Phil Spencer "Game Pass price increase is inevitable in the Future"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
New interview in Japanese

(FYI) Phil was asked if there would be a Game Pass price increase in the future

Phil Spencer: "Although the main premise is to provide more value, the price is I think it is inevitable that it will rise in the future. We recently raised our prices once, but the decision was made after careful consideration. We believe it is important to provide services that are recognized as being of sufficient value even if prices are increased."

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
A service with "great value" such that the more it "grows" the more it cost in price thus the lesser the value offered over each subsequent price increase, which is never the last.

The best conman to ever grace gaming.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Most people probably sub on the back of a big new $70 release like Starfield and then forget to cancel for the next 2 years.
That's what they want, just like a gym membership.
If it costs more than $20 a month, they won't.
Just a matter of time before it hits $20. An absolute rip-off unless you play tons of games. And even then when you unsubscribe you own nothing.

The reality is that MS will do well to release four first-party games a year. And even if they do a couple will likely be subpar, or AA fluff.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
That's what they want, just like a gym membership.

Just a matter of time before it hits $20. An absolute rip-off unless you play tons of games. And even then when you unsubscribe you own nothing.

The reality is that MS will do well to release four first-party games a year. And even if they do a couple will likely be subpar, or AA fluff.
Once they get Activision the shareholders will hopefully realise that mobile is where all the money is & Xbox will fuck off out of the console space & go full on mobile

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Once they get Activision the shareholders will hopefully realise that mobile is where all the money is & Xbox will fuck off out of the console space & go full on mobile
I mean mobile is all they're really getting that's high value. CoD will be multiplatform for at least a decade. It will be on GamePass, but I can see a lot of hardcore CoD boys just buying it outright rather than paying for a whole year of Ultimate to rent it.

I can see them getting increasingly desperate when they see how little Hellblade and Avowed do for their numbers.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I mean mobile is all they're really getting that's high value. CoD will be multiplatform for at least a decade. It will be on GamePass, but I can see a lot of hardcore CoD boys just buying it outright rather than paying for a whole year of Ultimate to rent it.

I can see them getting increasingly desperate when they see how little Hellblade and Avowed do for their numbers.
Hellblade is the only game they have announced that I want to play if it wasn't owned by Xbox now they'd be calling it a one & done 3rd person cinematic walking simulator like they do all of Sony's games

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Subscription gaming is getting as ridiculous as streaming tv

Once again, people being naive is walking us right back into another netflix/disney + situation
I actually think it makes more sense for TV for consumers, given how quickly you can consume content. The problem is funding the content and the tendency to go for quantity over quality as demonstrated by Netflix and Disney. Bringing in ads balances things out a bit better for the streaming company.

With gaming, most consumers are barely getting through more than a handful of games a year - and even with multiplayer games most people will probably play the same game for several months/years. So you're effectively paying for a library of hundreds of games, the vast majority of which you will never play.

Now throw in the sheer cost of developing next-gen games and Xbots preferring to not buy games and you're looking at a series of price hikes coming up for GamePass.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I actually think it makes more sense for TV for consumers, given how quickly you can consume content. The problem is funding the content and the tendency to go for quantity over quality as demonstrated by Netflix and Disney. Bringing in ads balances things out a bit better for the streaming company.

With gaming, most consumers are barely getting through more than a handful of games a year - and even with multiplayer games most people will probably play the same game for several months/years. So you're effectively paying for a library of hundreds of games, the vast majority of which you will never play.

Now throw in the sheer cost of developing next-gen games and Xbots preferring to not buy games and you're looking at a series of price hikes coming up for GamePass.
It would make sense if Valve had been able to release the Half Life 2 episodes on a regular basis.

As far as I know, no episodic gaming ever worked.