Peter Moore former VP at MSFT: Final Console Generation, MS 3rd Party, putting Halo on PS, leaving the market & whether there is a need for consoles.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The broader picture — and we certainly feared during my time even at Microsoft — we were saying then, in 2007, is this the last console generation?

So now we know where all the "console is dead/dying" FUD was coming from all this time.

I cannot stress this enough, I despise Microsoft as a company, they ruin everything they touch.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
you guys LOVE monopolies when it comes to PC and Steam right? LOVE...
i don't think anyone would like it if 3 more tech giants entered the console space with separate digital libraries, accounts, friends lists, exclusives, accessories, etc. there is value to having a single standard that brings everyone together. it doesn't have to be a corporate monopoly behind it. I want STANDARDS, not monopolies.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Hey what if phones cease to exist? You know why not just make them all cloud devices.

Why do people even want gaming PCs? Just put it all in the cloud. Or PCs in general all you need is a screen.

Oh too soon tech isn’t there yet? Funny that.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I want STANDARDS, not monopolies.

You should play DIN and ISO then

I don't think anyone would like it if 3 more tech giants entered the console space with separate digital libraries, accounts, friends lists, exclusives, accessories, etc

Wrong. Good competition (not the toxic one brought by MS) could lead to better products for everyone, as any of them would have to fight for the consumer's money.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
You should play DIN and ISO then

Wrong. Good competition (not the toxic one brought by MS) could lead to better products for everyone, as any of them would have to fight for the consumer's money.
period

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Hey what if phones cease to exist? You know why not just make them all cloud devices.

Why do people even want gaming PCs? Just put it all in the cloud. Or PCs in general all you need is a screen.

Oh too soon tech isn’t there yet? Funny that.
Why stop there , let's all just get microchips implanted in our craniums

24 Jun 2022
PS6 will probably cost 600 - 700 dollars, they won't be able to subsidise the console anymore, but the good thing is that they'll be almost alone in the high end console market, since Microsoft is stepping out of it.

A PS6 that just pushes prettier PS5 games (and doesn't adapt any of the QOL features from platforms like Steam currently missing with PS5, for example) will have a hard time selling even if there is no direct competitor anymore. Because Xbox isn't the only competition for Sony, even if other competitors are not as direct with it as Microsoft's Xbox is/has been.

And especially at $600-$700, a PS6 that can only offer prettier graphics & faster loading while missing said QOL features, with 1P games that take even longer to make and then still go to PC after a year or two (or even Day 1 potentially, as already is with GAAS), is not going to magically flourish just because Microsoft might not have a next-gen Xbox console.

In fact in that scenario new Xbox hardware that was like gaming-centric mini-PCs/NUC/tablet/laptop/handheld devices (like I speculated they could do going forward sticking with hardware while leaving traditional consoles, the caveat being those boxes would also be running Windows and price higher than consoles since they don't have to be subsidized), could probably greatly expediate PS console install decline. It'd be 1: offering something new besides just prettier graphics and, 2: have the benefit of also functioning like a PC, but with a console-style UI. Only limitation would be price (addressable with cheaper models of lower specs & less customizations) and volume (addressable with doing 3P OEM contracts for variants).

That's why I've been saying, people have to stop thinking PlayStation's only competition is Xbox consoles, because Xbox consoles that become "Xbox PCs", would end up having a lot more value by default especially if Sony's PC initiative remains unchanged or gets more aggressive over time. That's not even to mention Nintendo and Valve. So thinking a $699 PS6 that's just a PS5 with better graphics and storage speed will suddenly "do much better" without Xbox consoles to compete against, is actually rather crazy to me.

Reactions: flaccidsnake
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
A PS6 that just pushes prettier PS5 games (and doesn't adapt any of the QOL features from platforms like Steam currently missing with PS5, for example) will have a hard time selling even if there is no direct competitor anymore. Because Xbox isn't the only competition for Sony, even if other competitors are not as direct with it as Microsoft's Xbox is/has been.

And especially at $600-$700, a PS6 that can only offer prettier graphics & faster loading while missing said QOL features, with 1P games that take even longer to make and then still go to PC after a year or two (or even Day 1 potentially, as already is with GAAS), is not going to magically flourish just because Microsoft might not have a next-gen Xbox console.

In fact in that scenario new Xbox hardware that was like gaming-centric mini-PCs/NUC/tablet/laptop/handheld devices (like I speculated they could do going forward sticking with hardware while leaving traditional consoles, the caveat being those boxes would also be running Windows and price higher than consoles since they don't have to be subsidized), could probably greatly expediate PS console install decline. It'd be 1: offering something new besides just prettier graphics and, 2: have the benefit of also functioning like a PC, but with a console-style UI. Only limitation would be price (addressable with cheaper models of lower specs & less customizations) and volume (addressable with doing 3P OEM contracts for variants).

That's why I've been saying, people have to stop thinking PlayStation's only competition is Xbox consoles, because Xbox consoles that become "Xbox PCs", would end up having a lot more value by default especially if Sony's PC initiative remains unchanged or gets more aggressive over time. That's not even to mention Nintendo and Valve. So thinking a $699 PS6 that's just a PS5 with better graphics and storage speed will suddenly "do much better" without Xbox consoles to compete against, is actually rather crazy to me.
Good thing Sony always adds something to differentiate itself e.g. the great controller and haptics, removable plates, and other things.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah, expect your PC is shit and can't run anything. Same goes for your phone. Does gen Z even know anything about hardware? That's some Boomer level comment.
I agree and lately it seems alot of talking pieces are pushing this narrative or the play everything narrative as if standing out and having your own recognition is bad. It's very weird to me.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Blaming Gen Z and not the console makers and pubs for fucking the industry is very interesting.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's crazy how everything has to be an amalgamation or a big pot of everything to supposedly make money and evolve in gaming.