Peter Moore former VP at MSFT: Final Console Generation, MS 3rd Party, putting Halo on PS, leaving the market & whether there is a need for consoles.

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Having Peter do this PR / “Journalist” push vs Phil or Bond is very telling. Did they realize that the discourse they want to create (consoles are outdated, and we shoud all be playing using the cloud) would be more newsworthy if given by Moore than the existing leadership? Is this the start of their attempt this year to rally the paid jouralism troops to create FUD in light of the PS Pro / PS6 / Switch 2? Really feels like it to me.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
So you would embrace a PlayStation launcher on PC, where Sony can release their games exclusively on it?
In general I don't want more launchers on PC, specifically because they fracture the gaming experience. It's not good for us to have a bunch of different cloistered silos of gaming. It's better if there's one version of the game and one player base.

There's a way for Sony to keep designing their own user experiences without fracturing gaming as an ecosystem. I outlined it in my "What I would do if i was in charge at Playstation" post.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony and MS by their own executive statements are experiencing the same issues with hardware production costs. It makes sense they would be since their consoles are like 95% identical inside.

Nintendo, go with god on that. There's intelligence in selling extremely outdated hardware for 2024 money. I agree they are more buffered from the nasty trends because of that. But also I would never buy their shit for the same reason. If you like it, good for you.
The vast, and I mean vast majority of people buy and play video games for fun. They are not loser hardware dorks who obsess over perceived value for hardware performance, getting off on specs but not caring if the software actually performs well, or if there is even good software to buy.

This is something that some people just can't seem to wrap their minds around, all the way from forum dwellers up to the very top of Xbox leadership. Kinda strange, that.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
In general I don't want more launchers on PC, specifically because they fracture the gaming experience. It's not good for us to have a bunch of different cloistered silos of gaming. It's better if there's one version of the game and one player base.

There's a way for Sony to keep designing their own user experiences without fracturing gaming as an ecosystem. I outlined it in my "What I would do if i was in charge at Playstation" post.
Ridiculous. What you're suggesting is gaming totalitarianism, controlled by Gabe Newell. Get out of here with that complete bull.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022

Why? PC is the platform (or either: Windows is), and launchers are just a way for publishers to deliver their games. Wouldn't be much different than starting the Netflix app or the Diseny+ app to watch something, right?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Ridiculous. What you're suggesting is gaming totalitarianism, controlled by Gabe Newell. Get out of here with that complete bull.
X86 totalitarian which we defacto have anyway, not steam. Games can be made to support the features of whichever platform while running one code base. Like the difference between a PC game on Game pass vs the same game on Steam

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Microsoft definitely wasn't contemplating putting halo on playstation , it was going to be on playstation till Microsoft bought them , but the reason Microsoft got into consoles in the first place was to get playstation out of people's living rooms & replace them lol

When MS started Xbox, they were pretty explicit that computers were going to come to the livingroom, and they needed to be there. 20 years later, computers did come to the livingroom, but not mainly as videogame consoles. It's more SmartTV apps, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, etc. So the strategic value of specifically Xbox to Microsoft is ambiguous. I think it's less a trojan horse now, and more a straight up publisher strategy.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Well PS5 should definitely take the incremental upgrade path going forward. There's no need for a hard reset any time soon especially with how lackluster Sony has been with utilizing it's own console this generation.

PS6 will definitely face an uphill battle sales wise, so might as well delay the inevitable for a while
PS6 will probably cost 600 - 700 dollars, they won't be able to subsidise the console anymore, but the good thing is that they'll be almost alone in the high end console market, since Microsoft is stepping out of it.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
The end of Xbox consoles is near. Peter knows.

PlayStation has decades ahead though and it's in Microsofts interest for PS6 + to succeed.

They will have a symbiotic relationship.
it is because they need the money PS6 will bring to their 35+ studios now, they need that money to sustain them

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

So it's bad for consoles to have the one version of the game and one player base, but it's ok for pc to have it? You contradict yourself at every turn.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Having Peter do this PR / “Journalist” push vs Phil or Bond is very telling. Did they realize that the discourse they want to create (consoles are outdated, and we shoud all be playing using the cloud) would be more newsworthy if given by Moore than the existing leadership? Is this the start of their attempt this year to rally the paid jouralism troops to create FUD in light of the PS Pro / PS6 / Switch 2? Really feels like it to me.
they'll be the next Stadia, gamers are not ready to make the transition to Cloud, numbers don't lie almost 60M PS5s sold and only 10M XCloud users across Console, PC, Cloud, Mobile and Smart TVs should tell you everything

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023

you guys LOVE monopolies when it comes to PC and Steam right? LOVE...

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
Some juicy stuff in there, simply adore the idea of Peter Moore cosplaying as Ken Kutaragi - I would have given anything to see that play out over a few days :D

And then if you're Microsoft and you're Phil Spencer, you've got Satya Nadella coming in and saying, alright, what is the future here and how does this play into the biggest strategy of cloud with Azure, with AI? What are we doing with AI game development? How do you make your games faster, cheaper, with less people? These are all the questions I think are being asked.

Sounds fucking hideous, gruesome even. An avalanche of soulless "it'd be a great fit for Game Pass" garbo, keep turning that handle and churning out shite 'cause some of it is bound to blow up and make us billions!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sloane_Ranger