last of me you’ll see” , which means once his non compete ends he’ll be working somewhere else

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Playstation should scoop him up for a new studio.

No, as much as I didn't hate pete hines, community wise people who were fans of Fallout and wanted more from the game hated Pete.

He's also the reason perception on what Happened to hostile take over at Human Head studios was as bad as it was.

• Informative
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
I will use some Xbots way of thinking here - That's false because he only wants to retire because he is old. He wants to retire because MS bought Bethesda and Starfield ended like pure shit. :/

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Abandon Ship GIF

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You finally said something reasonable xD.

He might have some strong insight on WRPGs that could be helpful for certain Sony 1P that want to venture more fully into that genre type, or to help Sony solidify partnerships or M&A strategies of WRPG developers like CDPR or Larian.

It's just a bit funny that both him and Bobby Kotick are out, but the worst CEO among the three (Phil Spencer) is trucking along just fine. Nepotism in some form, at its finest.

At this point it has to be some form of nepotism. He must have some really strong bonds with Satya, Smith and/or members of Microsoft's BoD, because his position seems ironclad.
Well, not exactly nepotism since he doesn't have family there but, based on the video from the ex-Xbox staffer that recently came out, it definitely seems to be some form of cronyism throughout the entire department. That would certainly explain people like Phil keeping their jobs while failing upwards.

Which, I'm pretty sure, is what you meant.