Pete Hines "Retiring"...

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
no, no…retiring is code for fired now, didn’t you hear
In Pete Hine's case, unlike Jim Ryan's, it could very well be a case of him being pushed. We know from leaked emails and his testimony that he objected to the hamfisted approach Microsoft took to ripping games off PlayStation after the Zenimax acquisition. I wouldn't be surprised to see Harvey Smith from Arkane leave soon, too, for his honesty. Mikami and Nakamura both left Tango after the acquisition, and Mikami clearly did it to get away from Microsoft.

I can't imagine ABK will stay intact either.

Ruinous strategy that, buying devs and pubs who enjoy the success developing for PlayStation has brought them, only to remove that joy and replace it with the horror of forced parity with XSS.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
In Pete Hine's case, unlike Jim Ryan's, it could very well be a case of him being pushed. We know from leaked emails and his testimony that he objected to the hamfisted approach Microsoft took to ripping games off PlayStation after the Zenimax acquisition. I wouldn't be surprised to see Harvey Smith from Arkane leave soon, too, for his honesty. Mikami and Nakamura both left Tango after the acquisition, and Mikami clearly did it to get away from Microsoft.

I can't imagine ABK will stay intact either.

Ruinous strategy that, buying devs and pubs who enjoy the success developing for PlayStation has brought them, only to remove that joy and replace it with the horror of forced parity with XSS.
We definitely can't deny it's odd that he "chose" to retire days after the ABK merger was approved knowing full well his stance on what went on in the trial.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You finally said something reasonable xD.

He might have some strong insight on WRPGs that could be helpful for certain Sony 1P that want to venture more fully into that genre type, or to help Sony solidify partnerships or M&A strategies of WRPG developers like CDPR or Larian.

It's just a bit funny that both him and Bobby Kotick are out, but the worst CEO among the three (Phil Spencer) is trucking along just fine. Nepotism in some form, at its finest.

At this point it has to be some form of nepotism. He must have some really strong bonds with Satya, Smith and/or members of Microsoft's BoD, because his position seems ironclad.
I think he might have some big dirt on microsoft, i have no idea how phil still has a job after continuously failing for 10 years straight

Reactions: Edmund
24 Jun 2022
Well, not exactly nepotism since he doesn't have family there but, based on the video from the ex-Xbox staffer that recently came out, it definitely seems to be some form of cronyism throughout the entire department. That would certainly explain people like Phil keeping their jobs while failing upwards.

Which, I'm pretty sure, is what you meant.

Yep, that was the word, describes it much better. Though, with how weird some Xbox fanboys out here are, actually calling Phil their dad, it does make me wonder if Phil feels similar to higher-ups at Microsoft 🤔...

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
First of many to be sure

As soon as they fulfill whatever part of their contract gets them their acquisition pay day fully paid out, they are gone

Xbox are going to have some real albatrosses on their neck and no talent to maintain these companies without the people that were there

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
But hey, they got a bunch of IPs to put on social media every time they promote rentpass.

Like that picture of Captain Wood? from COD, that Starcraft guy, Lilith D4, Doomguy, Elder scrolls logo, Fallout mascot, Warcraft, Crash, Spyro, bla bla

Like shit, you created none of that, you just bought successful legacy without knowing what made it success. Even the three franchises you known for, 2 of them are not from you and when you have create your own spin on it, mediocre or just outright shit.

aeven the original creator of the IP that put you on the map crawled to Sony for their new game. Biblical

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Well, not exactly nepotism since he doesn't have family there but, based on the video from the ex-Xbox staffer that recently came out, it definitely seems to be some form of cronyism throughout the entire department. That would certainly explain people like Phil keeping their jobs while failing upwards.

Which, I'm pretty sure, is what you meant.
Phil is a good captain, he is not leaving his ship while it's sinking... This is not to say that he didn't sabotage it, but he is not leaving.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Phil is a good captain, he is not leaving his ship while it's sinking... This is not to say that he didn't sabotage it, but he is not leaving.
Why would an incompetent leave when they are getting promoted? The point is he deserves to be fired.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Je just talk. He doesn't know know how to make games. Dude is a fraud
He does know how to make games, the problem is he only knows how to make the kind that got outdated by 2015, and he refuses to go beyond that

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
He does know how to make games, the problem is he only knows how to make the kind that got outdated by 2015, and he refuses to go beyond that
I font know. I feel like he just say what he wants and hope everyone makes. I mean you can see from that interview he lie about a mission you would randomly board enemies ship. Also he looks fresh fir a game developer. Everyone that makes games looks like shit during the development

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
To be fair, they likely don't have need for him. His role overlaps with several internal roles at Xbox/Microsoft already. That being said, Hines (a massive asshole) has been with Bethesda for a long time so it is a significant change.

Reactions: Luffy123